• Thurs news: Sage R&D layoffs. Another Sanofi radiopharma deal. Novartis loses bid to block generic. Kezar lupus trial stopped. Why are so many pharmacies closing. See more on our front page

Giving Two Weeks Notice

Anonymous

Hi Merckies,

Question. If I give two weeks notice chances are I'll be ordered out of the field that day. Would the company pay me for two weeks, or will my manager check me out within a few days and that's that? So what I am asking is by giving notice would I be losing two weeks of pay?

Yes, you WILL get paid. When I left Merck, I gave my two weeks notice at the beginning of the day of my field visit. I was told to go back home right then and there. It's like getting a 2 weeks paid vacation without having to use your vacation (which you will also get paid for, provided you have any earned vacation left). Good luck to you!

It's like getting a 2 weeks paid vacation without having to use your vacation (which you will also get paid for, provided you have any earned vacation left). Good luck to you!

You will be paid for accumulated VACATION time, but not for unused "Floating Holidays".
Ensure that you use your Floating Holidays BEFORE giving your notice. Also good to ensure that your CONTACTS and any personal stuff you have on your computer are removed from the machine.

Just for fun ... give them 2 MONTHS notice, and see how long they pay you. Once notice is given, they DO NOT want you interacting with Customers.

Enjoy ... you have made a very good choice in removing yourself from Mother's abusive style of nurture.

Thats the point. I gave a month notice and was really trying to do the right thing for the business. And like OP said I did get paid for all that and didn't have to work.

Don't give 2 weeks notice - go out on some cheesy diability, drag it out for 6 months, get paid, look for another job - then leave. Hell - most of my old cluster mates successfully used this strategy. Merck cares NOTHING about you - and never have. Do what is right for you and your family. Merck is dead - the old days are gone - it's time to move on.

Don't give 2 weeks notice - go out on some cheesy diability, drag it out for 6 months, get paid, look for another job - then leave. Hell - most of my old cluster mates successfully used this strategy. Merck cares NOTHING about you - and never have. Do what is right for you and your family. Merck is dead - the old days are gone - it's time to move on.

OMG. I hurt my back lifting boxes....

Everyone moves on. Let them be at peace. We were just chatting...although I liked the fire men/women outfit. Impressive you guys are. Way smarter than me but I'm "ok" with that.

A friend of mine gave 2 weeks notice and they didn't have him leave...he had to call back and say he was done a few days later...but he didn't have samples. I wonder if you have samples if it matters. Say hospital..port 1 does not carry samples...port 2 does.. Is that why??

Give two weeks notice, don't expect to be in the field. You will get two weeks pay.

As they would probably tell you not to work once you give notice, give notice on the day you actually want to finish up. They will probably tell you to call it a career and you should be paid an extra 2 weeks that way. Good luck.

Old thread but interesting enough, I did give a two weeks notice at Merck. DM told me that day they were shutting off my laptop. Understandable, since I was leaving for a competitor. I did not realize I was not getting paid for my last two weeks until I got a letter in the mail after I started my new job that my insurance was cancelled the day I gave my two week resignation. I also didn’t get paid.

Be warned that there is massive surveillance on your PC. If you email, move, copy, etc - anything they consider proprietary information than security will be contacting you to delete it. They will remind you that its their property.

They can see everything you do on your computer. And not just from the moment you give notice, going back months there is a log of all network traffic.

Be warned that there is massive surveillance on your PC. If you email, move, copy, etc - anything they consider proprietary information than security will be contacting you to delete it. They will remind you that its their property.

They can see everything you do on your computer. And not just from the moment you give notice, going back months there is a log of all network traffic.
That is true, and paranoia will destroy ya.