• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

August 2011 Layoffs

<

How did you get the number 950 ? And what percent of our sales force is it, would you say that is all the respiratory a reps or another decision like the inspire reps that were brought on or it could be the vacant and open territory's they are talking about.?

I've been with Merck for 10 years and it's time for this hostage crisis to end. I was a hand raiser last round of layoffs and I still couldn't get let go. The longer I stay in this mindless job the less brain function I have and the more complacent I become. I know I don't sound grateful but I'd rather get my severance and start another life outside of Pharma instead of wasting my days sitting in waiting rooms reading magazines or playing solitaire on my laptop.

I've been with Merck for 10 years and it's time for this hostage crisis to end. I was a hand raiser last round of layoffs and I still couldn't get let go. The longer I stay in this mindless job the less brain function I have and the more complacent I become. I know I don't sound grateful but I'd rather get my severance and start another life outside of Pharma instead of wasting my days sitting in waiting rooms reading magazines or playing solitaire on my laptop.

You sound like a manager, reps are too busy for solitaire.

I disagree. I left Merck several years ago for another company. The Merck reps I now run into are so beaten down there seems to be no drive to compete or succeed. Afterall, the goal is customer service. Lots of time for magazines.

We used to wish whoever leaving well in the past. Now we wish the other rep is the chosen one by Merck to be downsized. I even hear from a few that they no longer want to go on a trip with the bonus, not knowing if the money is needed soon if they are out of a job. That kind of thinking is a reflection of a toxic company. I am sure it seeps into a rep's every single facet of thinking out there.

I disagree. I left Merck several years ago for another company. The Merck reps I now run into are so beaten down there seems to be no drive to compete or succeed. Afterall, the goal is customer service. Lots of time for magazines.

There's no big customer service emphasis with the managers I know. It's all numbers, numbers, numbers, where we compare to other districts and regions, frequency and reach too. Sales low, you're not producing! Satisfied customers but its big pressure for sales numbers and being the leaders.

word is a large percentage of sales/managers will be let go soon. probably will not hit reps as bad since there are so many open positions, but managers better have a resume.

How did you get the number 950 ? And what percent of our sales force is it, would you say that is all the respiratory a reps or another decision like the inspire reps that were brought on or it could be the vacant and open territory's they are talking about.?

My guess, and that is all it is, is reduction of about 20-40% for reps (including current unfilled positions), which means not many actual cuts. Managers, different story all together. Managers with less than 8 reps should worry.

I work in HQs and was at a meeting today in which reductions in headcount within the sales force was discussed. Look for a mandatory teleconference to be held Monday, August 15 to announce numbers, timing and process. The early read is around 45% of the sales force to be separated, effective December 31. Severance package to be trimmed back considerably from previous reductions in force and our merger with SP. Leadership projects no impact on top line sales with a significant impact on net operating income.

Best wishes to my colleagues within the field sales organization.

Are you serious or just pulling our leg? Do you know what sales force? There are like 10 or so different divisions? Vaccine, port 1 port 2 HIV, hep c, hospital, optm,oncology, animal health? To name a few, what do you think.?

As soon as you realize that the goal of the merger was intellectual property only, and the goal is to get the global force back to pre-merger manpower levels, the rest will be easy to figure out. Polish up your resume's. Too bad the legacy Schering Plough folks won't be spared by the next severance package rollout next year.
It may have saved them their jobs in 2010 but not in 2012. (2 weeks/year of service - Merck vs 3 weeks/year of service -SP)