• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Clutzy CTLs; Terrible Organization and Desperate People

Anonymous

Alright - I've been here for 12 years. I've had some good managers (CTLs) and some bad ones. Mostly good. I used to love this job. Go home, take off my suit and enjoy my family. I didn't worry about the "busy bees" working overtime, in the background.

Now........

My manager is sending me "actionable" items at 6pm to be completed by noon the next day when I have a full day. Not complaining about doing the work....seems like we do a lot of unnecessary things for the hell of it that bring no value. Should I ask my CTL what the ROI is for doing stupid, meaningless reports? Haha. That would be funny. Not only that, but my CTL goes into my office and pisses off all my customers. They tries to fit in being a back-slapper etc. but they are culturally challenged and don't realize that they are acting like a fool. I wished I had my second manager again, who was my BEST. But - it's all good, I smile and nod at my Ctl when they "coach" me. Funny how I have been lucky enough to have a good formulary situation and had good numbers. Keeps my CTL off my back. Plus I keep my thoughts to myself and don't talk about my job to anyone else (not even my spouse) mostly because I'm embarrassed about what I do.

I am convinced this organization will shrink (like the rest of the industry) and it will be dog eat dog when the workforce is whittled. We're already starting to see that - I had 2 good colleagues get PIP'd out of the bus. last year who were older than me and both were damn good reps. Funny how the rest of the sales team turned their back on them - interesting dynamic. I used to think good people were in this industry but now I see a bunch of cowardly sycophants that will do anything to remain pharma whores and deliver their Boston Market for a paycheck. It's like seeing a bunch of white collar crack addicts holding onto their rock. Tragic. Sad. Humiliating.

I have been interviewing and I keep hearing the same thing over and over - "How do I know that you actually contributed to the sales process when you have another overlay, and you have had several in the past?" I try and try - examples, I did this, I was aggressive, I did that. Nobody believes me. Nobody cares. Pharma is a dead end job that offers no meaningful skill sets. I am worried about getting a good job when the hangover from this job sets in.

Anyway - I had a big dinner at my house last night with non-pharma friends. They asked me about my job and I sensed they could see the dull look in my eyes that says "this job sucks." Most of them had a glitter in their eyes about their jobs. I wish I had that. Lost it about 2004.

So I type this feeling awful about my station in life. Hate this job. Lord, save me.

<

I know it's little consolation, but you are definitely not alone in feeling awful about your job. You've been lucky to have felt good about it until 2004 when our VIOXX mess erupted. I couldn't stand the place or the job for years before that. All I can say is I only regret not leaving Merck much sooner. You should know that you'll be far better off away from Merck and then look forward to that day and do all you can to make it happen.

Merck can write a book on micro-managing gone wrong. All of the nightmare stories I am hearing about reps and their managers, wow! The sad part is Merck's training department teaches management to behave exactly this way, down to the exact wording. In Merck, management doesn't think for themselves. They are given a script to follow and they are expected to follow it by their bosses. I know this because my manager shares with me some of the stuff that goes on in their meetings and it's really sickening to hear. Fortunately, I've known my manager for a while and we used to be territory partners.

It's usually the youngest managers that go over-the-top with the "coaching sessions" to show their bosses and send a message to the field that they want to be taken seriously. Instead, they look like psychotic fools. Unfortunately, there are few managers left that actually sold products for more than 3 years and have been around the block to know when to filter out most of the garbage, encourage their reps and create an environment within the team that will allow them to police the district itself without the manager having to be a lunatic. Nope, Merck sure they got rid of the experienced management starting in 1999. Now Merck treats its reps like we are in kindergarten and they hire teenagers for minimum wage to run things. Can you say chaos?

Alright - I've been here for 12 years. I've had some good managers (CTLs) and some bad ones. Mostly good. I used to love this job. Go home, take off my suit and enjoy my family. I didn't worry about the "busy bees" working overtime, in the background.

Now........

My manager is sending me "actionable" items at 6pm to be completed by noon the next day when I have a full day. Not complaining about doing the work....seems like we do a lot of unnecessary things for the hell of it that bring no value. Should I ask my CTL what the ROI is for doing stupid, meaningless reports? Haha. That would be funny. Not only that, but my CTL goes into my office and pisses off all my customers. They tries to fit in being a back-slapper etc. but they are culturally challenged and don't realize that they are acting like a fool. I wished I had my second manager again, who was my BEST. But - it's all good, I smile and nod at my Ctl when they "coach" me. Funny how I have been lucky enough to have a good formulary situation and had good numbers. Keeps my CTL off my back. Plus I keep my thoughts to myself and don't talk about my job to anyone else (not even my spouse) mostly because I'm embarrassed about what I do.

