The mysterious $133M: Connection to PA State Sen Greenleaf?

Discussion in 'Valeant Pharmaceuticals' started by anonymous, Nov 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is me again, the poster of this comment #77. I agree with A Non-E Mouse/other anonymous commenters in some previous posts that Wisehart is not the central agent to this story, and importantly, is probably not directly linked with Pearson or Kornwasser (which would be the real game-changer, to find that link). But she is still an important and puzzling figure in this story, although (as suggested by another commenter) one who is more central to a local corruption story (possibly involving PA Senator Greenleaf), rather than to a billion-dollar fraud story involving an international pharma company.

Part of what I am reading into her story (sources being Facebook, LinkedIn and the Delaware County PA Court record) is that she is a highly educated and well-liked person, but who also had concerns and problems (personal, financial) like many who came of professional age in the 2000s. Some have noted what looks to be the record of an itinerant and unsuccessful lawyer, but it should be acknowledged that Sprigg Wisehart was an associate with Schnader Harrison for nearly 5 years early in her career, where she also worked with Carolyn Nachmias on at least one project (as seen on the Schnader ProBono Newsletter, summer 2003), and later when Nachmias, a decade on, was partner in Nachmias Morris & Alt law firm having the confidence to hire Sprigg Wisehart as Counsel at Nachmias Morris & Alt from 2011 to 2013 (continuity). The years inbetween as an Associate (at Greenberg Traurig 2003-2005, Ballard Spahr 2005-2008, Saul Ewing 2008-2009) were complicated by also raising young children and going through a divorce and custody proceeding (Delaware County Court records 2007). (I also think that the trope: 'only successful people secure a high profile job and hang on to it for life, relentlessly climbing higher, while everyone else is a "loser"' is hopelessly out-of-date thinking for our more moveable economy.) So I am absolutely sympathetic with these aspects of the life of Gretchen Sprigg Wisehart.

But what I can't figure out is the apparent evasion of an $18,000 debt on an education loan for someone who graduated cum laude from an Ivy League school (undergrad Univ. of PA) who then went on to get a law degree at well-regarded Villanova-- and how this did not disqualify her from top jobs in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (Although it appears the debt was in the process of being fully paid just as she was starting her Deputy General Counsel position in July 2013-- where did the money come from?) And I don't see how Sprigg Wisehart made the jump from a series of local law firms to high profile, politically-connected counsel positions for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and eventually became named Executive VP and General Counsel for Philidor RX Services. She has a high-powered boyfriend (Ellis) that may have greased the wheels for her at the state level, but it still remains a mystery how Gretchen Sprigg Wisehart wound up across the country representing Philidor to a befuddled Russell Reitz at the R & O Pharmacy when he thought he should only be talking to Isolani executives.

Lots of puzzling stuff, this. Although not central to the connection between Philidor and Pearson. Just for the record.

2. To post #77/81... If you dig a bit deeper and further back, figuring out where she grew up, and create a timeline for what you DO know, the picture of why she had financial issues becomes a lot clearer. It is indeed the story of millennials. There is a LOT of student loan debt out there. If you know the world of law firms (and their timelines), it tells you a bit of why she probably bounced around (i.e. the timing of events in her life make everything more understandable). I won't post more here for now because as you say, it isn't really relevant.

As you note with Ms Nachmias, I would note that she worked for Ballard Spahr, which is where Tom Ellis worked at the same time. She did some charity work (which had a political bent) outside her pro bono work as well, and it could easily have been that she kept in touch with people in that circle. If a state DGC spot pops up and she has political connections, someone (like Tom Ellis) might have told her about it and put in a good word. Sometimes openings appear and not many people show up for it. Not necessarily sinister.

