Correction: Merck Bought Idenix

<

I do not buy the On-line or early edition. what gives?

I do not see any story about Merck buying Idenix. There were many stories about 2 years ago when Pharmasett was bought for 11 b, followed by Inhibitex for 2.5B. Idenix was the only company left with "nucleotide" technology. The buyout never happened and those rumors went away. I do see the Baupost Group has steadily increased its ownership with the latest release of the outsized increase in share purchase from 20% to 27% with the next biggest shareholder being Novartis with 25% ownership. Bain Capital is the next largest owner at 10%. I do not even see how Merck could acquire this company if it wanted to. There are not enough "open" shares. We will see, because something IS GOING ON.

I do not see any story about Merck buying Idenix. There were many stories about 2 years ago when Pharmasett was bought for 11 b, followed by Inhibitex for 2.5B. Idenix was the only company left with "nucleotide" technology. The buyout never happened and those rumors went away. I do see the Baupost Group has steadily increased its ownership with the latest release of the outsized increase in share purchase from 20% to 27% with the next biggest shareholder being Novartis with 25% ownership. Bain Capital is the next largest owner at 10%. I do not even see how Merck could acquire this company if it wanted to. There are not enough "open" shares. We will see, because something IS GOING ON.

I own a whole bunch of that Gilead Stock. I somehow do not think they would buy a 11 billion dollar company and lose a patent fight.

I do not think people should pump individual stocks here on this board. However, I do know this company and it is a takeover candidate and merck was rumored to be interested in buying it a few years back.

No, they did not, that is pure speculation because Mrk wants to improve HCV, yet layoff HCV employees -- and Idenix is an HCV company that seems to be growing - gained 40% Fri