• Mon news: Takeda layoffs. Novo’s semaglutide cardiovascular win. Roche’s Vabysmo in DME. Gilead/Merck HIV combo. Supernus quick-acting depression med. See more on our front page

Diary of a med device rep

anonymous

Many people dream about jumping into the lucrative world of medical device and pharmaceutical sales. Although it is rewarding, its also hard work and not for everyone. As those sales reps who work in operating rooms (OR) are at the top of the sales food chain, we asked a successful medical devices sales person to share a week of his life on the road (meeting with physicians, in and out of the OR, traveling), so you could get some insight into what the job entails and see if you are up for the challenge.

Monday

5:30 am – Leave house to get to hospital for OR case

7:00 am – Arrive at hospital, prepare for OR case

7:30 – 11:30 am – Work in OR

12:00 pm – Leave hospital to go to another hospital to in-service company products

12:30 pm – Meet with surgeon over coffee

1:05 pm – Meet with purchasing department to ensure they are happy and product has been approved

2:30 pm – Check in with OR team to ensure everybody has been in-serviced and is educated on product

3:30 pm – Meet with surgeon on phone regarding case for Tuesday

5:00 pm – Call from OR team regarding surgery time and procedure details

7:00 pm – Drive to UMass Healthcare Worcester, drop off instrument try for case

Inventory set with SPD

10:00 pm arrive home

16.5 hours

Tuesday

4:30 am – Get up to get ready for day

5:30 am – Leave house to drive hour ½ to UMass for a case

7:00 am – Sign into hospital

7:30 – 10:30 – Work case

10:45 – Meet with surgeon to debrief case and go over what product was used

11:00 am – Get instrument try into SPD (STERILE PROCESSING DEPT) wash schedule submit PO with OR team

12:00 – Working lunch make calls to new and existing accounts. Confirm appointments for next few days

3:00 pm – Pick up instruments from SPD

3:30 pm – Leave UMASS arrive home at around 5:00

10.5 hours

Wednesday

6:00 am – Leave house

6:45 am – Pick up coffee and donuts for OR In service

7:30 – In service Neuro OR staff on cement mixing and proper handling procedures

8:30 ‐ 12:00 – Neuro case with cement, submit PO with OR administration

12:15 – Have sandwich with surgeon and de- brief case and implants

1:30 pm – Leave hospital, travel to other hospital

2:30 pm – Arrive at Children’s hospital for meeting with surgeon

4:30 pm – Finished with meeting

4:45 pm – Drive home make calls to OR in NH

6:00 pm – Arrive home grab some food

7:30 – 9:00 pm – Home office work prepare for next day trip to New Hampshire

15 hours

Thursday

6:30 am – Get up and get ready for day

8:00 am – Leave house for 3 hour drive to Lebanon, NH, make work calls during drive

11:00 am – Drop off instrumentation at SPD

11:30 am – At hospital prepare for luncheon

12:00 – 2:30 – In service/ working lunch with OR team

3:30 pm – Meet with surgeon in office

5:00 pm – Check into hotel

6:00 pm – Working diner with key OR personal

8:00 pm – Check in hotel room

12 hours

Friday

6:00 am – Leave hotel for hospital

7:00 am – Arrive in OR suite for 8 pm case

7:45 am – Meet with surgeon for pre- op discussion

8:00 – 10:30 am – Work case, get instruments down to SPD

11:00 am – Confer with purchasing on case in order to get PO approved

12:00 – 3:00 – Drive home

3:00 – 5:00 pm – Home office paper work and wrap up week

11 hours

Total hours worked 60 hours

Our sales representative adds, “There is no typical day and certainly not a 9-5 type schedule. You work until the job is done and it’s always best to start early. The middle of the day surgeons are seeing patients so you try and see surgeons before or after patient visits. I can always track them down in the OR if the situation warrants.” He also added as a tip to aspiring salespeople out there, “Sales relationships are based on the ‘top of the food chain’ but in order to get things done you need to be respectful of the entire team.”

What we can determine by looking at this rep’s week is this is a job for a hard working person, with a typical work week being 60 hours. A OR rep must be ready to leave the house early and get home late. You also need to be a road warrior. This rep drove as much as 3 hours for appointments. OR reps must understand clinical and hospital protocol and present technical information to surgeons and other clinicians.

Many people dream about jumping into the lucrative world of medical device and pharmaceutical sales. Although it is rewarding, its also hard work and not for everyone. As those sales reps who work in operating rooms (OR) are at the top of the sales food chain, we asked a successful medical devices sales person to share a week of his life on the road (meeting with physicians, in and out of the OR, traveling), so you could get some insight into what the job entails and see if you are up for the challenge.

