Question from media about Wright rep-less sales models

Discussion in 'Wright Medical' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello -

I just posted this on the Ethicon boards but wanted to place it here , too.

I'm a reporter for Modern Healthcare, a healthcare business trade magazine, and am writing about the trend toward so-called rep-less sales models, especially for orthopedic implants. I've talked with hospitals and manufacturers but am also interested in hearing the perspective of reps on this kind of model.

If you're interested in chatting, even on background, let me know. Here's my contact information. Or if you have seen any threads about this topic, send me a link.

Email: jlee@modernhealthcare.com
    Desk: 212-210-0471

Thanks,
    Jaimy

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I STRONGLY encourage you to speak with a few orthopedic surgeons that are doing joint replacements and/or spine. You should also try to observe a surgery so you will see first hand responsibilities of a rep and the interactions with the surgeon and staff.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Only SOME reps. Check their houses first, and see if they're home

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe sports or plate/screw reps aren't in OR.
    I personally don't know of a single hospital that could efficiently and accurately cover a joint replacement without a rep. (key word: efficiently). There are too many variables and details involved. Increased OR time equals increased cost and greater opportunity for infection and blood clot. One case could wipe out a years worth of 'cost savings'.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Then you are not familiar with wright medical. Many times docs did surgeries themselves and these were very powerful hospitals..

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What are the 'very powerful' hospitals?
    Which one of the eight surgeons that use WMT are you talking about?
    Lastly, are you talking about a toe case or a complex hip/knee revision?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New England. Boston guru specifically

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank goodness it is now Micro Port. Maybe compliance will be better. Good reps there but no guidance or support

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

good reps?

bwa hahaha

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Loma Linda University, So. Cal. has been using the "rep less" model for over a year now using Microport Knees and DJO Hips. Major 500 joint a year doc left to do his surgeries across town because he is a Biomet consultant and would not agree to using those products, but the hospital admins. is saying their costs have been significantly reduced and no major issues have surfaced in a year. The hospital is averaging 300+joints a year after the biomet consultant left. the total hips/knees are priced at somewhere near $1700. Is this the lowest price in the country?
    Does this surprise anyone that Mike Mogul CEO of DJO and formerly Stryker Ortho div president would approve this pricing? I don't know anything about Microport other then they are owned by a Chinese company.
    If anyone thinks that Ortho Reps will be making 6 figure incomes in the future anywhere, you are crazy, the end of ortho joint reps making that kind of money is disappearing fast!

Bottom Line: majority of total joint surgeries do not need a rep if the hospital standardizes on one system

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The story about "rep-less" sales models published earlier this week. Thanks again for the insight. It sounds like there is more than one story here.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article20140816/MAGAZINE/308169980/devicemaker-sales-reps-being-replaced-in-the-or?AllowView=VDl3UXk1T3hDL0tCbnhMTEJmaUxCVGEyakV3Y0MrQlVFQklBRzMwTk0rK0lBYUJRVm4zT1VBRDVoc0xvK2o1RWJQKzhJQkkyeVVSVThHcUhBUE15aGkvWnI5LzFSdGV3R3FRSQ%3D%3D

Here's my contact info:
    Jaimy Lee
    Reporter, Modern Healthcare
    jlee@modernhealthcare.com
    212-210-0471

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really! Why is a hospital going to tell you/admit that they are having a problem? Open themselves up to some more litigation?

I live in fantasy land too. I will only get one diagnosis when confronted with a serious malady? And most of all. Trust your government.

I prefer to have my transfusion blood heated up in the microwave too. Just ask a nurse.

Gee doc, is that the correct limb/patient we are getting ready to cut on? Why do hospitals expect reps to agree and Reptrax insist that competitive reps learn and sign off on Strykers r2 units general OR info?

WHO is going to circulate for the absent circulator?
    Love to see it. I don't make much money anymore anyway.
    Who cares. This industry is dead

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the industry isn't dead...just wright medicals life in the industry

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

WAIT, YOU STALK WRIGHT REPS AT THIER HOUSES?!? CREEPY...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No I am one of them just sitting back drinking the cool aid and getting a paycheck

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Horrible article. Made the implant companies look to be the bad guys, as usual. Forgot that Loma is using cheap products. A patient should want the best implants; besides did the cost savings from the hospital get passed to the patient? Yes, I am sure it did. Further, when the doc needs help that tech making $45 is going to get him out of the jam? Just one sided journalism as usual. Sales reps are way under valued when in fact they do much more than just cover a case. I can't wait to hear when the Fedex delivery is late what the hospital tells the patient. "Mm, sorry betty we can't do your hip, and it's our fault because we are cheap". Hey reporter, you should be writing for the local news telling us what festivals are going this weekend.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Loma Linda doing 300 joints/yr with rep-less model equals roughly
    1.2 joints a day (assuming they aren't working on weekends).
    How would this model fly in an institution doing 3k,4K, 5K joints /year?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are horror stories out there regarding mistakes in "repless" facilities

Don't give hospitals so much credit..

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sure you are...If you were a true Wright rep you would be much happier and less cynical. You're too late to the foot and ankle game, it's not their fault! Haters just gonna hate....