Why Don't The CTL's Have to Work Under Constant Threat of Being Pushed Out too?

If you do not performance manage representatives, you are not "doing" your job, and will get performances managed yourself. This has been told to me straight up. Those reps in the lower or bottom PDO buckets are the ones identified to performance manage. Last September there were coaching memos given to folks who were in lower or bottom 2 out of the last 3 years. This was driven by DCO's and VPCO's.

The problem as I see it is two fold:

First, forced distribution is a terrible way to evaluate talent in a tenured salesforce. This leads to performance management whether or not you agree with it as a CTL.

I have been told to work on people who have been "around a while" and have lower PDO's, despite they have had past pyramid awards, etc. Is this another way to say older, more expensive employees.

I am sorry, but this is an ugly part of the J-O-B!

There are very high paid LERs who were bottom of the bucket 2 years in a row and are still safe and comfy. No one utters a word about this.

Then there are much lower paid, lesser titled, lesser tenured coworkers who had just one year off (due to managed care loss or a few accounts off) and boom, they are now on the UI line. Looks like a few managers need their eyes checked they missed some information on the FDR.

No one I know would say this is fair.

I've personally watched four of my Merck friends do exactly that. Xanax, the brink of insanity, then a sheepish resignation to escape the living hell.

As for me, I believe I'll tell my CTL to go f--k himself and maybe even smack him in the head for good measure. At the very least, his tires all get slashed and I Round Up his entire lawn.

ahhh…Be Well…the corporate slogan of Merck, a company that intentionally inflicts psychological harm, (Pre-meditated and well thought out) to make people quit their
lovely company…

and this is a healthcare company…

shame on Merck…no, actually FU MERCK!

There are very high paid LERs who were bottom of the bucket 2 years in a row and are still safe and comfy. No one utters a word about this.

Then there are much lower paid, lesser titled, lesser tenured coworkers who had just one year off (due to managed care loss or a few accounts off) and boom, they are now on the UI line. Looks like a few managers need their eyes checked they missed some information on the FDR.

No one I know would say this is fair.

How do you know the LER's were on the bottom? I am talking PDO, not some Scorecard report. For an LER they have a MBO component and are differentiated at a COG level. This makes a big difference. PDO's are only visible to executive teams and above.

How do you know the LER's were on the bottom? I am talking PDO, not some Scorecard report. For an LER they have a MBO component and are differentiated at a COG level. This makes a big difference. PDO's are only visible to executive teams and above.

Of course!

Allowing for some subjective morsels and flavors to sweeten some very sour sales!

Hmmmmmm?
The word protected might apply.
How can everybody get in that club?