What's the Story on Applied Medical?

Discussion in 'Applied Medical' started by Anonymous, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was contacted this week by a recruiter regarding a sales force expansion with Applied and I wanted to hear the opinions of current or former Sales Reps about life with company. I am currently in Surgical Equipment/device sales and am considering moving forward with an interview with them. All responses are appreciated.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Main revenue driving product is laparoscopic trocar, followed by hand-access device which is market-leader. Experience will vary based on region; as well as GPO contracts in territory.

Traditionally, a 90-120k job on average....this is pretty typical for laparoscopy gigs...top rep was over 300k, but this is not the norm.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about culture? Micromanagement, benefits, quality of life etc.. I currently work a lot now with my current gig, but am not micromanaged. Mainly want to know if RM/DM makeup is of the Pharma mold i.e. micromanaging/overbearing.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stay away!!! Management is always looking over your shoulder. Benefits suck. No contributions to 401K,lousy insurance, and they don't cover all your expenses. Gelport is great, but everyone already uses it. The window of opportunity with trocars has shut and convetring trocar business is the only way to make any money. Top rep made 300k last year but will be looking for a job this year because there is NO WAY he will come close to hitting quota.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

10:25,
    Bullshit. 401k isn't a full matching; 25% match. Benefits are standard fare. Numerous reps have made # w/out trocars...but it is the main product to sell.

Begs the question, though...if the window closed, why do they keep converting hospitals? How would a rep make 300K, and still be at the top over a year later, if there were no opportunities to convert?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Horrible organizaton. Micromanaged is an understatement. The compensation plan is a joke. You get paid exclusively on growth. This means you convert an account you will get paid on it for about 3-4 quarters then nothing. So you do all the work of getting the business and maintaining it yet Applied puts all the money in their pocket. No residuals here. Company is a Joke! Stay away unless you like having unrealistic expectations on unrealistic timelines. Benefits suck! Expenses are capped. Im not talking about having some type of entertaining budget either. Mileage/Parking/tolls/cell phone. If you go over the set amount you eat it. Cheap ass company. The Northeast Regional is a douche. Stab you in the back in a second.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to correct you on one of your points. They pay 4500 bucks a quarter for just maintaining your current business..this is probably new since you were there.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At the top? he is near dead last. You better check your rankings.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How long does he have to turn it around?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is a prime example of what makes the comp. plan so mind-boggling....yes, he had a KILLER year. However, how can ANY person plan their lives when their income inevitably drops to 60-80K after a big year like that? That makes it impossible for one to sustain a predictable lifestyle, or have any sort of confidence dealing w/ any sort of major monetary commitment.

For all of the work maintaining and defending that business, how on Earth will he have time to win new accounts?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He does'nt. He looks for a new job.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You need to be desperate to take any sales job with this company.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to agree with most on this board. I haven't been thrilled with Applied so far. It's been about a year, not much money. Most doc's will give you the time of day, but when the product fails it's a deal killer.

Good experience for all those breaking into the med device business. But now I am not sure if all companies are the same!

Advice for someone with 1 year exp.?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How much money? What is the base salary and what about commission?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Limited product line and if Mike Clark is still with the company......run. run. run and do not look back!!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AM is good if you are just starting out in medical devices. the reporting and training are pretty good. Field management runs hot and cold. The comp plan will change from Qto Q but the main idea is growth, then you are in for the fight of your life defending and contiunuing to grow. good for awhile but it's hard to keep and maintain, ( ie predictible lifestyle). The east zone guy is a hourses ass, the rest down, by and large, will be looking to save their own asses rather that helping you. Get in learn as much as you can and get. out

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would a TMA opportunity with a good manager at Applied be better than a specialty pharma job for those of you who have been on both sides of the fence? Is there a solid future with this company if one performs i.e. solid pipeline? What are so bad about the benefits?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

does the northeast zone guy have the initials DG?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey guys this is an alert!!! A buddy of mine was registered on MEDREPS.COM answered a job posting and it ended up being his company and he got canned!!! companies are now posting on this webiste so you don't know who has the position. I found a new webiste called www.surgreps.com and they do not allow any companies to post on there!! check it out ... only for surgical sales reps...

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does that have to do with Applied being a lousy company to work for?