Oh Mother Merck…How I long to be back in your safe, cozy & warm womb…

Anonymous

50s…pushed out of Merck by young DM…atrophying savings at alarming rate to stay afloat…

bouncing around the bottom feeder type sales jobs…solar, home depot commission only, etc…

Here to tell you that pharmaceutical sales is completely detached from reality..can't believe that paid me 100k plus all those years to call in lunch deliveries to doctor's offices…

man, I wish I still had it so easy…don't miss all the fake, made-up crap though…

those CTLs really make the whole thing a bit of a nightmare eh?

<

Know exactly what you mean....in the end it isn't about winning or losing but how we play ed the game. And what a game it was:) Digital world made it much more difficult to play and not nearly as much fun. Game over friends.

50s…pushed out of Merck by young DM…atrophying savings at alarming rate to stay afloat…

bouncing around the bottom feeder type sales jobs…solar, home depot commission only, etc…

Here to tell you that pharmaceutical sales is completely detached from reality..can't believe that paid me 100k plus all those years to call in lunch deliveries to doctor's offices…

man, I wish I still had it so easy…don't miss all the fake, made-up crap though…

For those of us still employed. Do not take this job for granted. Adding up the value of our entire compensation package we are bringing home at least as much as the average primary care physician. Plus, we are ahead of the game due to better retirement programs and lower cost of academic requirements. Appreciate it while you can. It's a great gig.

The future for company employees is not good. I don't know of anyone who left Merck who is doing well.

I know of a few who are struggling and also many who actually stayed in pharma and are doing just fine. Some chose to leave on their own, some got a nice severance package and actually landed a better pharma job, usually a specialty position. Point being, there can be life, a very good life after merck.

I know of a few who are struggling and also many who actually stayed in pharma and are doing just fine. Some chose to leave on their own, some got a nice severance package and actually landed a better pharma job, usually a specialty position. Point being, there can be life, a very good life after merck.

Any life after being in this shithole is relatively good.

Any life after being in this shithole is relatively good.

You are relatively a moron. Some ( not many) land better jobs. Many landed jobs that are the same. Some didn't land on their feet at all. For some ( like you) this was the epitome of their earning power and they will never again get close to what they were getting in salary or perks that they were here. It's not a hard job. But wait until you go on unemployment, dip into retirment, move out of your house, down grade your car. Go on countless interviews for endless days. If you're lucky enough to land an interview. Go to the bottom, like many of us have, then look up and call Merck a " shithole". That'll change your " entitled" perspective.

You are relatively a moron. Some ( not many) land better jobs. Many landed jobs that are the same. Some didn't land on their feet at all. For some ( like you) this was the epitome of their earning power and they will never again get close to what they were getting in salary or perks that they were here. It's not a hard job. But wait until you go on unemployment, dip into retirment, move out of your house, down grade your car. Go on countless interviews for endless days. If you're lucky enough to land an interview. Go to the bottom, like many of us have, then look up and call Merck a " shithole". That'll change your " entitled" perspective.

I'm not a braggart, but since this is anonymous, I'll brag a bit. I almost tripled my Merck income in my second year. For you of limited intellect, that means I make almost three times as much as I did at Merck. Believe it or not, Shit-for-Brains.

Unemployment? That's funny. House has been paid off since my third month after leaving Merck. It's the first thing I did. I've purchased two new cars since leaving Merck. I paid cash for both. I've more than doubled my savings, too. Had a couple of European vacations as well. Interview? Are you kidding? I interview others now and I've hired over 40 salespeople; not a one of them a former Big Pharma rep. You guys suck, frankly.

In other words, it isn't possible for you to be more wrong about everything. Now, go back to your ridiculous fraud of a life. You can't fool me; I know what a fraud you are. I faked it through a few years in Big Pharma, too. I'm embarrassed of it and embarrassed to have been associated with people like you.

