Ex-Merck posts

So true. The "younger" Merck reps operate very differently. May be it is a generational thing. You sense they are looking out for themselves at all cost. You notice they are much better in highlighting themselves than the older reps. More creative. More opportunistic. But, it's 3 pm EST and I am getting ready to do some fun stuff. No more nightmares about field visits with Little Napoleons (male managers) or Ugly Bettys (female managers than act and look like guys).

But, as a 20 year Merck "veteran", I have to say that the "younger" reps are the smart ones! Why, because they know Merck is NOT looking out for them, so they look out for THEMSELVES. If only I'd learned that lesson long ago...

I am soon to be ex-Merck, coming out of S-P. For those of us who lived through the Hassan years, we really looked forward to being part of the new Merck..... all that enthusiasm is now lost after being part of the GS organization.....such over staffing and siloed thinking is very frustrating, and maybe if you grew up in that culture, it makes sense, but to those of us walking in, it was unthinkable.... when we protest, we are told we need to understand the Merck culture.. glad to say I no longer need to or want to... but we are lucky, we at least get the change in control package if we can get out before November .... my Merck friends who remain do not have the same good fortune.... hopefully Ken will recognize what needs to be done in the GS organization ... luck to those who remain.....

As a Merck retiree I learned a few years ago how different the Barbies and Kens were from the old timers. One fellow, a Ken, loved to party. Sometimes he would call at 8 am and asked me to take over his RFM and to order food. If I hesitated, he would get upset. He did it over and over that it became a nuisance but never felt it was such a big deal. The Barbie never set up any RFMs. But she would join you at key lunches, with her manager, and dominated the time. Once was okay. But it was ongoing. I also noticed the Barbies and Kens never share their RFM appointments but would come to yours. It took this old timer awhile to figure out they wanted to keep the "good ones" to themselves. Again, I am so glad that I don't have to deal with kids pretending to be adults. Why I am saying this? Because they never admitted their own errors and it was always the others' faults.

and to expand on the Barbie's and Ken's - current Merck management.

We are now dealing with a new breed of managers that have inflated egos and a peculiar shortness of actual leadership. Call it the new breed of "tough guys/girls." The mindset now - this person had two great years in the field therefore they will make a great manager. Never mind the fact they have no integrity, play favorites and will throw anyone under the bus to keep their jobs and save their own skin. Take a look around and acknowledge the immaturity and lack of spine of these people. Has anyone noticed that a manager actually contributes just about nothing to the selling process and more times than not oversees a high-stakes teenage game of "being in my click and have you kissed up to me lately?" It's a sad way to live our lives people. This job used to be awesome - lots of talent and lots of promise. Now it's like being on a deserted island, fighting for survival against a bunch of crooked thugs.

I am being philosophical as an ex-Merckie.

Merck managers of the older era tend to have depth and more life experiences. They facilitated things. They are your cheerleaders. They would look for whatever you need to make your job a success.

Current Merck managers are acting like little analysts. They are more one-dimensional. They simply do not have any depth to draw from in dealing with the reps' other life issues. Perhaps it is a reflection of how the current job description of a Merck manager is. Don't be their (reps) friends. Don't care about their lives (illness, death, or whatever). If they "can't" sell, PIP them until they leave.

In the old days, being "from" Merck meant something and often was all the job security you needed. It meant that you had passed a tough selection process and you had been exposed to pretty solid technology. These days being "from" Merck is almost something you would prefer to down-play. Merck is not tops at anything any longer and if you have made progress there, that experience may not speak well for the kind of stuff you are made of, nor is it any guarantee that you know anything useful.

In the old days, being "from" Merck meant something and often was all the job security you needed. It meant that you had passed a tough selection process and you had been exposed to pretty solid technology. These days being "from" Merck is almost something you would prefer to down-play. Merck is not tops at anything any longer and if you have made progress there, that experience may not speak well for the kind of stuff you are made of, nor is it any guarantee that you know anything useful.

You couldn't be any more right on the money here. My manager truly was looking for ways to support my career development and help me achieve success when I joined Merck in the 80's. My integrity was never comprimised by the duties of my job or the actions of my company. Getting hired by and working for Merck meant something and people familiar with the industry knew it. Now, I must take pride in no longer working for Merck based on personal integrity and the kind of stuff I'm made of being incompatible with present day Merck.

Good advice. There seem to be too many ex-Mercks. We won't miss a few that go away. Besides, Merck is working very hard right now at making a very large supply of ex-Merckies

Old Merck and the first half of my career - when my ethics was never compromised. I worked hard and was rewarded accordingly. My days were spent calling on customers.

