What's your biggest challenge to break into pharma?

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by elvisd, Feb 19, 2016 at 5:09 PM.

1. elvisd

elvisd new user

Hi Guys.

I am always creating content to help people to get into pharma. So I wanted to ask you:

What is the biggest challenge you are facing when trying to break into pharmaceutical sales?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Having to go through the interview process is easily biggest challenge, because there is limited information on your competition.

Companies lack integrity in the hiring process also. So, they might already have their candidate picked out (this happens with big pharmaceutical companies more often, I think), and are only interviewing you to meet the interview quota.

Its a joke.

Today, if you don't have a "soft" interview, you are very likely not to get in. You have to know someone on the inside, to have a legit chance.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Totally true. Not sure if the best candidate even gets real consideration. It helps if you're exceptionally attractive, articulate, intelligent, and qualified, but without someone inside helping you with the hiring manager / RD then it probably won't matter.

4. elvisd

elvisd new user

Thanks for sharing!

I do agree that interviews is where the game is playe;d and yes, they are a big challenge.

However in my 17 years in the industry I have never gone with that mindset that they already have the candidate to an interview. There are some interviews as you mention, but I get an offer for every two interviews I have. So, definitively they are not all a joke.

Do your best, even if they have a preconceived candidate, you job is to do such a great interview that you can make the hiring manager doubt. And trust me, you will!

5. elvisd

elvisd new user

Sorry, but it will matter.

Put yourself in the hiring manager's shoes:

He makes his bonuses based on the sales performance of his sales reps

Would you hire your friend ? Or would you hire the best candidate?

If the manager hires just based on referrals and not quality, he will be compromising his bonuses and his job stability.

Not a smart move.

Elvis from How to get into Pharma

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Craddling the sack.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ok,that made me laugh

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why would anyone go into pharma? There's a reason recruiters say "no pharma please". They are glorified caterers.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why would anyone be a recruiter? They are not needed they are a dime a dozen and are useless. Pharma reps make way more money than them. I laugh at recruiters trying to pitch me on shitty jobs. I get 50 LinkedIn messages a week from pathetic leaches with the promise of a great job only to find out it's terrible..

And oh yea "no pharma please" but yet 90% of device reps come from pharma .. Lol ok

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Interviewing is the hardest part. That being said I got into big pharma with zero sales experience and am now at ten years working in big pharma and finally found a great manager. You should read everything including "be brief, be bright, be gone"

I found two mentors by cold calling pharmacies to get the names of tenured veteran reps in the area. I cold called them and most helped me through the process. Oddly none of the jobs they tried to get me into panned out and I ended up getting in through a web posting.

Know the products. Sell the products as best you can and close even in the interview. THIS IS A LOT OF WORK. Who cares if you suck. They will train you. Having the huevos to try makes a difference. And when someone says you have no experience, get pissed off and refuse to settle. Fuck em, you can do it and when you start winning awards you can look back and laugh. Times have changed but people still want to hire the person who clearly can outwork everyone, you do that in he interview. The rest is cake

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who the hell wants to be a pharma rep these days?

Talk about an obsolete job...

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yeah it sucks. Making six figures is awful and so obsolete. Go back to whacking it in a call center cubicle.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What are some of the good specialty pharma companies to be at these days?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are asking a question that can't be answered. There is no such thing as a good pharma company. There hasn't been one in about 20 years.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Do not go into a POD pharma environment. It will be the worst mistake of your life. Do some research there is plenty here.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Upjohn Company