Near retirement/over 50 MUST READ!!!

if youre in 60's and look like poo then consider a face lift, lose weight, get fresh clothes, take a shower. Waa Waa Waa

No need to get a facelift. I just got back from the gym. People in their 60's who exercise regularly are well preserved. These are not the gym rat fanatical types, just regular exercisers.

My wife and I both got facelifts when we turned 52. Hers was a complete, mine was a facial. It wasn't noticeable except everyone said wow you look great. My wife and I disappeared to a spa for a month lol so astute minds would have known.

I would highly recommend looking for a great surgeon through word of mouth and seeing their results. Only downside for me was I had to get laser treatment behind my ears as I had some hair growth from the beard being placed there.

It's a new world out there and you have to compete in sales with the younger and often prettier crowd

My wife and I both got facelifts when we turned 52. Hers was a complete, mine was a facial. It wasn't noticeable except everyone said wow you look great. My wife and I disappeared to a spa for a month lol so astute minds would have known.

I would highly recommend looking for a great surgeon through word of mouth and seeing their results. Only downside for me was I had to get laser treatment behind my ears as I had some hair growth from the beard being placed there.

It's a new world out there and you have to compete in sales with the younger and often prettier crowd

OK, so how many of your 54 year old peers can say they: went to a spa for 4 weeks, got a major plastic surgery procedure, and came back and landed that $150,000 a year sales job they were shooting for? It aint just the looks that push pharma employers away from hiring reps and managers with 25+ yrs of experience. Its our SALARY and our UNWILLINGNESS TO ACCEPT THE NEW WORLD ORDER. We remember when reps could actually sell by using clinicals and articles pulled from the library. We remember when our reps could practically live in hospitals, working ERs, trauma units, ORs, cath labs, ICU, CCUs, teaching fellows and residents. And I mean WORKING them, not dropping off donuts and pastries.
Why pay "big money" for someone with 30 years of experience when you can get a 30 year old that can do a job for almost half? Besides, any primate can be a manager these days, because there is only so much reps are allowed to do, and so few offices/hospitals that allow reps in! If I spend another six months of sitting in some busy doc's office for 30 minutes, just so my direct report can get a signature, I'm gonna puke on my Allen Edmonds!

OK, so how many of your 54 year old peers can say they: went to a spa for 4 weeks, got a major plastic surgery procedure, and came back and landed that $150,000 a year sales job they were shooting for? It aint just the looks that push pharma employers away from hiring reps and managers with 25+ yrs of experience. Its our SALARY and our UNWILLINGNESS TO ACCEPT THE NEW WORLD ORDER. We remember when reps could actually sell by using clinicals and articles pulled from the library. We remember when our reps could practically live in hospitals, working ERs, trauma units, ORs, cath labs, ICU, CCUs, teaching fellows and residents. And I mean WORKING them, not dropping off donuts and pastries.
Why pay "big money" for someone with 30 years of experience when you can get a 30 year old that can do a job for almost half? Besides, any primate can be a manager these days, because there is only so much reps are allowed to do, and so few offices/hospitals that allow reps in! If I spend another six months of sitting in some busy doc's office for 30 minutes, just so my direct report can get a signature, I'm gonna puke on my Allen Edmonds!

I agree with you. Facelift is a temporary thing. The guy can still drop dead from a heart attack with a brand new face lift if he does not exercise regularly. :)

We used to do exactly what you have described. We lived in the hospital dining room as our base and we go explore/work any department which can use our products. We networked with the docs and residents and we found out who were the real movers and shakers. At one time a resident friend even got me an employee ID for free parking. Hospital staff thought I worked there which was a compliment for a sales rep.

Then we were told to back off because missionary (hospital) work did not bring in immediate revenue.

P.S. If a rep is unwilling to be computer literate, a facelift is not going to help. Some of my former colleagues decided to retire early because they refused to learn to use a laptop.

Agreed. Besides age, salary is the other major stumbling block towards getting hired when you're over 55 years of age. While most prospective employers won't ask your former salary during an initial interview, they do tend to suspect it was fairly hefty. They know they can get a younger person for far less money, and they don't want to get into the awkward position (for them) of offering you less money than the amount you formerly made. Their thinking is that you probably wouldn't accept their job offer even if they did offer you the job.

Also, employers suspect that older people might retire a few years after they're hired. If they're looking for what they **hope** will be even a medium term employee, they'll likely pass on you. IMHO, that type of thinking is very flawed. Statistics show younger people hold jobs for shorter periods of time than mature people.