Monday

5:30 am – Leave house to get to hospital for OR case

7:00 am – Arrive at hospital, prepare for OR case

7:30 – 11:30 am – Work in OR

12:00 pm – Leave hospital to go to another hospital to in-service company products

12:30 pm – Meet with surgeon over coffee

1:05 pm – Meet with purchasing department to ensure they are happy and product has been approved

2:30 pm – Check in with OR team to ensure everybody has been in-serviced and is educated on product

3:30 pm – Meet with surgeon on phone regarding case for Tuesday

5:00 pm – Call from OR team regarding surgery time and procedure details

7:00 pm – Drive to UMass Healthcare Worcester, drop off instrument try for case

Inventory set with SPD

10:00 pm arrive home

16.5 hours

Tuesday

4:30 am – Get up to get ready for day

5:30 am – Leave house to drive hour ½ to UMass for a case

7:00 am – Sign into hospital

7:30 – 10:30 – Work case

10:45 – Meet with surgeon to debrief case and go over what product was used

11:00 am – Get instrument try into SPD (STERILE PROCESSING DEPT) wash schedule submit PO with OR team

12:00 – Working lunch make calls to new and existing accounts. Confirm appointments for next few days

3:00 pm – Pick up instruments from SPD

3:30 pm – Leave UMASS arrive home at around 5:00

10.5 hours

Wednesday

6:00 am – Leave house

6:45 am – Pick up coffee and donuts for OR In service

7:30 – In service Neuro OR staff on cement mixing and proper handling procedures

8:30 ‐ 12:00 – Neuro case with cement, submit PO with OR administration

12:15 – Have sandwich with surgeon and de- brief case and implants

1:30 pm – Leave hospital, travel to other hospital

2:30 pm – Arrive at Children’s hospital for meeting with surgeon

4:30 pm – Finished with meeting

4:45 pm – Drive home make calls to OR in NH

6:00 pm – Arrive home grab some food

7:30 – 9:00 pm – Home office work prepare for next day trip to New Hampshire

15 hours

Thursday

6:30 am – Get up and get ready for day

8:00 am – Leave house for 3 hour drive to Lebanon, NH, make work calls during drive

11:00 am – Drop off instrumentation at SPD

11:30 am – At hospital prepare for luncheon

12:00 – 2:30 – In service/ working lunch with OR team

3:30 pm – Meet with surgeon in office

5:00 pm – Check into hotel

6:00 pm – Working diner with key OR personal

8:00 pm – Check in hotel room

12 hours

Friday

6:00 am – Leave hotel for hospital

7:00 am – Arrive in OR suite for 8 pm case

7:45 am – Meet with surgeon for pre- op discussion

8:00 – 10:30 am – Work case, get instruments down to SPD

11:00 am – Confer with purchasing on case in order to get PO approved

12:00 – 3:00 – Drive home

3:00 – 5:00 pm – Home office paper work and wrap up week

11 hours

Total hours worked 60 hours

Our sales representative adds, “There is no typical day and certainly not a 9-5 type schedule. You work until the job is done and it’s always best to start early. The middle of the day surgeons are seeing patients so you try and see surgeons before or after patient visits. I can always track them down in the OR if the situation warrants.” He also added as a tip to aspiring salespeople out there, “Sales relationships are based on the ‘top of the food chain’ but in order to get things done you need to be respectful of the entire team.”

What we can determine by looking at this rep’s week is this is a job for a hard working person, with a typical work week being 60 hours. A OR rep must be ready to leave the house early and get home late. You also need to be a road warrior. This rep drove as much as 3 hours for appointments. OR reps must understand clinical and hospital protocol and present technical information to surgeons and other clinicians.

Add twice divorced to make this post more accurate. Father who doesn't see or know his kids. Good stuff

I left AZ for device sales. I work twice as hard as I ever did at AZ, but this is real sales. The pressure in unrelenting. My relationships with my docs is as close to being their peer as you can possibly get. I have their cell #s, private emails, and unfettered access in the hospitals. I wear many hats on any given day. Now, for the rewards. My income exceeded $450,000 last year, and possibly over $500,000, and possibly much more, this year. have a generous car allowance, and a basically unlimited budget. We are not limited in The networking between device reps is amazing. You are constantly being recruited by other companies, that is, if you are good. Once you have a solid reputation, you can always move to another company. My company, treat you as an adult. There are no "field rides" with your manager. If, you have good manager, they are an invaluable asset, unlike pharma where they contribute nothing.

It's a much different world that pharma sales. Far more pressure, but the income can be amazing. It's hard to break in, because most openings are only advertised to fulfill an HR requirement, and have often been filled before they are even posted. The respect from docs is beyond incredible. I love what I do. I feel that what I do actually makes a difference in patient lives. I have seen that many, many times.

Add twice divorced to make this post more accurate. Father who doesn't see or know his kids. Good stuff

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad
You know I'm gonna be like you."

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then."

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad; come on, let's play
Can you teach me to throw?"
I said, "Not today, I got a lot to do."
He said, "That's okay."
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him."

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man, I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
"What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later; can I have them please?"

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when
But we'll get together then, dad

I've long since retired, and my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind."
He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you."
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

We're gonna have a good time then."

