Dear Displaced (Terminated) CDEs

anonymous

You are not alone in your bewilderment, left wondering why after your years of devoted service and best efforts to secure another position, you are now left spending your holidays complying with that long mandated list of items to be returned to the company. Unfortunately, although cardiovascular training and experience, and C sweet health system influence and experience built on trusting relationships hard won over the years was the primary qualifications posted for new positions, these qualities worked against you continuing to work for the company. Your cardiovascular training as an RN CDE and the years it took to connect to those health system higher management decision makers translated into being on a higher pay grade primarily targeted for displacement and then nearly unrehirable. Mostly only lower pay grade RD CDEs were initially retained or rehired with the company regularly hiring externally to comply with the actual driving force…economics…pay fewer and pay them less. Many districts are now entirely or mostly comprised of RD CDEs. Ponder the plight of these new hires and less trained/experienced CDEs heading into health systems which are still stinging from the loss of trusted CDEs who were viewed as members of their care giving teams, health systems which are in communication and will soon learn how many systems will be no longer be served by company diabetes educators, and health systems that can only reach one conclusion from all of this concerning this company’s CDEs…here today, gone tomorrow. Ponder how what happened to you may be a blessing in disguise. Please share this post with a terminated CDE you know. And for those still with the company, be forewarned that as the pharmaceutical competition only intensifies and dark economic clouds are gathering for our country, this treatment of now terminated CDEs reveals company policies and practices which despite the propaganda fog machine which will again be utilized ahead of upcoming additional layoffs...you will not be told the truth and will not be treated fairly. This will never again be the company for whom we once worked with great pride.

<

You are not alone in your bewilderment, left wondering why after your years of devoted service and best efforts to secure another position, you are now left spending your holidays complying with that long mandated list of items to be returned to the company. Unfortunately, although cardiovascular training and experience, and C sweet health system influence and experience built on trusting relationships hard won over the years was the primary qualifications posted for new positions, these qualities worked against you continuing to work for the company. Your cardiovascular training as an RN CDE and the years it took to connect to those health system higher management decision makers translated into being on a higher pay grade primarily targeted for displacement and then nearly unrehirable. Mostly only lower pay grade RD CDEs were initially retained or rehired with the company regularly hiring externally to comply with the actual driving force…economics…pay fewer and pay them less. Many districts are now entirely or mostly comprised of RD CDEs. Ponder the plight of these new hires and less trained/experienced CDEs heading into health systems which are still stinging from the loss of trusted CDEs who were viewed as members of their care giving teams, health systems which are in communication and will soon learn how many systems will be no longer be served by company diabetes educators, and health systems that can only reach one conclusion from all of this concerning this company’s CDEs…here today, gone tomorrow. Ponder how what happened to you may be a blessing in disguise. Please share this post with a terminated CDE you know. And for those still with the company, be forewarned that as the pharmaceutical competition only intensifies and dark economic clouds are gathering for our country, this treatment of now terminated CDEs reveals company policies and practices which despite the propaganda fog machine which will again be utilized ahead of upcoming additional layoffs...you will not be told the truth and will not be treated fairly. This will never again be the company for whom we once worked with great pride.

The industry will chew you up and spit you out in a heartbeat, regardless of title. All just numbers.

The industry will chew you up and spit you out in a heartbeat, regardless of title. All just numbers.

The problem with displaced Novo employees was, most workers were emotionally invested and passionate about the company. Because of this, the layoffs hit them pretty hard. Now that everyone realizes they are just a number, they feel betrayed.

Well said "you will not be told the truth and will not be treated fairly. This will never again be the company for whom we once worked with great pride." Novo has one of the worst severance packages in the industry.

The problem with displaced Novo employees was, most workers were emotionally invested and passionate about the company. Because of this, the layoffs hit them pretty hard. Now that everyone realizes they are just a number, they feel betrayed.

Welcome to the real world. We’re all just a number. It didn’t used to be that way, but NNI has been very different since Jesper took over. We ran him out, but decided to keep the toxic culture he created in place. Doug is just Lars’ errand boy, so I don’t blame him, but it’s a sad state of affairs at NNI now. Nobody gives a shit anymore. Just keep you LT head down, so your job and nothing more. What a treat!

Welcome to the real world. We’re all just a number. It didn’t used to be that way, but NNI has been very different since Jesper took over. We ran him out, but decided to keep the toxic culture he created in place. Doug is just Lars’ errand boy, so I don’t blame him, but it’s a sad state of affairs at NNI now. Nobody gives a shit anymore. Just keep you LT head down, so your job and nothing more. What a treat!

