Raises/Comp adjustments for INFLATION

Discussion in 'Ethicon Device' started by anonymous, Jun 28, 2022 at 7:37 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’ve been here close to 10 years and recently started talking to recruiters. They have told me that they are filling more positions this year than they ever have because inflation is forcing people to leave and attempt to find higher paying jobs. Admittedly, that exactly why I am considering leaving too. A normal 3 percent raise just won’t be enough to keep up in this crazy economy with my increasing bills.

What do you think will happen at jnj for end of year raises? They would have to increase total comp 15 percent just to keep up with inflation, we know that won’t happen. Curious if others are also looking at other jobs to try to get a bump

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You answered your own question. Nothing will happen. It's JNJ and their attitude is, "If you don't like it, there's the door." They'll find a new college grad to take your spot at 1/2 the price.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You stay at a entry level job for 10 years and now looking for a handout....

That right there sums up our whole cultural problem. You want more? Go hunt more, go kill more, go eat more....

We are a sales organization not a welfare state.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Op didn’t ask for a handout. Actually, they were saying opposite that they were going to just jump ship. Isn’t that hunting for more? Retention is going to be difficult for a lot of companies in the next 12 months because of this.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your a sales organization…..
    You sell commodity products based on contracts and price, that’s a service job. Exactly what all Ethicon Reps are. You will be contract reps by the end of the year. Good Luck

QUOTE="anonymous, post: 6697301"]You stay at a entry level job for 10 years and now looking for a handout....

That right there sums up our whole cultural problem. You want more? Go hunt more, go kill more, go eat more....

We are a sales organization not a welfare state.[/QUOTE]

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

9.1% inflation. News as of today. 40 year high.

Unless raises next year are greater than 10 percent, you are in trouble. Who knows of how then industry is going to respond but I assure you that lots of people will be jumping ship and it won’t be just Ethicon

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here is an idea...Get up and leave the house. Go sell more. That you actually think a cost of living increase is even possible suggests you are completely out of touch with any sense of business reality.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What reality do you live in. Businesses (any business) doesn't increase employee wages based on the current inflation rate.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

being one of those described years later at M2 - gotta love the pay bands. Let’s pay a pharma fuckho1e more than the ones being loyal is a bad business move. Young people get shafted here.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It will be interesting for sure to see what Ethicon does. I have talked to 2 recruiters this year that reached out to me. Been here over 15 years and usually ignore recruiters but I wanted to see what they had to say since the money they were advertising was good. Didn’t end up pursuing the jobs but in conversation they both said they have never received so many responses and inquiries like they have this year. Asked them both why and they mentioned rising prices, inflation, etc.

That was only 2 recruiters so yes it’s a small sample size but what are the odds they said the same thing. My wife also just got a raise that was double what she normally gets and that’s unheard of at her cheap company. Just google inflation and raises and you will see there is no question companies are reacting.

This year with inflation is unprecedented so how employers react will be so interesting. Check back with this thread around April next year after raises go out.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Actually sales reps in medical device overall are leaving. Industry wide exodus. Everyone is going to sell software. Top level reps leaving. Management and paying less to bad talent increasing.

it’s a lose lose situation overall. Leaving is the only option. But curious why poster above said contract sales reps. I doubt that would happen.

If it were my comapny: I’d eliminate 50% of the corporate roles with marketing/comm Ed/prof Ed. Why? They are not necessary to increasing sales numbers. They’re stepping stone roles.

Eliminate the free car benefit and make it optional to those that would prefer a company car or offer a fixed car stipend and mileage option.

Eliminate the fluff. Certain cities with managers who aren’t engaging, who aren’t actively meeting customers—gone. Take stock and inventory of the boots on the ground organization before you wreak havoc on their compensation.

Without a happy sales force—you’re nothing. Physicians still drive clinical demand vs contracts in most instances. And the reality is—to really gain market share—you need to motivate your sales teams.

Motivation is flexibility, transparency, effective communication around product launches/backorders. And compensation that aligns with the total market.

food for thought. It’s a shame this feed has to be anonymous when really great thoughts should be shared with higher ups without fear of retribution.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Big thoughts from a rep selling contract driven commodities.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sure, rep.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who used to sell non contracted items. Strategic move to this role for a long term play…

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is shocking that more people aren’t responding to this thread. I have been here for over 15 years and I have never seen it worse. Maybe it’s because people are already planning their exit or they are just way to complacent and like to be taken advantage of. It’s shameful that leadership is completely silent to the fso in outrageous times like this. Back orders are totally out of control and people are losing so much money from potential bonus. Let this sink in again, leadership has been totally silent while we get screwed so bad. Fso deserves not only a big salary increase to keep up with insane inflation but also needs a huge quota adjustment. Not some BS adjustment either. For those that are going to defend the company it really speaks volumes as to how much of a loser you are. Quotas were issued assuming availability. That changed in a big way which calls for a big adjustment. How is this even debatable. This year has been a massive failure and leadership can get away with no accountability to their people? Open you mouth and be a leader. That’s what you signed up for, not to hide.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Response.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m not sure J&J is worried about 15 year vets leaving. There is zero reason for them to pay you competitively in the market when people are holding on to their pension and retirement health benefits option.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That isn’t what the person was saying. They were pointing out quota and back orders which affects all the FSO regardless of tenure. Do you not see the lack of leadership response to adjustments a problem? Being a 15 year vet has nothing to do with it. But,it sounds like this 15 year vet may be on the way out? I promise You that some of these old timers definitely would take a lot of business with them if they wanted to.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sure but does it matter? Profit margin rules the roost here. Not total sales volume.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

J&J has little interest in quota adjustments in general due to supply chain challenges. I’m in a CSS division, the real question is will the company finally address inflation and issue an appropriate response to correcting compensation disparities.