Unemployment after getting a severance package?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Jan 16, 2008 at 9:58 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are doing all unemployment through phone and internet now.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Unemployment after getting a severance package in AZ?

So Whatever happened for you in Arizona. Did you collect unemployment in AZ in April/May or have to wait until after Sep 10 when your separation pay expired?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Even if it's mostly done through phone/internet, they still have offices. Get your butt out of the couch, get in the car, and drive to the nearest office. Walk in, and ASK to speak with someone. Why would anyone wait 7 weeks and not take the initiative to figure out what's going on? !!!!

4. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

I've never ever ever heard this one before. That is not possible. If the IRS can handle millions of tax returns in a matter of days and get $$ paid out for refunds, then your state UE offices should be able to do the same. There is NO WAY what you describe is happening.

EXACTLY.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There's no need to be snippy to someone just bc YOU havent been through something, geez.
    To answer your statemnt/ques compassionately:

Im new to this conversation-but not new to the 7week wait. The offices are understaffed and inundated with claims. There is a backlog and when you wait on the phone for 3days, it connects you to a machine that disconnects you to a dead telephone line.

It will automatically kick in and you will get a letter or email notification, based upon how you signed up, then a notice will come and tell you to file your weekly claim. Hang in there. I When I filed it took about 6 weeks and I was lost and clueless as well, with no human contact.

Regards.

6. Drug Dumper

I wasn't being snippy, and HAVE been through it.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Point taken, I respect.
    In Ohio-no access to office, just have to wait it out.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I AM on unemployment because my stupid company had to lay off half their sales division. I had problems reaching someone on the phone, so I went to the local office and spoke with someone. Easy as pie. It is completely stupid for someone to try and phone an office for 7 weeks with no getting through, and not take the initiative. If you can't get the human contact over the phone, you have to go and get it!! I got my unemployment started immediately after my severance package "ran its course" because I took the initiative and went into the unemployment office. And I am in a state whose unemployment is just below 12%. How's that for a backlog?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anybody know for New York, because I am starting to receive unemployment but still havent receive my severance package as HR told me I would receive within 30 days.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gawd almighty!!! GO to your local office and sit and wait to speak to someone like the rest of us did, if you cannot get through on the telephone.

11. question please: If I lost my job in Top Management and I received a Severence Pay can and I haven't found a job, can I get UnEmployment also, If I got another job, would I lose my severance Pay.
    Live in OHIO

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Contact your local unemployment office for Ohio, and they can tell you the answers to your question.

13. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle Active Member

You were in "Top Management" and don't know the answer to this question???

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No surprise someone from "top management" wouldn't know the answer to the questions. The management people are too busy with their fingers up their asses to actually have to do any work and look things up.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

please keep your personal bias out of this ....we are talking about unemployment,,,,we dont need your 2 cents.

Also remember that our grand and glorious leader, the Great One, the Lord High and Merciful Obama has decreed that, under certain conditions, you can get a reduction of up to 65% of your COBRA health insurance payments once you have involuntarily lost your job.[/QUOTE]

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[/QUOTE]

Please Keep your personal feelings out of this ... this is about unemployment ... not your persanal bias

17. Drug Dumper

You were in top management and can't string 2 sentences together any better than that?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's the thing. In NYS, to get the maximum benefit ($405 per wk), you have to earn $10,460 in a quarter, or 13 week period, it doesn't matter where this money comes from, one job, two jobs, or from a severance lump sum payment at the end, plus vacation, plus PTO time and whatever else (separation agreements, etc). This might be the case in your state.

If you make less than $42,000 per year ($10, 460 x 4 quarters = $41,8??.??) then you are better off waiting for the last checks to come in before you file and claim after all of that money has attached itself to your social security number for that last quarter. The closer you get to $10,460 in a given quarter, then the larger your weekly benefit.

It works out to about the same amount if you have children in daycare and a reasonable cost to commute. Take travel and daycare costs out of your working income and compare it to stay-at-home care and no commute, and your weekly unemployment income hasn't changed much from the $42,000 salary range. In areas other than NYC, bills can be met fairly easily using this formula. Plus, the hassle and aggravation of working with people that you wouldn't otherwise associate with has been effectively removed for at least a few months. Isn't that nice to think about.

If for whatever reason you make much more, well, then maybe you should have planned and saved better for such an emergency.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should never misrepresent the benefits you received from your employer, including severance. The employer is contacted and submits information regarding any separation pay.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Always get a lump sum payout for severance. It makes the whole process much simpler as you can collect UE immediately.