• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

A key patent expiry for Januvia may lead to generics sooner than expected

anonymous

April 24, 2017 a patent for Januvia expired. This patent protected the use of our DPP4 in lowering glucose in mammals. Even though it doesn't specifically say type 2 diabetes it may open the door to generic companies being allowed to manufacture their own. Method of regulating glucose metabolism is expiring in 2019. Another possible window for generic companies. Then our major patents expire in 2022. May seem like a long way off but it comes quick! We need more products approved very soon.

<

Management doesn't talk about the possibility. I have also heard that generic companies are fighting in court for permission and may get approval soon. Sun pharma was granted FDA approval back in 2012 to produce generic Januvia but that was contingent on patent expiry. Merck has good lawyers that can possibly drag this out a little while. But they are not going to be able to delay until 2022. We will see but I do believe it will be soon.

Management doesn't talk about the possibility. I have also heard that generic companies are fighting in court for permission and may get approval soon. Sun pharma was granted FDA approval back in 2012 to produce generic Januvia but that was contingent on patent expiry. Merck has good lawyers that can possibly drag this out a little while. But they are not going to be able to delay until 2022. We will see but I do believe it will be soon.

2019 will be the perfect storm, mass pension exits and loss of Januvia. Complete catastrophe

lawyers are fighting hard. Our leadership is waiting for a better idea of what we are facing before commencing with layoffs. Belsomra team is definitely gone, but will we downsize diabetes as well? Do we need 2 reps in each territory with an established product? One on the decline?