CNS...what now?

Anonymous

Now that CNS is officially a well paid primary care sales force are we going to transition them under the Primary care management team or be redundant with managers? Does anyone know the answer?

<

Well we do know this. Medimmune is beside itself that you were added on to them. They refer to you as the MovanTICKs. Get it? In case you didn't notice we long ago abandoned Neuro as a priority area (no one can solve Alz riddle) except for a handful of University collaborations. Ever been to one of those meetings? A bunch of academics in cardigans lamenting that they did not join evil pharma while disparaging us all along the way.

You are toast as we say over here across the pond. By the way we love this site and we still have more headcount here in the UK than you do. BWWHHAAHAHAHA

AstraZeneca to spin off anti-infectives research
2 March 2015Phillip Broadwith
The early-stage anti-infectives research wing of Anglo-Swedish pharma major AstraZeneca (AZ) is being spun out to form a stand-alone subsidiary. The new firm will receive $40 million (£26 million) from AZ, as well as staff from the company’s Innovative Medicines unit in Waltham, US. Around 95 staff will be affected, and AZ expects several of those not transferred to the new company to be relocated within AZ.

The new company’s principal asset will be the novel gyrase inhibitor AZD0914, which is currently in Phase II clinical trials for treating gonorrhoea. AZ will retain all its anti-infectives that are already on the market, as well as its biological drug programmes through MedImmune. Both AZ and MedImmune will continue to contribute to the European Innovative Medicines Initiative programme for combating bacterial resistance, an AZ spokeswoman confirmed.

AstraZeneca to spin off anti-infectives research
2 March 2015Phillip Broadwith
The early-stage anti-infectives research wing of Anglo-Swedish pharma major AstraZeneca (AZ) is being spun out to form a stand-alone subsidiary. The new firm will receive $40 million (£26 million) from AZ, as well as staff from the company’s Innovative Medicines unit in Waltham, US. Around 95 staff will be affected, and AZ expects several of those not transferred to the new company to be relocated within AZ.

The new company’s principal asset will be the novel gyrase inhibitor AZD0914, which is currently in Phase II clinical trials for treating gonorrhoea. AZ will retain all its anti-infectives that are already on the market, as well as its biological drug programmes through MedImmune. Both AZ and MedImmune will continue to contribute to the European Innovative Medicines Initiative programme for combating bacterial resistance, an AZ spokeswoman confirmed.

So CNS will now be STD. Interesting. Will they all have to be infected gonorrhoea to be considered for the position. I'm definately up for the transfer but that might be too much!!

Tim Anderson
Pascal, I’m trying just go back, I wasn’t just referring to the Celgene deal. But just - but general idea that board has said a number that’s kind of forcing you guys to re-categorize revenues and things differently than most of your competitors would just book at lot of assets sales as continuing operations revenues?
Luke Miels
Yes, I mean, sorry, I’m - maybe I should have to address that one more specifically. I mean, this is a target that we have, which I think overall is actually a good target, because we have to define our profit here. But more importantly, I don’t think we should necessarily conclude. This is forcing us to do things we would not do otherwise, because what is doing here is, in fact, what we’re doing here is implementing the strategy that we communicated last year, which is - we everybody - every company has limitation resources. Everybody has to make a choice, series of choices.
So we could have decided we’re going to stop a great variety of projects. We’re going to close a number of research efforts, which is what many companies do. We said no, we have great scientists, great science, and we’ll take this science and bring it to patients to create value. And, of course, it’s not going to be a 100% value left with us. But we’ll get 50% of a bigger value. I mean, the base in EBITDA is another good example. It would be bigger with Lilly than it would have been in our hands and we keep 50% of a bigger pie, if you will.
So we’re basically implementing a different strategy. It’s a strategy, which is a mixture of what a biotech company would do and what a large pharma company would do, and we don’t want to necessarily to be a large pharma company like everybody else. We have biotech units. We set our business up that way, and now we want to kind of allow them to turn these products into reality. Otherwise the alternative is, we stop doing CNS activities. We stop doing an infection. We stop doing a variety of things. We said no, we will turn these products into reality differently.
So, I mean, so it’s maybe a long answer. The €420 million no doubt is suddenly a target that is not necessarily easy to achieve, but everybody has challenging targets. But I really don’t think it is necessarily forcing us to do things that are bad, because we are actually going to focus ourselves on the few things we do well, and the rest will look at partnerships.
And your point about not having too many partnerships is a good one, and suddenly one that we’re considering. Of course, we don’t want to have so many partnerships that becomes and widely to manage. Should I ask Andrew to jump in? Andrew Baum, do you have a question?

Tim Anderson
Pascal, I’m trying just go back, I wasn’t just referring to the Celgene deal. But just - but general idea that board has said a number that’s kind of forcing you guys to re-categorize revenues and things differently than most of your competitors would just book at lot of assets sales as continuing operations revenues?
Luke Miels
Yes, I mean, sorry, I’m - maybe I should have to address that one more specifically. I mean, this is a target that we have, which I think overall is actually a good target, because we have to define our profit here. But more importantly, I don’t think we should necessarily conclude. This is forcing us to do things we would not do otherwise, because what is doing here is, in fact, what we’re doing here is implementing the strategy that we communicated last year, which is - we everybody - every company has limitation resources. Everybody has to make a choice, series of choices.
So we could have decided we’re going to stop a great variety of projects. We’re going to close a number of research efforts, which is what many companies do. We said no, we have great scientists, great science, and we’ll take this science and bring it to patients to create value. And, of course, it’s not going to be a 100% value left with us. But we’ll get 50% of a bigger value. I mean, the base in EBITDA is another good example. It would be bigger with Lilly than it would have been in our hands and we keep 50% of a bigger pie, if you will.
So we’re basically implementing a different strategy. It’s a strategy, which is a mixture of what a biotech company would do and what a large pharma company would do, and we don’t want to necessarily to be a large pharma company like everybody else. We have biotech units. We set our business up that way, and now we want to kind of allow them to turn these products into reality. Otherwise the alternative is, we stop doing CNS activities. We stop doing an infection. We stop doing a variety of things. We said no, we will turn these products into reality differently.
So, I mean, so it’s maybe a long answer. The €420 million no doubt is suddenly a target that is not necessarily easy to achieve, but everybody has challenging targets. But I really don’t think it is necessarily forcing us to do things that are bad, because we are actually going to focus ourselves on the few things we do well, and the rest will look at partnerships.
And your point about not having too many partnerships is a good one, and suddenly one that we’re considering. Of course, we don’t want to have so many partnerships that becomes and widely to manage. Should I ask Andrew to jump in? Andrew Baum, do you have a question?

What does this mean on the streets? Layoffs?

Contract force will take xr soon.

What's an "XR"? I quit selling that POS the day Big Mo came out. There is no CNS anymore. If AZ were smart, they would consolidate into 2 sale forces, each with whatever viable drugs are left after 2017, reduce headcount by over 50%, and the rest would have a job for many years to come! This would almost guarantee job security for whomever survived.

First thing though, is to fire the Pascal the Fool!

They will have both. Who are we kidding with XR.?
how often do we actually discuss XR? Be honest, NEVER! Management knows a monkey can show up with an iPad and collect a signature. This is an OLD drug. Yes it is profitable but it will still be profitable when Touchpoint takes it.
Have you noticed our marketshare taking a slow dive?

We have big Mo, we will survive!