As to why she showed up "across the country", I expect it was the same reason why Eric Rice and others from Philidor showed up across the country. Philidor owned Isolani and for them, it was a holdco. I am pretty sure Russell Reitz knew at the beginning that something called "XYZ" LLC incorporated in Delaware is a vehicle for a transaction and not a business enterprise teeming with employees. I think he is playing coy in those emails trying to get Philidor to put it on record that they are Isolani. I don't know the story here (i.e. whether RR was trying to get a higher payout or whether he truly was putting it on the record so that he could defend his name going forward). I note that Isolani has withdrawn its counterclaim against R&O (despite apparently being owed millions?). On this angle I will let those with more time and inclination on PACER do the work.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Isolani sued first. They are withdrawing their claim now, noted expedited, so on investor day Valeant (the 16th, they have a hearing on the 14th) can claim it was "all a big misunderstanding" and bullshit more. Gary had too much dirt on them so they are panicking. Probably offering tens of millions for Reitz to shut up.

The point is she was broke (as a lawyer), declared bankruptcy but the judge rejected that. Then she apparently became co-founder of Philidor and paid off her "impossible" debt shortly after. etc.

I hate to drag a mother through the mud but it's suspicious. The main fucks taken down should be Pearson/Laizer/DP bro crew.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

When Gretchen Sprig came across my LinkedIn and I saw her profile my gut thought something was not kosher ONCE again!!
    I surmise she was hired at that time (may 2015) because it appeared Philidor was getting unwanted MEDIA coverage April 2015. With UHC dropping them in late 2014 AND THEN SOME ARTICLES STARTING TO SURFACE ABOUT THE REFILL CAMPAIGN I AM SURE PHILIDOR NEW TROUBLE WAS BREWING, probably not to this extent.
    She could have been selected for a number of reasons, to help avoid any state investigations?. If she is listed as Co owner then maybe she felt an urgency to help save the company and Philidor became a priority . ...could be that simple .
    From some of the crazy things that did not seem kosher once again ,going on in the call center late winter ,early spring they knew some employees had already leaked info and a lot of us were not so stupid.
    Yes Daniel Forrester worked there and he was someone you had to answer to

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Tom Ellis ran for state treasurer but didn't get elected. He's a big shot on the local political circuit and part of the Governor's transition crew.

That might explain Gretchen's scoring of the Chief Counsel of Department of Revenue gig.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Interesting point

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

the common thread is Wyeth alum at Valeant, BQ6 and Medicis...that all were involved with the creation of Philidor. Stay tuned.

Deep throat

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like David Wing. Don't know who the others are.

9. One must be careful as to what one attributes causality. At BQ6, there aren't that many "previous pharmaceutical companies" in the resume set and indeed David Wing is the only one with Wyeth (spent 20yrs there) among the current partners, indeed the only one with pharmacy sales among the current partners. Joseph Caminiti was hired into BQ6 as President in January 2012. He had spent 35 years in pharmaceutical sales when he joined - most recently at Cephalon, but previously at Wyeth. I expect his chief asset was that he knew lots of people. He wasn't at BQ6 that long. As of the snapshot of the BQ6 Media webpage in early January 2014, he is no longer shown among the 'leadership.' David Wing and Joseph Caminiti were at Wyeth in Collegeville (which is just west of Horsham/Hatboro) at the same time in the very early Noughties.

The issue with causality is that as some pharmaceutical companies get taken over there are job losses, and as others grow there are people who jump to them. Finding people who are from that area and who spent years working in that area in the pharmaceuticals sales business who worked for Wyeth is, well, easy. Finding someone who didn't might actually be harder.

Several of the senior members of BQ6 play golf. A couple of the junior ones do/did too. David Wing has played golf at the same golf club where Andy Davenport, Matt Davenport, Greg Blaszczynski (all BQ6 partners) and Jeff Gottesman (Philidor investor) play. I am sure some people at Medicis and Valeant did too.

The key behind all trust networks is trust. That trust is developed over time and doing something together. High school buddies, golf, or time at Wyeth where Monday night football was down at Trappe Tavern (or a similar place).

But I AM looking forward to the reveal...