New Merck - "coached" by managers to fudge numbers. inflated number of attendees at pseudo educational programs, much more politics and posturing.

I don't miss it. But it is both sad and fun to watch as a spectator these days. Would be less when I unload the last of my Merck stocks.

That is the saddest part of the whole story. Merck has become such a sleazy organanization. Nobody values trust or straight shooting. Consequently nobody trusts anybody else. And it's every man for themselves. This environment is now 180 degrees opposite the culture that is needed to foster technical innovation and to attract top technical talent. Since there are so many obviously questionable people that have advanced, this degradation of trust surely must be with the full knowledge and approval of all layers of management. The amount of money that Merck and several others in the pharma industry have paid the feds sue to illegal marketing practices is stupendous. Some heads of companies are being pressured into stepping down as well. Is there any question that these less-than-fully-scrupulous methods will not actually go away with the right lessons learned but rather will be transfered to where enforcement is less aggressive - perhaps those famous emerging markets? In 25 years time the Merck story changes from the company being about curing River Blindness to being about curing Leader Blindness.

Tobacco companies pushing death, oil companies windfalling and war mongering, defense industry cheats, and pharmas with their opacity. All at the bottom of the ethical scale. And Merck is right down there with them. Merck used to be a place where everyone could come to work and know that ones effort would create some good in this world

That is the saddest part of the whole story. Merck has become such a sleazy organanization. Nobody values trust or straight shooting. Consequently nobody trusts anybody else. And it's every man for themselves. This environment is now 180 degrees opposite the culture that is needed to foster technical innovation and to attract top technical talent. Since there are so many obviously questionable people that have advanced, this degradation of trust surely must be with the full knowledge and approval of all layers of management. The amount of money that Merck and several others in the pharma industry have paid the feds sue to illegal marketing practices is stupendous. Some heads of companies are being pressured into stepping down as well. Is there any question that these less-than-fully-scrupulous methods will not actually go away with the right lessons learned but rather will be transfered to where enforcement is less aggressive - perhaps those famous emerging markets? In 25 years time the Merck story changes from the company being about curing River Blindness to being about curing Leader Blindness.

Tobacco companies pushing death, oil companies windfalling and war mongering, defense industry cheats, and pharmas with their opacity. All at the bottom of the ethical scale. And Merck is right down there with them. Merck used to be a place where everyone could come to work and know that ones effort would create some good in this world

Personal experience sadly confirms your assessment.

Although I experienced many. many great years at Merck, I am now embarrassed to have ever been part of this organization.
bravo!! I feel he same way...have decided to leave (and it is scary at my age) but don't want to do any more damage to my personal "brand" by having any further association with this sleaze-fest called Merck.

...edited... Since there are so many obviously questionable people that have advanced, this degradation of trust surely must be with the full knowledge and approval of all layers of management.

Actually when almost everyone have advanced to their current positions this way, they cannot possibly say the other person is doing something wrong. It's incestuous.

Yesterday someone asked me which company I used to work for. I was embarrassed to say, "Merck". Go back 30 years and when I said, "Merck"; physicians, nurses, pharmacists all lit up, smiled and said hello my friend, your company is like god and please come on in.

and to expand on the Barbie's and Ken's - current Merck management.

We are now dealing with a new breed of managers that have inflated egos and a peculiar shortness of actual leadership. Call it the new breed of "tough guys/girls." The mindset now - this person had two great years in the field therefore they will make a great manager. Never mind the fact they have no integrity, play favorites and will throw anyone under the bus to keep their jobs and save their own skin. Take a look around and acknowledge the immaturity and lack of spine of these people. Has anyone noticed that a manager actually contributes just about nothing to the selling process and more times than not oversees a high-stakes teenage game of "being in my click and have you kissed up to me lately?" It's a sad way to live our lives people. This job used to be awesome - lots of talent and lots of promise. Now it's like being on a deserted island, fighting for survival against a bunch of crooked thugs.

That is director tom Lyon in mvid. Just add dominates conversations and make it all about him.

Merck's reputation with pharmacists at one time was tops. Then Medco entered the fray and Merck's reputation with many pharmacists got shot to hell. Hasn't been the same since, with any HCP for that matter.

Got the Hell out of there after 6-years of being kicked in the ass by sub-par management, poor executive decision making and refusal to promote actual talent over ass-kissing douchebags... went to a small biotech where the money is way better, you're accountable for what you do and you get respect and rewarded for how you do. Love it, have never looked back and feel sorry for all my ex-colleagues who have been brainwashed that Merck is the only thing available to them. There is life outside of Merck, a much better life! Get out while you can and save yourself!