I guess it really was too good to be true.

I will offer my 2 cents. The last few years I have been finishing my law degree at night, on my own time and dime, nothing to do with merck.

When I get done I already have a possible job, granted I will make less than I made at Merck but its a big opportunity for me.

I think some people hang on to merck for dear life, not realizing you have to make your own path in life. The good ole days of pharma are over, the writing has been on the wall. Your choice if you choose to read it or not. Good luck and health to all of you.

I will stick by my statement. Having been a practitioner, non-PA or NP I will say a
very good percentage of trained and well educated healthcare people (yes, masters or higher) leave practice in the allied areas. Look around Merck. You will see a sprinkling of ex-healthcare practice professional....nurses, PTs and the like.

For many people who do not have an PA, NP or MD/DO entering allied areas needs to done
with extreme caution....Many will find it can be a decent second income but it is absolutely not a livable primary income ...especially in the high cost areas of this country...

Practitioners I personally know who have entered business professions after walking away from patient work include PTs, dietitians, social workers, psychologists, psychotherapist,
athletic trainer, a vet and several specialized therapists...most were licensed professionals in their areas of specialty and all were pretty disgusted at the pay, insurance plan difficulties and endless push back on reimbursements or decent CPT coverage. Top it off with unreliable patients or clients and you can have days when you make next to nothing... Unlike "medical treatment degrees" the demand is just not there....If you work in the medical center or group (very difficult to come by) one or two people may be hired for a center treating 10000 or more patients.....If you don't work in a medical center and depend on private practice its even more difficult. Its a game of needing constant referrals, then handling the many often hugh overhead expenses, insurance issues then trying to draw a salary and benefits....not easy. Think it out and explore options first...I believe a medical related degree or pharmacy is the best route for those with healthcare interest.

"Never judge someone until you have walked in his moccasins"...I wore the moccasins!

Well said and accurate!!

Not true! Fraiser is to far removed from the field to have a clue what's going on. The F-ing Mormons run everything. They promote their lazy, dim-witted, in bread, freak cult members who do absolutely nothing! Their sales numbers are at the bottom year after year but they get the promotions and the VP awards. If this company is going to survive THE MORMONS MUST GO!!!

If I can put in my two cents, I reinvented myself when needing to help my son with therapy. If you don't mind numbers, becoming a tax accountant is a great side business. If you take the IRS' enrolled agent exam, then you can really rake in some bucks because you can represent clients in audits. Believe it or not, either online or taking the H&R Block courses were both great.

I put my resume out on LinkedIn to get some extra tax work, and I have had insurance company recruiters calling me (about 6-7). Since my son still needs care, I turned them down but was flattered. However, that may be something to think about too.

When Merck was on top, just a few short decades ago, management would often highlight the mistakes and downfall of other companies pointing out how bad decisions, lack of innovation, mismanagement, and disengaged employees had taken these corporations down a path of failure. Back then, Merck had the right to gloat, blockbuster drugs were flowing through the pipeline faster than marketing could create colorful detail pieces, profits were growing exponentially and all was good. But then again, all good things must come to an end. Today Merck finds itself devoid of talent, innovation, and a coherent strategy. Employee moral is at an all time low, lawyers have replaced scientists, and the only thing left that Merck has in abundance is a collection of sycophantic dim-witted empty suits pretending to actually know what there're doing. Memo to Merck, the curtain has been pulled back and we all see you picking your nose and scratching your ass while you try to fool us with one more parlor trick and tell us Kansas is just around the corner!

When Merck was on top, just a few short decades ago, management would often highlight the mistakes and downfall of other companies pointing out how bad decisions, lack of innovation, mismanagement, and disengaged employees had taken these corporations down a path of failure. Back then, Merck had the right to gloat, blockbuster drugs were flowing through the pipeline faster than marketing could create colorful detail pieces, profits were growing exponentially and all was good. But then again, all good things must come to an end. Today Merck finds itself devoid of talent, innovation, and a coherent strategy. Employee moral is at an all time low, lawyers have replaced scientists, and the only thing left that Merck has in abundance is a collection of sycophantic dim-witted empty suits pretending to actually know what there're doing. Memo to Merck, the curtain has been pulled back and we all see you picking your nose and scratching your ass while you try to fool us with one more parlor trick and tell us Kansas is just around the corner!

Spot on...the empty suits are nitwits and Merck is as dry as the Sahara...

FU MERCK!

Not true! Fraiser is to far removed from the field to have a clue what's going on. The F-ing Mormons run everything. They promote their lazy, dim-witted, in bread, freak cult members who do absolutely nothing! Their sales numbers are at the bottom year after year but they get the promotions and the VP awards. If this company is going to survive THE MORMONS MUST GO!!!

Wow, are you ever shallow. The 'mormons' (as you refer to them) that work here are among the most impressive individuals I know - whether at Merck or in my personal life. I don't have any idea to whom you might be referring. Seems to me you have a personal vendetta and are lashing out uncontrollably.

Wow, are you ever shallow. The 'mormons' (as you refer to them) that work here are among the most impressive individuals I know - whether at Merck or in my personal life. I don't have any idea to whom you might be referring. Seems to me you have a personal vendetta and are lashing out uncontrollably.

So true....the poster should get to know those Mormon folks...Impressive are they!

They are known to do plenty of missionary work! Quite a few employees I've met here need to become like these folks. Time to give up self serving ways and lack of good will toward others.

Hey, these folks have solid work values and family values...much to be said for the mormons!

So true....the poster should get to know those Mormon folks...Impressive are they!

They are known to do plenty of missionary work! Quite a few employees I've met here need to become like these folks. Time to give up self serving ways and lack of good will toward others.

Hey, these folks have solid work values and family values...much to be said for the mormons!

You're a bigger moron than them