• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Anyone negotiating severance?

<

Are we still getting our severance if we start with Oapi in January? Are we sure about this?

Yes, you will. You do not need to tell BMS if you are going to Otsuka in January. Otsuka did offer huge signing bonuses, but most were slightly less than what your severance would be. You also lose your December bonus if you start with Otsuka on Dec. 28th as opposed to Jan. 2nd or Jan. 7th.

Start in January. You will probably profit by doing so--not by much, but enjoy your holiday and don't worry about starting a new job until January.

You sit by the phone. They call you from HR and give you the news. They read a prepared statement. Conversation over. No discussion. One minute later your email and voice mail are cut off. Later in the morning a FedEx package arrives with instructions. They send for your car. Your severance is deposited until it expires. You never hear from them again.

You sit by the phone. They call you from HR and give you the news. They read a prepared statement. Conversation over. No discussion. One minute later your email and voice mail are cut off. Later in the morning a FedEx package arrives with instructions. They send for your car. Your severance is deposited until it expires. You never hear from them again.

EXACTLY
and you have about a week to sign or not sign the "I won't sue you because you shit canned me for nasty, illegal, and immoral reasons".
No sign,..no "severance" (except maybe 3 weeks and a swift kick in the ass).

Yes, you will. You do not need to tell BMS if you are going to Otsuka in January. Otsuka did offer huge signing bonuses, but most were slightly less than what your severance would be. You also lose your December bonus if you start with Otsuka on Dec. 28th as opposed to Jan. 2nd or Jan. 7th.

Start in January. You will probably profit by doing so--not by much, but enjoy your holiday and don't worry about starting a new job until January.

This is some really bad, bad advice. That severance runs out fast and once you have joined the ranks of unemployed your status and desirability to prospective companies drops dramatically.
" It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose your own." ~Harry S Truman

This is some really bad, bad advice. That severance runs out fast and once you have joined the ranks of unemployed your status and desirability to prospective companies drops dramatically.
" It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose your own." ~Harry S Truman

so does the otsuka sign on bonus. What's the difference?

At Otsuka you will have an income and a position you can leverage for something else if you want to. Unemployed is unemployed.

I'm not going to be unemployed. I have an offer with Otsuka and I am getting my severance from BMS. There is no incentive for me to come over early. I have to pay back money to Otsuka if I come over early. I'm starting Jan 2.