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I saw on theskeptic21 's twitterfeed that he had posted, via scribd, the Motion for Dismissal document from the lawsuit Isolani vs. Russell Reitz, et al., which is seen to be requested by plaintiff Isolani. Isolani originally filed their suit in California during that dust-up over missing Philidor/Valeant million$ withheld by R&O pharmacist Reitz when Reitz suspected he was getting caught up in some sort of fraud.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/291061375/Isolani-Motion-for-Dismissal

but the attorney representing the plaintiff Isolani and signing the request for "dismissal without prejudice" is not Philidor Counsel Gretchen Sprigg Wisehart. The signing attorney is Heather U. Guerena, an associate with the law firm Duane Morris LLP. The other lead attorney named on the document is Jason M. Ohta, also at Duane Morris LLP, San Diego. Jason Ohta has an interesting background. He is special counsel and a member of the Duane Moriss "White-Collar Criminal Defense, Corporate Investigations and Regulatory Compliance" section. In his biograpghy, Ohta details having a depth of experience in Medicare and healthcare fraud cases, both on the defense side and on the prosecutorial side.

http://www.duanemorris.com/attorneys/jasonmohta.html

11. And.... Duane Morris is the law firm where Gretchen Sprigg Wisehart's main squeeze, Tom Ellis, works....

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Executive VP and General Counsel at Philidor still has a few more tasks to wrap up before she joins her fellow 1000+ former employees in a new job hunt. From scribd, "Philidor Layoffs," notice submitted 25 Nov 2015 pursuant to Pennsylvania WARN act, and signed by Gretchen Sprigg Wisehart:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/292149479/Philidor-Layoffs

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

In the PA WARN letter, GSW clearly states that Philidor had only one client:
    "only client, Valeant North America".

Sometimes when I was reading some of the many articles about Philidor, it sounded like while Valeant was the main client, there seemed to be others they were serving.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think the doctors who were prescribing Valeant products to Philidor would sometimes prescribe products that weren't Valeant products to Philidor if they were writing multiple prescriptions for the same patient during their visit.
    i.e. - Onexton (Valeant) and Doxycycline (generic) or Solodyn (Valeant) and Epiduo (not a Valeant product), so the patient wasn't having to go to two pharmacies (or often times 3 when treating acne if they were using another branded product where that product was easiest to prescribe through a specialty pharmacy, a generic through their local pharmacy, and a Valeant product through Philidor.) a lot of doctors would just send everything to Philidor. Pretty sure that is what made up the other business.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am very interested in this article. It seems that it was big news and has fallen out of the spot light. Are there any recent blogs or somewhere I can find out where there are more updated info on Phildor - I am very interested in following this to the end.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

www.philly.com and @michaelpearson on Twitter!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I participated in this blog back in Nov. I am curious WHY nothing more has been written and even more curious about any legal action. Did the owners of Philidor/Bq6 walk away with all that money? Is no one accountable for any wrong doing? Are people today so naive they think a start-up can expand and pay bonuses after 1 yr.? Because so many employees had no clue!

The aftermath of the "cutting ties" with Valeant is also a bit of a story.
    I did enjoy re-reading this post after time passed because I am able to see clearly now. The one thing I know is always, always go with your gut-even when people chisle your core away day after day in the work place.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It seems Eric Rice is now the VP of Imprimis Pharma now...for Customer Relations. Either something new has come about for them (Davenports, Tanner, Etc. )or he just loved the pharmaceutical side as opposed to his long tenure in the communications field. But yes, very puzzling how hush-hush all this has become.

If this pharm company Imprimis is legit - I am completely baffled at how they would hire Rice with all that has transpired with R&O, Isolate, etc... someone in HR didn't do their HW.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

the entire system is corrupt. the politicians are all on the take. all these idiot executives are rigging the system to take all the money for themselves. the sec is clearly not doing their job and proactively addressing all these evil doers across the political and business systems. THAT IS WHY I AM VOTING FOR DONALD TRUMP. Great hair, big hands, and big balls to say that all these f-kers are corrupt.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oh, jeez... and you don't think Donald Trump isn't on the take?