What ever happened to Joe Laternau-Vaccines

Discussion in 'Wyeth' started by Anonymous, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vaccine alum here. I'm sure I spelled the name wrong but if you're a vaccine guy you know who I'm talking about. Can't believe he rose to the level he did. My first exposure to him was in training 25+ years ago. He came in to talk to the class about selling antibiotic deals. I believe he was a DM at the time (in pharmaceuticals). Didn't have 16 divisions then, just Wyeth and Nutritional. When we eventually bought AC and vaccines rolled into the pediatric division he rose up the ranks. Remember a lot of friction between him and KD who was head and shoulders so much better and should have been the VP. JL and his stupid green blaze, diet Frescas, etc, was such a joke. Heard he fancied himself quite the ladies man also. Ahhh-good times!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was at Wyeth when he got promoted to head of sales (VP, I think). Name was spelled Letourneau or LeTourneau. He did not last long at that position. It was very clear that he was his own biggest fan. At a sales meeting, he actually showed the assembled sales staff a video of himself jogging. He was living proof that horses' asses outnumber horses, also living proof of the Peter Principle.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Joe retired about 10 years ago & lives in Louisiana. I think he does consulting for start up companies.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess that shows you anyone can consult!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Too bad he didn't show the video of him riding his bike. I remember he showed up at a meeting with his arm in a sling and all bruised up. Apparently he went head first over the handle bars. Proof his bike riding was as good as his management technique.
    Another funny story (since we are on the topic of JL), I remember the AcelImune for the primary series launch on Marco Island (by far the best launch I ever went to!). One night there was a "Gilligans Island" barbecue on the beach. The company hired look alike actors to play the cast members….Joe L was the spitting image of Gilligan. He was a closer match than the actor they hired. By the end of the night (after quite a few drinks) people were rolling. I still smile thinking about that launch. Good times! I do miss Wyeth….to bad the cluster**k that is Pfizer ruined it for a lot of good people. I made it there but a lot of good people didn't. Still can't forgive BP for what he did. Gave up without a fight!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hear you. Pfizer ruined a good company and disrupted many lives. Many good people were hurt, and for what??? Pfizer needed another booster shot.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's amazing what a poorly run company Pfizer is. Morale is a joke. They are more concerned with metrics than selling. Pfizer of the 90's/ early 2000 is vastly different than what it is today. What a joke!! With the latest reorg they will be selling off pieces and be a shell of what it was five years ago. They took over soooo many companies and became the behemoth that failed!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Typical French! Did the practically the same thing when invaded by Germany during WW2.
    But remember - BP got tons of money to throw all of us under the bus.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was at that launch also! Best one ever during my 20 years at Wyeth. Great time!!
    The launch that we had for Prevnar in San Antonio was so lame. Can you imagine, they knew that they had a blockbuster (potential estimated at one billion pre launch) and the meeting they held was such a let down. Oh well. Good memories anyway!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One of my district members commented that he was certain Joe was not hit by a Wyeth person. When asked how he knew, he said a Wyeth person would have stopped, backed up and finished him off!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now that's funny!! And true.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rotoshield in New Orleans was pretty good. They hired Ziggy Marley to give a concert for us. Lots of fun and very unWyeth like. I still think they shouldn't have pulled that vaccine. If it wasn't for the Redux mess they probably wouldn't have.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, Joe owns a home health business.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess he has to work for a living now! Good for him.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is he still a pompous ass?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My guess is no. VP after his name led to that. How he got that over KD is still a mystery to me. Ken must have not had a friend somewhere.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One reason Joe moved so high within the organization was that he and Dave Swingle were tied at the hip. Dave liked him and promoted Joe to a higher level than he should have reached.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That explains it. Couldn't for the life of me understand how it happened.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Whatever happened to Joe's sidekick Dave. It was common knowledge that Dave and Rebecca B were a not so secret item for a while. Not hard to believe with RB but surprising for Dave. Joe must have been a bad influence on him.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Correct & he's doing well.