Tips About DSI Job Openings (Especially San Diego)

Discussion in 'Daiichi-Sankyo' started by anonymous, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:03 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you haven't noticed there are about 100+ job openings at DSI currently and we're not just talking just the Primary Care openings, instead we're actually talking about Specialty and Hospital positions as well. If you are considering joining DSI only do so if you are absolutely desperate to get into Pharma and have zero connections elsewhere. This place is a very unusual and here's a few things to beware of when/if you join that I wish someone would have told me:

1. PROMOTIONS
    Reps are promoted based on politics, not their sales performance and rankings like other companies. To get promoted stay home 4-5 hours per day and just be a kiss ass to your manager and help with administrative duties that they don't want to do and that's how you get a promotion. Invite your manager to lunch all of the time in order to inappropriately gossip about your peers. DSI seriously promotes reps ranked DEAD LAST in the entire company. Also, what DSI considers to be a "promotion" is about $3-7k increase, when other companies already pay $40-50k more than DSI. If you join DSI stay 1 year and GET OUT. Take your experience and run for dear life to a much better company, which isn't tough to find. Recruiters know that once you've dealt with DSI and sold these products you can sell anything, anywhere, anytime. Also, the company just did a big wave of automatic promotions where they promoted whoever they wanted to without the candidates even applying or interviewing and as you can imagine that didn't sit well with the sales force.

2. FCR SCORES
    Managers have the ability to do ride alongs over and over with their favorite reps so that they can increase their rankings quicker on the FCR scores (which can help a last in nation ranked reps get promoted). To get promoted you must have primarily 4-5's on your FCR scores, therefore more field rides mean you have more opportunity to increase your FCR scores. Managers are also able to select who they want to help them lead conference calls, training sessions, sales spreadsheets to track data and then they can increase their FCR scores for doing extra work. If you ever switch managers, just know that you can have all 4-5's, however if the new manager doesn't like you (even if you are top ranked) they can choose to move your FCR rankings downward to 1's and 2's for no reason. Bottom line, make sure you know that your manager can screw you over on FCR scores if they wish too. If you get the wrong manager on a rampage to destroy your career, watch out for this. Make sure to challenge your manager on FCR scores and make sure to get 3's or higher as quickly as possible. If they cancel or postpone your ride alongs often, document the dates.

3. PIPELINE
    DSI's pipeline is awful. We are still selling a drug that is 6 pills per day when other drugs have much greater efficacy and are QD. Next, we have a anticoagulant that was supposedly a blockbuster and it is a 4th in class drug that's not covered and is not selling. Our hypertension meds go off patent at the end of 2015, so get ready for lay offs, as this franchise is approximately 25-30% of DSI's revenue. Also, the anti platelet is off patent at the end of 2016 and it's already losing ground quickly to competitors who actually have a budget to pay speakers. Finally we added a constipation drug that is not selling either and this is a co promotion with AZ and they have already gathered that DSI reps are not very good, so good luck for future co promotion opportunities for DSI. The lack of a pipeline is what crushes DSI, because without a pipeline they don't have revenue to pay reps or provide more in service budget, which creates a nasty cycle of lay offs and comp plan changes frequently so that the place doesn't go bankrupt.

4. BUDGET
    You will have a tiny budget to buy lunches, breakfasts, or snacks. Be prepared to be known as the dead broke rep who can't afford anything except Sonic, Subway, In and Out, El Pollo Loco, which are all the things that the offices will not want to eat. They will often cancel your lunch and put someone with a larger budget on the calendar, so that they can have something to eat that they actually want. Also, every sales meeting you will have a roommate, which is unheard of for any other company.

5. TURNOVER
    Look at all of the job openings in San Diego and across the US. It's not a coincidence. Everyone leaves as soon as they get 1 year under their belt, maybe 2 years if they can handle it. Once you're ready to leave you can make $40-50k more easily. If the company would invest more in the sales force up front, they could avoid all of the turnover costs and create a much better culture in which they have a competitive sales force excited to get out and sell and boost the companies overall revenue instead of searching for jobs and submitting resumes all day long.

