2 Job Offers on the table, need advice.

Anonymous

So, I come from payroll, and have been trying for about 2 years to break into medical device. Finally, I got an offer, and then another offer at the same time.

Here is what I have:

Offer 1: Base 70k, bonus 25% of base, product is established, manager is the best person I have ever met in the business world and I mean a super nice person, but the company is not very stable and the product is facing many challenges. Territory is local.

Offer 2: Base 79k, bonus 30% of base, product is new but projecting to do well, manager is nice woman but a career only woman, and company is more stable. Some overnight travel, not a big deal.

I am leaning on Offer 2 because the pay is better and the company more stable. But, I know the manager is going to "nicely" micromanage, which is not a big deal, because I am a "sales rat", I mean I love to work.

How do you evaluate these situations?

Thank you!

<

So, I come from payroll, and have been trying for about 2 years to break into medical device. Finally, I got an offer, and then another offer at the same time.

Here is what I have:

Offer 1: Base 70k, bonus 25% of base, product is established, manager is the best person I have ever met in the business world and I mean a super nice person, but the company is not very stable and the product is facing many challenges. Territory is local.

Offer 2: Base 79k, bonus 30% of base, product is new but projecting to do well, manager is nice woman but a career only woman, and company is more stable. Some overnight travel, not a big deal.

I am leaning on Offer 2 because the pay is better and the company more stable. But, I know the manager is going to "nicely" micromanage, which is not a big deal, because I am a "sales rat", I mean I love to work.

How do you evaluate these situations?

Thank you!

I'm in med and I came from payroll recently as well! You will enjoy the change to say the least. Product and manager are both extremely important, go with your gut. Manager can easily make or break the job so definitely weigh that. My boss is one of the chilliest people ever, only talk when I need help, and it has made my quality of life amazing (especially coming from micro managing payroll)

I'm in med and I came from payroll recently as well! You will enjoy the change to say the least. Product and manager are both extremely important, go with your gut. Manager can easily make or break the job so definitely weigh that. My boss is one of the chilliest people ever, only talk when I need help, and it has made my quality of life amazing (especially coming from micro managing payroll)

Thanks for your response....payroll was an easy job, but the micromanagement was too painful and the pay was low vs what I am getting now....

I think you are right. In a close decision, always go with the gut. Also, going with the the first reaction or thought is usually correct.

Larger territory = more connections, accounts, etc. Better for career in my opinion.

Good point. Any suggestions on how to not piss off the one I am not going to go work for? I still would like to maintain that contact, but I know they are not going to be happy with this. It was all just dumb luck, getting 2 offers within a few days, and I had no intention of doing this.

Good point. Any suggestions on how to not piss off the one I am not going to go work for? I still would like to maintain that contact, but I know they are not going to be happy with this. It was all just dumb luck, getting 2 offers within a few days, and I had no intention of doing this.

Dude, you are in the best position possible! If you like the job with the better manager, I would be honest with him and say I would love to work for you, but I have received an offer from another company and they are offering me a much higher compensation. You may need to bend the compensation a little to get to where you want to be at, but I would they are offering me 80k + 30k commission at plan. See what he will do to match, if they want you they will at minimum meet you half way if not the whole base.

If he won't do anything, you say you need 48 hours to think about it with your family since it will be an important decision. You can either take the job as is, or what I would do is go to the other company and play the same game, tell them you received an offer for 85k base and 30k commission, see if you can negotiate a higher base salary.

I've been in med device for the last 10 years and every move I've made I had 2 companies competing for me. Know your worth, you are only shooting yourself in the foot by settling. Good luck.

Dude, you are in the best position possible! If you like the job with the better manager, I would be honest with him and say I would love to work for you, but I have received an offer from another company and they are offering me a much higher compensation. You may need to bend the compensation a little to get to where you want to be at, but I would they are offering me 80k + 30k commission at plan. See what he will do to match, if they want you they will at minimum meet you half way if not the whole base.

If he won't do anything, you say you need 48 hours to think about it with your family since it will be an important decision. You can either take the job as is, or what I would do is go to the other company and play the same game, tell them you received an offer for 85k base and 30k commission, see if you can negotiate a higher base salary.

I've been in med device for the last 10 years and every move I've made I had 2 companies competing for me. Know your worth, you are only shooting yourself in the foot by settling. Good luck.

Good advice here. Very important to know the market and your worth. A good manager is probably worth 20k a year, so keep that into account, and taking less money with a better manager is a good move.

If it pisses them off, then that speaks to their professionalism. They face this all the time and won't be surprised. However, that said, I wouldn't count on the RM remaining a solid contact, as they take it as a personal affront when turned down, as their Manager will see it as a negative mark against their record. make your decision and don't worry about them.. Would they worry about you if they RIF'd you? Nope..

Nobody will get upset. Trust me this is not the first time where a manager loses out on their final candidate. They probably have another person as plan B anyways just in case of this type of situation.

Most of what the managers tell you is all BS. Stay away you made good decision.

You are correct, sir.
One of the revelations I have had in my life was understanding that mangers really don't know much more than the reps, I terms of company direction, etc. The regionals are a little more in tune. So when you see a regional jump ship, you have to take a look at your situation, because that is not good. Most regionals are taken care of. But, the district managers are clueless, and whatever they do or say should not be taken too seriously. Just do what they tell you the best you can and be very nice to them, because they will abuse their power if you give them a reason to.