Need advice please

anonymous

Honest answers please. First I apologize for posting in this board but want to get advice from fellow industry colleagues. I was at Abbvie 4 years ago and was on A PIP. I left before they could fire me and quit on my own. Fast forward to now and a new manager just offered me a role on his team. It is a hefty salary increase.

When I was at Abbvie I was a DM. I just have been offered after a 4 year absence a Associate Director of Marketing role in HQ.

question… will the PIP that is on my HR file come up on my background check? Yes I mentioned I used to work here. If it comes up will they rescind the offer or it doesn’t matter? Again I left on my own and wasn’t terminated but I was on a PIP in a different division and on the field. Thanks so much.

<

Companies only give out name and verify dates of employment and that is all. If your former manager were to discuss anything more than that with your new employer manager, they would be breaching their company’s policy on employee referrals.

Honest answers please. First I apologize for posting in this board but want to get advice from fellow industry colleagues. I was at Abbvie 4 years ago and was on A PIP. I left before they could fire me and quit on my own. Fast forward to now and a new manager just offered me a role on his team. It is a hefty salary increase.

When I was at Abbvie I was a DM. I just have been offered after a 4 year absence a Associate Director of Marketing role in HQ.

question… will the PIP that is on my HR file come up on my background check? Yes I mentioned I used to work here. If it comes up will they rescind the offer or it doesn’t matter? Again I left on my own and wasn’t terminated but I was on a PIP in a different division and on the field. Thanks so much.
Since you were on a PIP that means your are a real loser! Who would want to hire a lazy and dishonest oaf! Did you steal money and harass the females in your district!?!

OP here. Can someone please advise for real? My concern is that the offer would be taken away once PIP Is discovered. Again different division. And I was in field now going for HQ role. Appreciate your advice

A company like Abbvie would never put themselves at legal risk like that. There was a time when HR backgrounders could ask “is this person rehireable” but if you weren’t let go then technically you still would be. But I can’t imagine AZ still asks that. They most likely just verify dates of employment. I can’t imagine they still ask that when they don’t even require new hire drug tests anymore. And even if they did, Abbvie wouldn’t open themselves up to a lawsuit risk, they would just say “we’re legally unable to disclose that.”

The original responder is correct when they say Abbvie will only confirm dates of employment. If it is not Abbvie you are applying to, you are golden. If it is, I would not be worried to much about a PIP. Lots of people are put on PIP's and then get off of them to remain with the company. It does not mean you are not rehireable. Formally, I think you are fine. The only problem I can see for you, and it is probably a small one, is someone remembering you and the fact you were on a PIP and putting a bug in the ear of someone involved with hiring. That would be an informal and undocumented conversation between the two. Personally, I would go for it. All they can say is no. You might surprise yourself and get the job!

The original responder is correct when they say Abbvie will only confirm dates of employment. If it is not Abbvie you are applying to, you are golden. If it is, I would not be worried to much about a PIP. Lots of people are put on PIP's and then get off of them to remain with the company. It does not mean you are not rehireable. Formally, I think you are fine. The only problem I can see for you, and it is probably a small one, is someone remembering you and the fact you were on a PIP and putting a bug in the ear of someone involved with hiring. That would be an informal and undocumented conversation between the two. Personally, I would go for it. All they can say is no. You might surprise yourself and get the job!

OP here. Can someone please advise for real? My concern is that the offer would be taken away once PIP Is discovered. Again different division. And I was in field now going for HQ role. Appreciate your advice

I know a friend that was put on a PIP when they were an inexperienced rep. They worked through worked through it. Fast forward, Th rep has had several promotions and CL advances.
Your past won’t dictate who you become. I wouldn’t be concerned.

Since you were on a PIP that means your are a real loser! Who would want to hire a lazy and dishonest oaf! Did you steal money and harass the females in your district!?!
Very rare that a DSM is placed on PIP!! The manager must have done something really bad. Could be that he padded his expense account to buy Olive Garden dinners for his family. The hiring manager should thoroughly investigate this loser.

Very rare that a DSM is placed on PIP!! The manager must have done something really bad. Could be that he padded his expense account to buy Olive Garden dinners for his family. The hiring manager should thoroughly investigate this loser.
PIP is most often related directly to sales #s. Doubtful it was shady behavior or fraud, as you have assumed. They would just have fired them with cause.

If you were on a pip and left on your own, you will be fine. You weren't fired by the company. Also, just because things didn't go well as a DM doesn't mean that you won't succeed at a home office position. I think you will be fine. Good luck with your new opportunity.

PIP is most often related directly to sales #s. Doubtful it was shady behavior or fraud, as you have assumed. They would just have fired them with cause.

I had a manager on a pip a few years back he was put on it because he was harassing his entire district during field visits but he was first in nation for sales. They eventually laid him off next reorg.

I am assuming this is a made up question. Too many identifiers. Let's see. Four years ago you were a DM at Abbvie. You were on a PIP and now you are applying for Associate Director of Marketing at Abbvie? So you want to publish this on the internet so the interviewer can see it? Is it possible that you are competing for that job against someone who fits the above description but was really never on a PIP? Or maybe this is your story but it just is not Abbvie that you are applying with.