I left AZ for device sales. I work twice as hard as I ever did at AZ, but this is real sales. The pressure in unrelenting. My relationships with my docs is as close to being their peer as you can possibly get. I have their cell #s, private emails, and unfettered access in the hospitals. I wear many hats on any given day. Now, for the rewards. My income exceeded $450,000 last year, and possibly over $500,000, and possibly much more, this year. have a generous car allowance, and a basically unlimited budget. We are not limited in The networking between device reps is amazing. You are constantly being recruited by other companies, that is, if you are good. Once you have a solid reputation, you can always move to another company. My company, treat you as an adult. There are no "field rides" with your manager. If, you have good manager, they are an invaluable asset, unlike pharma where they contribute nothing.

It's a much different world that pharma sales. Far more pressure, but the income can be amazing. It's hard to break in, because most openings are only advertised to fulfill an HR requirement, and have often been filled before they are even posted. The respect from docs is beyond incredible. I love what I do. I feel that what I do actually makes a difference in patient lives. I have seen that many, many times.
Hey Craig, how is it going! How is Margo?

Wow good for you!! You must not have a family or love anyone but your doctors and your money! Idiot

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad
You know I'm gonna be like you."

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad; come on, let's play
Can you teach me to throw?"
I said, "Not today, I got a lot to do."
He said, "That's okay."
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him."

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man, I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
"What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later; can I have them please?"

I've long since retired, and my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind."
He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you."
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

We're gonna have a good time then."

Full of shit , dreamer , these days of cash like that are long gone , when I did it back in 1990 maybe for a few doing inplants but not now - go back to the pizza shop your shift is almost on lol

Looks like all of these soon-to-be-out-of-work pharma reps are jealous of the device guys. I am trying like hell to get on with a good device company. A friend of mine out of state, is pulling in between 400 and 500 a year, no beeper, home by 5 most days. He has tons of pressure, but has learned to deal with it. He used to work for GSK, and laughs about how stupid and amateurish pharma companies are. Ins read of being jealous of these guys, you should get off you lazy asses and try to find a good device company to work for.

You hear the tic-tock of our clock running out?

Looks like all of these soon-to-be-out-of-work pharma reps are jealous of the device guys. I am trying like hell to get on with a good device company. A friend of mine out of state, is pulling in between 400 and 500 a year, no beeper, home by 5 most days. He has tons of pressure, but has learned to deal with it. He used to work for GSK, and laughs about how stupid and amateurish pharma companies are. Ins read of being jealous of these guys, you should get off you lazy asses and try to find a good device company to work for.

Hey , how dumb to you think we are , fucking answering your own the thread , get the fuck off of our...... Site and start your own ( fucking losers dreaming again) Shit head!

I wish like hell I could have found a good device job, but haven't yet. All of the losers making fun of the device guy post are jealous they couldn't. We are nothing but "sign here" delivery boys! Be honest with yourself and admit you were too fucking lazy to even seriously start looking for something else. Maybe you are under the delusion that if you "did a good job", you would be safe. Either way, you fucked up!

I'm perfectly fine to work pharma all day long. It is what it is, and it's pretty dang gone good. Yeah, you could make more working something else, but the actually number of hours, I mean minutes we put in each day is sweet.

That schedule looks like it sucks. Where is the time for the rest of life? I get that there is so much more money to be made, but when do you have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor?

Is the intent of the post to say a device rep is "better" than a pharma rep? Does "better" mean they're more intelligent? For that income range, if they're so much more intelligent, why not just become an orthopedist or cardiologist? Anesthesiologists make a ton.

Maybe pharmaceuticals is the more intelligent decision? Pretty good income. Not a ton of responsibility. 4 years of post graduate education. Plus one can still attain the capstone of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. Lots of extra time to still read literature, seek to understand chaos math, string theory, physics, etc.

In pharmaceuticals, we have discretionary time left to give back to others, or even our own family. One could argue we raise more productive children?

Less income, sure. Less responsibility, maybe. At least we have time to serve others, instead of bragging about how much we make for ourselves.

That schedule looks like it sucks. Where is the time for the rest of life? I get that there is so much more money to be made, but when do you have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor?

Is the intent of the post to say a device rep is "better" than a pharma rep? Does "better" mean they're more intelligent? For that income range, if they're so much more intelligent, why not just become an orthopedist or cardiologist? Anesthesiologists make a ton.

Maybe pharmaceuticals is the more intelligent decision? Pretty good income. Not a ton of responsibility. 4 years of post graduate education. Plus one can still attain the capstone of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. Lots of extra time to still read literature, seek to understand chaos math, string theory, physics, etc.

In pharmaceuticals, we have discretionary time left to give back to others, or even our own family. One could argue we raise more productive children?

Less income, sure. Less responsibility, maybe. At least we have time to serve others, instead of bragging about how much we make for ourselves.
Obviously you a preachment for this sort of analysis, hope you are this good in looking for your new job after Pascal is done with us !