What's the Secret?

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by Tom Dissington, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM.

1. Tom Dissington

Tom Dissington new user

Hello All,

I am a biology teacher looking to make a career change into ortho or pharma sales. I have some sales experience but that was a few years ago. I’m in a “catch-22” in that I can’t get the experience without the job and can’t get the job without the experience. My question is this: what’s the secret to breaking into either field? Can you give me some advice, tips or leads that will help me achieve my goal? I would like to stay in the Carolinas as I am not interested in moving due to children in schools but am willing to get an apt closer to an appropriate job. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Tom,

I have worked as a career advisor for a long time. This is the advice I always give to those in your situation.

Your resume should only have one line. That line should be, “I am one of the baddest motherfuckers on earth”.

Though unconventional, it will get hiring managers' attention and they will want to get a look at you. Once you get the interview, it is your job to “wow’ them.

Good luck and please let me know if I can be of help in the future.

3. Tom Dissington

Tom Dissington new user

Thanks and I will take that under consideration... Any suggestions that don't involve that sentence?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Tom, the Carolinas is a good region for pharma especially if you're in NC. U mention previous sales experience, but to make the transition it "almost" always needs to have been outside business to business sales. Some common companies Pharma is known to hire from are Xerox, Ricoh, Cintas. They will hire from Enterprise Rent a car too, if u went through thier sales training. The teaching experience is good, I know teachers who got into pharma, bc it shows u know how to educate someone. Add the right sales experience and stay persistent and u can get into pharma.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oh and the fact that it's Biology you teach is another plus. Look at primary care sales as an entry level Pharma position. Look at contract sales too like Quintiles, Inventive, Publicis etc.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hit the bricks!!!