• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

advice..

Anonymous

I am posting on a few device boards hoping to get some suggestions on how to make the move from pharma to device sale. I have been in pharma for 15 years and have had a great career here. I have stayed with this company for so long because my base is $115K, 20K in bonuses and the work/life balance has been ideal while my kids were younger. Now that they are older and I need to pay for college, I want a position in medical device where there are better financial opportunities and the position is more challenging.

I think the problem is that companies and recruiters look at me as a sample dropper that can't sell my way out of a box and I can't even get a phone call. My obstacle is overcoming this perception because I am not a glorified UPS driver and I can in fact sell. I have a science degree and can easily grasp the technical end of the position and my sales skills are above average. I actually do try to talk to my target physicians on every call and I have won several awards which reinforce the fact that I can sell. So, how do I convince those that are doing the hiring to at least give me a phone interview? I think I have a good resume but when they see 15 years in pharma, I don't think they are even giving me an opportunity.

Any insight or suggestions would be helpful. Or any recruiters that actually take the time to talk to a potential candidate would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

<

Device sales is all about relationships. Look at the relationships you could bring to the table...by specialty, clinic managers, anything...and leverage that. i've seen people jump around companies every 2-3 years with no repurcussions...all because they have a solid book of contacts and relationships they bring in the door.

Good luck.

Good advice from the previous poster. You need an internal referral and someone that will stand up for you. Once that happens, it's all about the impression you make on the recruiter/hiring manager.

Approach the opportunity with all the planning and time commitment as if you were looking for a job without having one currently. Device sales is rewarding, both professionally and financially. But, it is hard work and many times long hours. You are making the right decision.

Good luck in your pursuits.