87% of physicians don’t want to go back to typical sales rep engagements.

Big surprise that Miss Dugan and her company's survey came back that way. What else would you expect when they are trying to sell an idea and product that could make their firm millions?

Why do Pharma execs keep paying these firms millions to tell them what to do or how to run their businesses? Companies like ZS and Publicis have been milking the pharma industry for years, most if the time with self serving information geared towards making them money and ensuring these companies continue to pay them year after year.

I think you are missing the irony in your statement. This is what doctors think EVERY TIME you talk to them lol. You're literally bashing your own existence. I love it.

73% of all statistics are completely made up..
tenor.gif

Oh shut the fuck up. I'm so tired of the constant whining about diversity initiatives. The data shows again and again that diversity is a problem. Deal with it. Fucking child.

Your right, diversity is a huge problem for the white male! The white male is the most discriminated person on the planet. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!

Hey, don't just brush this idea aside! 87% of physicians don't want to see you in their office. But . . . . . . . most of the office staff will invite you in if you are girding 12+ in. It works!

Worked for me! Have to become a bit creative if you want access . . . . Take a few photos beforehand, then show them to office staff. They will ask for proof . . . . . . . then you're in!

Since most doctors will no longer see pharma sales reps, you will be required to turn in your company car on February 1st. You are to use public transit or Uber for your one catering call per day. AZ Finance Unit

Hate to tell Ms. Dugan, but her little model is already outdated. AI companies are already working on software that can be incorporated into a doc’s handheld EMR device that will interface with labs, specific patient formularies for drugs, diagnosis capabilities, sample ordering, and all the current recommendations for treating the most common ailments out there for there specialty. Every medical article on a particular problem that’s every been publish, in let’s say the last 10 years, is accessible.

‘The patient comes in complaining with x,y,z symptoms, they do or order labs, orders tests , he examines the patient, and if not instantly, he has a diagnosis that’s near 100% accurate. I have left out a ton of other thins that the software can do! Samples are ordered by staff. He has your latest study before the company releases it to you ! The device automatically updates itself when connected to the internet. With machine learning it can actually teach itself .

an AI computer was compared against human radiologist in reading breast cancer cancer. It was almost 100% accurate. The radiologists were around 97% accurate. The differences the computer could read hundreds of images in the time it took the radiologist to read a few. This also is going to have a major impact on the need for physicians, Which will make mid levels even in more greater demand!

AI Will change medicine forever, and completely eliminate the need for pharmaceutical sales reps. And the big thing, is that it’s just a few years away.

One the most intelligent, informed posts I've read here in a long while.

The questions for the drug kids out there (I'm a retired 33 year veteran of Big Pharma Land.) is:

1) Will Big Pharma hold on to the appendix (i.e. vestigial organs) of sales representatives, sales managers and regional managers as technology and medicine go through an AI transformation?

2) Does the drug rep, the drug rep manager and drug rep regional manager have any more validity than the 18 Wheel Semi drivers impacted by AI in the U.S. ground transport revolution approaching?

3) What does the drug rep and drug manager actually do to drive sales today and for tomorrow?

• Is it simply subtle, borderline legal forms of quid pro quo?
  • Is it more unethical to give away food and drink than a pen and note pad, as the later was removed from use over a decade ago?
  • Is it in the "smile", the "laugh", the innocent but manipulative banter about kids, sports, vacations and stocks?
  • Is the rep not bound legally to simply, regurgitate the package insert as of ~2005, when the cottage industry of big pharma lawyers and compliance roared to the forefront?
  • What real "added" value can a drug rep and drug manager compliantly deliver moving forward?
  • Even orphan drug and biologic reps, let alone small molecule chronic disease reps, is their assistance going to be needed to optimize access, deal with service matters, etc. as applied forms of AI become available?
4) What can leadership really do about all the falsification and fraud that plagues this type of sales position?

5) If profits are threatened with real legislation reform, will that in fact, finally push the assumed "need" for drug reps and drug managers to a new low?

We will see. Razor Fish....unimpressed, rehash, nothing novel with an Amazon button, etc.

AI, other variants of such and its impact on health care providers and patients, alike, that's the real deal. That will be a game changer forever. Things change. Sometimes it takes 50 years or so.

Previous poster, some very valid questions. As someone near the end (~7 years), I hope I last. The one real difference is the engagement with a rep that takes their job seriously. Researches studies including competitor's and disease state related articles. Being able to create banter and tell a story that may make the doctor rethink their existing paradigm.

I'm not sure AI is capable of that, at least not for at least a decade or two. The thing is, what I exampled above is a very rare breed. Most reps do none of that. Parrot the CVA. Something a HS kid can do.