What up with the New Board?

Discussion in 'Cafepharma Playground' started by tinkrbelle, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM.

1. tinkrbelle

tinkrbelle Well-Known Member

I lost my avatar and am trying to figure out how to post on here sheesh

2. Vagitarian

Vagitarian Well-Known Member

They've corrected a few things, avatars don't seem to be one of them. Hit contact us and try sending a note.

3. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be damned, I didn't even notice my avatar was gone. Nobody's is back. Figures.....

Vagitarian likes this.
  4. Vagitarian

I've asked twice now - not one reply.

5. tinkrbelle

tinkrbelle Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies, So looks like avatars are gone for everyone and can't get new ones on?. but did you see BamaBoy has his? Im having trouble navigating this new board. So far like the old one better

Breakingnews likes this.
  6. Vagitarian

Scroll down, hit 'contact us' and try. Obviously we're on the low end of the totem pole here.

7. Fucktard

Fucktard Well-Known Member

I despise this new board. Some old ass signature is coming up, I can't copy and past my football picks using an iPad, and for some reason I cannot log in at all on my laptop. The laptop may be having an issue, but it is odd that I can log on and off fine with iPad, but nothing with laptop....and yes, I logged off of iPad first before trying laptop again. And how do some have avatars, and others do not?

8. Breakingnews

Breakingnews Well-Known Member

It wasn't broke, I am not sure why they tried to fix it.

9. Vagitarian

Typical of Big Pharma's cost cutting issues.

10. Drug Dumper

Now they can track our IP addresses.....

11. Breakingnews

Duh - Like other web site don't.

Thanks for that brilliant pearl of wisdom.

12. mbryan

mbryan Administrator
    Staff Member

We do not record IP addresses for anonymous posters/users. There has been no change in our policy regarding protecting users' anonymity.

13. Drug Dumper

OK, whatever you say. Like Facebook can't trace them either. Or Twitter. Which is why I have not recommended this on my FB page.

14. Vagitarian

Get some credibility my friend. Why do you not answer questions about our avatars, how to delete or change our signatures, etc, etc,, etc. You damn well know I've sent 3 'contact us' emails regarding these subjects. Although you may think we're a bunch of wing nuts, the fact is, our core (those remaining) can refere (or deflect) a lot of people to this site. Yet you know you are ignoring our simple questions.

tinkrbelle and Drug Dumper like this.
  15. Drug Dumper

I guess if we were to stay anonymous, then that would be the case...but one cannot be anonymous on FB or Twitter.....all those sites record IP addresses. Once someone links their FB or Twitter page to this place, even though they may seem anonymous, they won't be.

Vagitarian likes this.
  16. Vagitarian

If course they have our info. When they 1st switched to the new format they used some of the older names (even outing one of our friends) and still use the old signature lines of some that they forbid us too use. It's a clusterfuck!

tinkrbelle likes this.
  17. Breakingnews

There have been many changes and most have not been good. You can see that traffic is down here on CP since the new format. They need to fix some of the issues that Vag points out and possibly consider re-opening the Poli Board. The 'core' is shrinking and something should be done.

tinkrbelle likes this.
  18. mbryan

mbryan Administrator
    Staff Member

We are aware that there are still ongoing problems with some permissions that registered users should have (such as changing avatars, ability to edit and delete their posts, etc). These issues appear to be related to problems with user group mismatches between the previous software and the new software. We have been focused on improving and refining core functionality. While we are still working on improving core functionality, we will try to work out the problems that registered users are having.

In reference to information we have, of course we have the information registered users provide when they register. However, we do not have any identifying information (such as IP addresses, email addresses, etc) associated with anonymous posts or anonymous users. Cafepharma has a very public and conclusive record of protecting user anonymity (by not having the information). When a Congressional Committee sought user information related to posts referencing the ENHANCE trial we had no information to provide.

We liked the previous software also. We made the change for several reasons. One was to make the boards more usable for those accessing the site via mobile phones. This represents approximately 40% of our traffic now. While the previous software was not terrible on mobile phones, the new software provides a much better experience on phones.

Also, the previous software was old enough that some of the code was deprecated and generated many errors (on the back-end) running on modern servers. Additionally, the previous software is no longer supported and no security patches or improvements were being made. While we could have used modern versions of the previous software, the newer versions have a very poor reputation and appear to have a number of performance issues.

Before changing to the new software, we made a number of modifications to attempt to provide all of the functionality available in the previous versions. We are still working on this. Some functionality has proven much more difficult to replicate than it would appear.

We hope to have an answer to the problems registered users are having soon. We will update you as soon as possible.

19. cafead

cafead Administrator
    Staff Member

We believe that the issue has now been fixed. Registered posters should be able to edit and/or delete their own posts, and add or change signatures and avatars. Let us know if you still have problems.

20. Vagitarian

OK, here's some feedback. Yes, you can now edit and delete. Several also find the 'like button' to ba an easy way to respond. With that said, please give a step by step walk thru for getting an avatar. Like where do we start? And then what do we do?

Drug Dumper likes this.