Memo to those employees still encased in the warm cozy womb: Your tranquil incubation is about to be interrupted by a sloppy C-section performed with a rusty serrated hack saw

Do you think, just maybe, you were pushed out because as you stated, you thought the job was to call in lunch orders? I retired after a long career at Merck and felt privileged to represent the company. Never had an issue with any manager, won lots of trips, VP club 4 times, and my house is full of stuff from the NMIP program. Why? Because I SOLD. The job is what you make it. Not surprised you, and others like you, were let go. I hope you change you ways with your next job. All up to you!

I'm not a braggart, but since this is anonymous, I'll brag a bit. I almost tripled my Merck income in my second year. For you of limited intellect, that means I make almost three times as much as I did at Merck. Believe it or not, Shit-for-Brains.

Unemployment? That's funny. House has been paid off since my third month after leaving Merck. It's the first thing I did. I've purchased two new cars since leaving Merck. I paid cash for both. I've more than doubled my savings, too. Had a couple of European vacations as well. Interview? Are you kidding? I interview others now and I've hired over 40 salespeople; not a one of them a former Big Pharma rep. You guys suck, frankly.

In other words, it isn't possible for you to be more wrong about everything. Now, go back to your ridiculous fraud of a life. You can't fool me; I know what a fraud you are. I faked it through a few years in Big Pharma, too. I'm embarrassed of it and embarrassed to have been associated with people like you.

I must have missed the post were someone ask you to come on here and write an autobiography about yourself toss out some insults and behave like a adolescent idiot. I guess you thought it was about you. It wasn't. No one cares about your fake vacations and other fictions. Shut up. Go way.
PS: you are a blowhard braggart. You're too stupid to know it.

Do you think, just maybe, you were pushed out because as you stated, you thought the job was to call in lunch orders? I retired after a long career at Merck and felt privileged to represent the company. Never had an issue with any manager, won lots of trips, VP club 4 times, and my house is full of stuff from the NMIP program. Why? Because I SOLD. The job is what you make it. Not surprised you, and others like you, were let go. I hope you change you ways with your next job. All up to you!

We know that there isn't enough ambition with these sloths to fill a thimble. I made a tremendous living while representing Merck and retired with a large and enpanding portfolio. No money worries when one works!

I felt compelled to address the "star retiree" who is so self-impressed with himself. Things are very different in the past few years. The majority of larger pharma companies do not have anyone over 55 working as sales reps (or very, very few for that matter). They do not value nor want them nor do they wish to pay them the excessive salaries they have worked/earned. If you get stuck in a territory with no access (as many practices are now being purchased from hospitals), have unfavorable managed care status (and that could be with a disproportionate amount of Medicare), incorrect physician base as these targets are in hospitals with no access, etc. you can really get screwed no matter how hard you work and no matter how many programs you do/did. It is happening every day; young managers who do not nor want to understand the particulars of a territory are also to blame. So be thankful you earned and were recognized for what you did in the past as the challenges and obstacles are quite different today and you could not possibly understand because it was much easier in the past. Written by someone with over 30 years in the industry.

Spot on. 30 years here as well. Getting out just in time. There will always be pharma/med/device reps in one form or another, just not as many, not as well paid. The day of one company-retires are long gone. I thought I would retire with Merck when the downsizings started. I've scrambled around and done contract for the last 8 years and will manage to retire comfortably next year. I would not recommend pharma sales to anyone anymore other than as a transient job. If you are in your 30's or 40's you should have already gotten out. If you are trying to hang on be ready for continuing uncertainty, layoffs, temp jobs, moves, unemployment. Fair warning. It's not a career anymore. The real challenge is trying to get out if pharma is all that's on your resume. It's not worth much outside. Or inside for that matter. There are thousands of displaced reps. The talent is in contract. My contract districts are all star teams that regularly smoke the outclassed left over Metck rep. There is some satisfaction in that. Overall it's been good to me but it's more of a temp job now and I am glad to be getting out.

I'm hearing increasing amounts of people are leaving Merck and leaving pharma. Picking up and turning their back on this shriveling up company. Not looking back at anything in pharma. Turned off to the decline of culture, the backbiting, mistreatment and harm inflicted on dedicated people and their careers.