Nothing more here than just another big pharma company that has lost its identity.

I've never worked in pharma but someone very close to me is a Novo employee.

I do work in Corporate America however, and I've seen/survived many layoffs. At my company, all the comments written in each and every post above have been said about my employer by it's employees. (including me)

Just yesterday I bumped into a former co-worker in a supermarket. He told me that he's actually glad he was laid off in 2016. He said he couldn't stand it any longer, he said "I broke my ass for them for many years (he did) and all those son of a bitches did was throw me out."

I said I had had the exact same conversation with many ex-employees, and that I know it "isn't IF I'll get laid off, it's when." He agreed.

That's the new world we live and work in. Great, huh?

Merry Christmas and may God Bless you all.

I've never worked in pharma but someone very close to me is a Novo employee.

I do work in Corporate America however, and I've seen/survived many layoffs. At my company, all the comments written in each and every post above have been said about my employer by it's employees. (including me)

Just yesterday I bumped into a former co-worker in a supermarket. He told me that he's actually glad he was laid off in 2016. He said he couldn't stand it any longer, he said "I broke my ass for them for many years (he did) and all those son of a bitches did was throw me out."

I said I had had the exact same conversation with many ex-employees, and that I know it "isn't IF I'll get laid off, it's when." He agreed.

That's the new world we live and work in. Great, huh?

Merry Christmas and may God Bless you all.
Nice post! Every pharma rep needs a back up plan these days. Preferably a side gig or the ability to quickly branch to another industry or to another revenue stream when needed. All pharma jobs are Temp jobs now. Doesn't matter if you're with a manufacturer or in contract sales, it's all temporary. If you delude yourself into thinking your (up to this point) stable job that you've held for the past 5+ years is secure, you're headed for a big surprise. Sure, a few will continue in their current roles, miraculously having survived past layoffs, but those types are now the rare breed. And, if you haven't had to conduct a job search in years, you are in for a nasty experience!

Nice post! Every pharma rep needs a back up plan these days. Preferably a side gig or the ability to quickly branch to another industry or to another revenue stream when needed. All pharma jobs are Temp jobs now. Doesn't matter if you're with a manufacturer or in contract sales, it's all temporary. If you delude yourself into thinking your (up to this point) stable job that you've held for the past 5+ years is secure, you're headed for a big surprise. Sure, a few will continue in their current roles, miraculously having survived past layoffs, but those types are now the rare breed. And, if you haven't had to conduct a job search in years, you are in for a nasty experience!

Lots of truth here. as a senior rep in my 50s, I've been laid off/displaced several times. I know that as I get older, the likelihood of a rehire gets smaller and smaller.

Bottom line- you need to live below your means when you work in pharma, and EXPECT a layoff every few years. Save up at least 9-12 months of living expenses, and max out your company benefits(401k, pension, etc). If you want to stay in industry, keep network on LinedIn updated regularly, and keep documents of job performance, reviews, etc etc. DO NOT buy/hold company stock!! If something bad happens, you will be the last person to find out!! Good luck to all.

Lots of truth here. as a senior rep in my 50s, I've been laid off/displaced several times. I know that as I get older, the likelihood of a rehire gets smaller and smaller.

Bottom line- you need to live below your means when you work in pharma, and EXPECT a layoff every few years. Save up at least 9-12 months of living expenses, and max out your company benefits(401k, pension, etc). If you want to stay in industry, keep network on LinedIn updated regularly, and keep documents of job performance, reviews, etc etc. DO NOT buy/hold company stock!! If something bad happens, you will be the last person to find out!! Good luck to all.

Such good advice - I wish I read it earlier. I am 50 and recently laid off from a position I held for 6 years. I was not prepared that countless months would go by with just a few bites on the dozens of positions I have submitted applications. It's very disheartening and frightening.

look moron- don't make statements about what NN doesn't offer unless you can back up your statements with what they do offer. Jeez. Quit playing your ninja mind tricks for a damn minute.

5 years here doesn’t get you 5 months severance. So you are wrong. And it all also depends on your grade level. So...it’s not an easy answer. But it most definitely is not 1 month for every year.

5 years here doesn’t get you 5 months severance. So you are wrong. And it all also depends on your grade level. So...it’s not an easy answer. But it most definitely is not 1 month for every year.
You are correct. At the Director level, the most recent severance was 2 weeks/year of service with a minimum of 16 weeks. Below the Director level, same 2 weeks/year but no minimum.