All of the above said, I DO NOT buy into the the conventional wisdom that older more experienced workers are "more stable" and deliver a higher quality work-product . If a guy was a kook at his old job for a lot years, he'll behave the same way at his new job!

All of the above said, I DO NOT buy into the the conventional wisdom that older more experienced workers are "more stable" and deliver a higher quality work-product . If a guy was a kook at his old job for a lot years, he'll behave the same way at his new job!

Very true. On the other hand, a guy who has a decent savings and no debt look at work differently. He may work hard for the joy of it. My former manager used to be frustrated at me because I am financially secure. His tactics in threatening job loss with the younger reps did not bother me a bit. I knew I could retire anytime and I did.

Very true. On the other hand, a guy who has a decent savings and no debt look at work differently. He may work hard for the joy of it. My former manager used to be frustrated at me because I am financially secure. His tactics in threatening job loss with the younger reps did not bother me a bit. I knew I could retire anytime and I did.

Some managers I knew were very jealous/envious of the fact that a direct report of theirs had more income/better quality of life than they did. Managers tend to assume everybody that works for them doesn't live as good or better than they do. I'm sure some of those direct report's job performance ratings might have suffered because of that jealousy/envy.

Here's why:

A very fortunate set of circumstances enabled me to buy a very nice house in an upscale neighborhood that an income such as mine typically wouldn't support. I knew most of my neighbors had much better incomes than I did. One of my neighbors knowing what I did for a living (he was a mid-level manager at the same company I worked for) came out right and stated to me "You cant afford that house. Not on your income." I don't know how I kept from sucker punching that a-hole. I managed to keep my composure even though I was smoking hot. I replied "You're right. Just lucky I guess."

Then one day I was outside cutting the grass, and a car slowly approached and stopped. A woman I didn't recognize lowered the passenger window and motioned to me. So I walked over to it. Sitting in the driver seat was a man I knew vaguely from work because he was an executive. I knew who he was, but I didn't think he knew who I was. The stunned look on his face told me differently. He then asked me; "Is that YOUR house?" He said was in the neighborhood looking for an open house. I politely told him where it was, and he and the woman drove off. What I wouldn't have given to have been a fly inside that car and got to hear what else might have been said.

But I did learn a valuable lesson from those two incidents. I never told anybody (especially my management) where I lived. I never put pictures of my house on my desk at work. I don't know if doing those things really helped my cause or not, because I'm sure where I lived had been a topic of discussion amongst management ranks at my company anyway.

Some managers I knew were very jealous/envious of the fact that a direct report of theirs had more income/better quality of life than they did. Managers tend to assume everybody that works for them doesn't live as good or better than they do. I'm sure some of those direct report's job performance ratings might have suffered because of that jealousy/envy.

Here's why:

A very fortunate set of circumstances enabled me to buy a very nice house in an upscale neighborhood that an income such as mine typically wouldn't support. I knew most of my neighbors had much better incomes than I did. One of my neighbors knowing what I did for a living (he was a mid-level manager at the same company I worked for) came out right and stated to me "You cant afford that house. Not on your income." I don't know how I kept from sucker punching that a-hole. I managed to keep my composure even though I was smoking hot. I replied "You're right. Just lucky I guess."

Then one day I was outside cutting the grass, and a car slowly approached and stopped. A woman I didn't recognize lowered the passenger window and motioned to me. So I walked over to it. Sitting in the driver seat was a man I knew vaguely from work because he was an executive. I knew who he was, but I didn't think he knew who I was. The stunned look on his face told me differently. He then asked me; "Is that YOUR house?" He said was in the neighborhood looking for an open house. I politely told him where it was, and he and the woman drove off. What I wouldn't have given to have been a fly inside that car and got to hear what else might have been said.

But I did learn a valuable lesson from those two incidents. I never told anybody (especially my management) where I lived. I never put pictures of my house on my desk at work. I don't know if doing those things really helped my cause or not, because I'm sure where I lived had been a topic of discussion amongst management ranks at my company anyway.

You have to understand many career merckies think everyone is dependent on merck. And that a ctl for example is always better off than his team. This is an ignorant assumption!

We had many people in my division who were super well off, either due to family money, their own previous endeavors, a spouse with a huge business, etc etc. Even myself I was always afraid to have anyone from work come to my home due to potential issues. My home cost 2.8 million in 2004 and was the gift of a generous family member when I got married. And it came with a blind trust to pay for any taxes, repairs etc.

