• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

After I left Merck I had an epiphany!!! I HATE TO WORK!!

anonymous

I am so glad that I enjoyed Merck's corporate welfare for as long as I did...

It was nice having a six figure part time job, where I could work the 4 T's...(Tuesday-Thursday 10-2)

You can imagine my shock when I retired, and entered the world of real jobs to keep busy
and fortify my savings until I reach 65...

Oh my...the pharmaceutical industry is quite the phony bubble job...get out into a real sales job, and you realize many things...

I realized that I hate sales and hate to work a real job...

<

Work was a shock after pharma...never knew there was that much traffic at 7:30 in morning..
what?! my manager really didn't want to hear about my great doughnut delivery plan to move market share or how pizza lunches would open the sales up...instead there was a spreadsheet with dollars signs and some numbers in red at the bottom, apparently red numbers are bad. My new manager didn't even want to role play!

Work was a shock after pharma...never knew there was that much traffic at 7:30 in morning..
what?! my manager really didn't want to hear about my great doughnut delivery plan to move market share or how pizza lunches would open the sales up...instead there was a spreadsheet with dollars signs and some numbers in red at the bottom, apparently red numbers are bad. My new manager didn't even want to role play!

Love it!! Yes, I can totally relate! I too, never realized how much traffic there was in those early mornings and what people consider rush hour...(5-6pm) By 3:00 PM in pharma, I was usually home in bed taking a siesta to prepare for my evenings out...

Wow...in a real sales job it was either sell, or be dismissed very quickly...In Big Pharma it is amazing how bad your numbers can be, and you still keep the job...And if you are one of the favorites of your CTL or a cute chick, you don't even have to worry much about even doing the job...You have guaranteed employment...

As I have said before on CP, the reason the pharmaceutical industry is able to operate like it does, is because they basically have a license to fleece the public of huge sums of money...There are entire 3rd world countries that don't have the GDP's of just the money Merck wastes and leaves on the table due to their abundant corruption and incompetence. It may be one of the worst run companies in America now...A far cry from the days of Fortune magazine glory.

In any case, mothers don't let your sons and daughters grow up to be drug reps...It will destroy any wok ethic they might be starting out with, and most certainly skew their sense of reality in the "real" job world.

Love the retirement gig! It is the greatest; no schedule, time is your own, do whatever you desire and no corporate bullshit to do, hear, see. Oh..........life is great outside of pharma.