• Mon news: Ventyx gets boost from Sanofi. PhRMA IRA legal challenge gets new life. AZ breast cancer drug disappoints. Teva’s once-monthly schizophrenia med. AZ gets FDA approval for first self-administered flu vaccine. See more on our front page

Axios: Aduhelm's big miss

anonymous

Biogen sold $300,000 worth of Aduhelm in the third quarter, well below Wall Street's expectations, Axios' Bob Herman writes.

• It prompted analysts at Raymond James to call the Alzheimer's drug "potentially the worst drug launch of all time" amid Biogen's "persistent hyperbole about the drug's purported benefits."
The big picture: Aduhelm's controversial approval and high price tag have shaped the market reaction. Health insurers are hesitant to cover Aduhelm until Medicare makes a decision next year, and doctors aren't embracing the drug, either.

What they're saying: Biogen CEO Michel Vounatsos told Wall Street analysts yesterday the main reason there has been almost no uptake of Aduhelm is the "lack of clarity on reimbursement," which Medicare will clear up by next year.

• Biogen has no short-term plans to lower the price of Aduhelm — which is about $4,300 per monthly infusion for the average patient, or $56,000 annually — because "price doesn't come up as the first worry," Vounatsos said.
  • The company declined to comment further.
What we're watching: Biogen executives said the company submitted Aduhelm's clinical trial results "to a top-tier journal with a manuscript now under peer review," but did not provide any further details.

Read more.

<

Well, it’s nice to know we could be number 1 in something.

“potentially the worst drug launch of all time" amid Biogen's "persistent hyperbole about the drug's purported benefits."

Michel is correct. Price is not the first worry for most of my doctors.

Generally, first they say that aduhelm doesn’t work and then they say that it is too expensive.

After that, they bring up the brain swelling and bleeding.

Then they will mention the shady FDA approval process and congressional investigation.

Once those 4-5 concerns are voiced, they usually tell me to get out.

According to my manager, the best approach to solve those objections is weekly call frequency and to hold them accountable.

Generally, first they say that aduhelm doesn’t work and then they say that it is too expensive.

Then they will mention the shady FDA approval process and congressional investigation.

According to my manager, the best approach to solve those objections is weekly call frequency and to hold them accountable.

How is that working out? Do you even get three words out now before being shutdown? Will just get annoying after about 3 calls. I guess there's metrics to meet...

wow atleast you’re getting in to speak to the doctor.