I am convinced this organization will shrink (like the rest of the industry) and it will be dog eat dog when the workforce is whittled. We're already starting to see that - I had 2 good colleagues get PIP'd out of the bus. last year who were older than me and both were damn good reps. Funny how the rest of the sales team turned their back on them - interesting dynamic. I used to think good people were in this industry but now I see a bunch of cowardly sycophants that will do anything to remain pharma whores and deliver their Boston Market for a paycheck. It's like seeing a bunch of white collar crack addicts holding onto their rock. Tragic. Sad. Humiliating.

I have been interviewing and I keep hearing the same thing over and over - "How do I know that you actually contributed to the sales process when you have another overlay, and you have had several in the past?" I try and try - examples, I did this, I was aggressive, I did that. Nobody believes me. Nobody cares. Pharma is a dead end job that offers no meaningful skill sets. I am worried about getting a good job when the hangover from this job sets in.

Anyway - I had a big dinner at my house last night with non-pharma friends. They asked me about my job and I sensed they could see the dull look in my eyes that says "this job sucks." Most of them had a glitter in their eyes about their jobs. I wish I had that. Lost it about 2004.

So I type this feeling awful about my station in life. Hate this job. Lord, save me.

oh man...reading your post makes me so glad I finally found the courage to leave...good analogy you used with white collar "crack." People stabbing each other in the back...too many rats in the cafe vying for the cheese crumbles...

I hate to tell you this but (depending on your age) you have good reason to worry...As you noted, the job provides no transferable skill sets...I have essentially had to start from scratch in my early 50s...not fun...(but less stressful than dying on the vine at Schmerck...

Get the hell out of that toxic waste dump and get on with your life...It will be the best decision you will ever make...You won't missed being "coached" by the nitwits who are in management.

FU MERCK!!

oh man...reading your post makes me so glad I finally found the courage to leave...good analogy you used with white collar "crack." People stabbing each other in the back...too many rats in the cafe vying for the cheese crumbles...

I hate to tell you this but (depending on your age) you have good reason to worry...As you noted, the job provides no transferable skill sets...I have essentially had to start from scratch in my early 50s...not fun...(but less stressful than dying on the vine at Schmerck...

Get the hell out of that toxic waste dump and get on with your life...It will be the best decision you will ever make...You won't missed being "coached" by the nitwits who are in management.

FU MERCK!!

Wow my transferable skill sets will get me something else without much effort or retraining. My rep skills right now....data entry, learning, being tested (regurg 101), scheduling, talking, giving the data, knowing when to shut up, driving, parking, picking up boxes, opening boxes, stacking boxes, running around, giving resource, pleasing my nitwit, being on time, keeping my things in order, getting good lunches, picking up the tab, working with cronies, covering my sprouting greys, making those numbers and getting those VP trophies...

Seriously....you do need to dig deeper. Find out what you have to offer. What you are good at and market yourself....

:)

Merck can write a book on micro-managing gone wrong. All of the nightmare stories I am hearing about reps and their managers, wow! The sad part is Merck's training department teaches management to behave exactly this way, down to the exact wording. In Merck, management doesn't think for themselves. They are given a script to follow and they are expected to follow it by their bosses. I know this because my manager shares with me some of the stuff that goes on in their meetings and it's really sickening to hear. Fortunately, I've known my manager for a while and we used to be territory partners.

It's usually the youngest managers that go over-the-top with the "coaching sessions" to show their bosses and send a message to the field that they want to be taken seriously. Instead, they look like psychotic fools. Unfortunately, there are few managers left that actually sold products for more than 3 years and have been around the block to know when to filter out most of the garbage, encourage their reps and create an environment within the team that will allow them to police the district itself without the manager having to be a lunatic. Nope, Merck sure they got rid of the experienced management starting in 1999. Now Merck treats its reps like we are in kindergarten and they hire teenagers for minimum wage to run things. Can you say chaos?

"...there are few managers left that actually sold products for more than 3 years and have been around the block......" What other kind of industry would permit this? Generally management is reserved for the most experienced. Those who have the life experience and list of accomplishments that show strengths and abilities in handling situations and managing other people....Now we're seeing the opposite? Experienced managed by the inexperienced.....If this is happening its a lunatic move on the part of the company.....