You dont know what others do or have- and its none of your business.

You dont know what others do or have- and its none of your business.

You're right. I think more than anything else, some managers need to leave their ego at work.

You may be a big shot a work, where everyone bends over backwards to attend to your slightest whim. But outside of work, your rights and privledge's are exactly the same as everyone else's.

Same nonsense is all around...Here's one that is common...employee with low to moderate income lives in a middle class area in a run down little house of now, low value. They struggle with massive mortgage, heavy home taxes and the cost to just keep the house.....but they happen to mention they live in "a house." Immediately the other employee or manager in their company jumps to a conclusion that the said person lives in a tip top mansion-style neighborhood...and they must have more than them!

Meanwhile the reality is the total opposite...its the others who enjoy a sweet life with double or triple the income...fat pensions and savings beyond imagination...aka a crème de la crème quality of life.....

A lot of jealousy, back-biting and envy is alive here...its very sickening in a very real way....

You're right. I think more than anything else, some managers need to leave their ego at work.

You may be a big shot a work, where everyone bends over backwards to attend to your slightest whim. But outside of work, your rights and privledge's are exactly the same as everyone else's.

My manager kept asking me to show more respect because he is a manager. Besides the usual stuff, I really don't know what else am I supposed to do to show respect? He wants a shrine? I work my job. He can come and coach. At meetings he has the power seat and he runs the show. What does he want? A hug? A kowtow?

My manager kept asking me to show more respect because he is a manager. Besides the usual stuff, I really don't know what else am I supposed to do to show respect? He wants a shrine? I work my job. He can come and coach. At meetings he has the power seat and he runs the show. What does he want? A hug? A kowtow?

We all need to be respectful to each other...

And that applies to managers being respectful of their reps too...a lot of managers blow off their reps, show favoritism, make excuses for certain others....and you become a third class citizen in the mix...

.....all that is not respectful either.

We all need to be respectful to each other...

And that applies to managers being respectful of their reps too...a lot of managers blow off their reps, show favoritism, make excuses for certain others....and you become a third class citizen in the mix...

.....all that is not respectful either.

Sounds like the hospital division under L monk and b Johnson - they couldn't survive without playing favorites! Just look at the recent winners announced - if you're not an s3/lead exec, you can forget it!

Actually it is a good test of a manager in motivating a rep who is financially set. The usual threat of PIP, job loss and whatever else are meaningless. Now what other tools do you have?

Actually it is a good test of a manager in motivating a rep who is financially set. The usual threat of PIP, job loss and whatever else are meaningless. Now what other tools do you have?

Exactly. I have always worked because I wanted to, not because I had to. Different things motivate different people. I finally made the decision to leave because of everything this job has turned into. This is not a career any longer. The people who seem to be the happiest are the ones who leave on their own terms, not Mercks. They get a plan in place (learn new skills, education, updated resume and contacts, save to start a new business, etc) and leave. If they have the balls to do it, more than likely they will be successful. Remember that Merck used to hire the best of the best-which probably included you at some time. You are not stupid, even if Merck wants you to think you are. Stupid is staying with your head in the sand and hoping it will all work out without a plan in place. Good luck with that. The economy is improving. I left because I had started my own business and it was time. But I also had contacts reach out about other positions outside of pharma. There are other really good jobs out there. Good luck to everyone. We all deserve better than we have been getting.

Exactly. I have always worked because I wanted to, not because I had to. Different things motivate different people. I finally made the decision to leave because of everything this job has turned into. This is not a career any longer. The people who seem to be the happiest are the ones who leave on their own terms, not Mercks. They get a plan in place (learn new skills, education, updated resume and contacts, save to start a new business, etc) and leave. If they have the balls to do it, more than likely they will be successful. Remember that Merck used to hire the best of the best-which probably included you at some time. You are not stupid, even if Merck wants you to think you are. Stupid is staying with your head in the sand and hoping it will all work out without a plan in place. Good luck with that. The economy is improving. I left because I had started my own business and it was time. But I also had contacts reach out about other positions outside of pharma. There are other really good jobs out there. Good luck to everyone. We all deserve better than we have been getting.

Good post. God, how management wants us to believe that we are not good enough. This company trains upper management to keep us down, to find issues and problems with our performance, to reward the few who kiss ass (and then to reward them over and over again to the exclusion of the many who are not verbal but are quiet and scientific-minded). The place absolutely makes me sick.