• Thurs news: AbbVie Parkinson’s drug. Arch raises $3B biotech fund. Biogen dropping failed Sage tremor drug. AZ gets sought-after Tagrisso OK. Pfizer withdrawing sickle cell med. See more on our front page

Offer negotiation/Sign on Bonus for Sales Roles

anonymous

Honest replies appreciated. I’m assuming you can negotiate upon offer? Recruiter informed me of base range in first phone screen. Am I able to negotiate for a higher base based on prior base salary and experience? Also, will Astrazeneca negotiate a potential sign on bonus?

<

Negotiation is very limited, AZ doesn’t give the hiring managers any autonomy. They plug your experience into their calculator and it spits out a number. I was able to ~5k more but HR had to make the “exception”, even though there are others in the position making 20k+ more. I am easily the lowest paid on the team.

Sign on bonus can be given, but you have to provide evidence of money you are leaving in the table at prior company (usually stock)

Appreciate the response. Very interesting they essentially use an algorithm where they plug in your past experiences and such to pump out a base range, not sure I’ve ever seen that. So the only way they might negotiate sign on bonus is if I’m leaving options or RSUs on the table at my former company? What if someone was coming from a much more lucrative speciality with significant experience? Lastly is it possible to negotiate PTO? Much appreciated

PTO can be negotiated if you have already booked/paid for upcoming vacation that would be “after start date”. Don’t try for July 4th week the Brits don’t consider that a holiday.
On the bonus front, my DM pulled for 5k bump in the base if I gave her the sign on bonus. Hey I got stuck with the taxes but my DM knows I am a money maker.

Appreciate the response. Very interesting they essentially use an algorithm where they plug in your past experiences and such to pump out a base range, not sure I’ve ever seen that. So the only way they might negotiate sign on bonus is if I’m leaving options or RSUs on the table at my former company? What if someone was coming from a much more lucrative speciality with significant experience? Lastly is it possible to negotiate PTO? Much appreciated

correct, they don’t care what your prior base is. It is very common for reps to be lowballed even when coming here for the same specialty they’re in. Typically it’s reps who are desperate or are looking for stability where they can just go through the motions. You can’t negotiate for more PTO either, AZ is well below the benchmark there as well.

AZ don’t pay the best, never have done and the Talent Aquisition Team (TAT) will lowball and unlikely to budge.

beware of asking for a 6 month salary review … they forget.

AZ is a great company, but others pay better

You can negotiate, but very little wiggle room with salary. Depending on the role likely 2-8k max, sometimes no room at all. It’s possible to negotiate vacation and what level you come in at. If offered a Sr. Rep role you may be able to negotiate to come in executive rep, but that’s only if your prior experience warrants it or if they absolutely love you.