Good luck if you choose to join just be careful and really watch out for some of the managers. A lot of them are great, but if you get the wrong one they can really screw over your career and promotions at DSI.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I couldn't agree more. When a rep who is ranked for Gold Cup loses to a rep who is literally at the bottom of the nation, you know that the hiring process is flawed to say the least.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am a rep who is looking to move to San Diego. I have historically low sales rankings. Can someone please refer me in since I won't be able to get hired for anything out here in Louisiana?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is the district to join if you want to coast along and get promoted. The rankings do not matter so just get in good with the manager and make sure you accept all ride alongs to get your FCR scores up and you're totally set.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Half of the info is false.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

i thought the new amgen leadership claimed they were putting an end to all the worst ranked reps getting promoted like it has been in the past and i thought they were going to have tougher standards and start cutting the dead weight performers? i guess not from the sounds of this?

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

a lot of manager got promoted by kissing ass, so they look for reps that have the same quality

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is Franck Schellack still RD

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm currently a PC rep in TX looking to transfer to CA. Since there's a lot of openings right now I'm looking at applying for San Diego, Riverside, Oceanside, Long Beach, and Los Angeles. Any advice on the managers for those openings? Any ones I should avoid?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No he was smart enough to get out back in January before the launch

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nah he left after the Savaysa launch... Before layoffs in April was when he left. He saw the writing on the wall

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

when it comes to promotions, DMs look for reps who work from home doing their admin work, it doesn't matter if their sales performance is good. When you combine this home skill with ass kissing skill, the sky is the limit

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Complaining about promotions based on relationships and not performance is one of the most absurd arguments I've ever heard. And that theme keeps coming up on many threads.

Um welcome to the real world. Ever hear the saying " it's not what you know, it's who you know"?! It might not be fair but it's how things get done at ALL companies, not just DSI. Grow up and stop complaining.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

sorry to say moron, but in sales positions promotions are NEVER based on who you know UNLESS you have 2 top ranked reps going head to head for the spot and then one gets it over the other based on their relationships, which makes complete sense....however in this case it was someone ranked dead last vs someone ranked at the top......umm, that seems a bit like a DSI problem idiot

get a clue and start looking around at how other sales people get promoted and pull your head out of your ass for a minute... oh wait, you're still working for DSI so i don't think you'll ever have that ability

this is why sales is the easiest position to decide who to promote just look at the numbers its pretty simple

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Look, you obviously got burned by someone who positioned and SOLD themselves better than you. Don't be salty.

And just because you might have better numbers than someone else, that's doesn't mean you be a better DM or leader than that other person in the future. Sales numbers only get you so far. Stop depending on the and EXPECTING a pat on the back and automatic promotion. It's only a part of moving ahead. And stop calling me names like a third grader. As I mentioned in my first response, grow up.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So what was the shitty rep's rank vs the good rep's rank? Are we talking 20 spots or 150 spots? Numbers don't indicate good managers, they indicate good sales people. The shitty rep is doing a pretty bad job defending his/her case. This is entertainment! Keep telling everyone how numbers don't matter in a sales career!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The last rankings that came out I want to say that mr shitty was around 290 and the other guy was around 30. A little bit of a gap huh?! Lol good job DSI run off another top rep!!

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oh wow you're joking! In what world is that okay? That right there is how you lose your top talent. Promotions in sales organization should be going to people that can SELL. It's one thing if the promotion were to be a leader of some sort, as that could be different. HOWEVER, when the "promotion" is to be in basically the same role but to sell an anti-platelet that is constantly losing out to clopidogrel, read, more difficult to sell, the person being promoted should know how to sell and have documented sales success. I worked in hospital not too long ago. Glad I left if that's how they are promoting people that would have worked along with me.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Be glad you left because the new promotion strategy is to promote based on tenure and rank. They do this calculation and the lowest ranked and 2+ year tenure wins... So that's how an awful rep can win. They said at POA that they want dependable reps willing to stick it out with DSI and this is why they got the ups drivers who are sign and go and break the glass on 2-3 iPads per year... con artists will win out with this strategy

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You're exactly right they did make a big deal to point out turnover issues at the POA and they even said how everyone's leaving to make more money. They basically know at this point they are going to have to promote shitty reps like this guy because he sounds like the type that will stick around forever since he doesn't care about rankings. They can hang onto a guy like that forever because he can't get hired externally and DSI knows it