Stryker ORTHO/TRAUMA

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I interviewed for a trauma position a couple months ago and a base was offered not just 100% commission. Yes, the position I interviewed with was direct and they stressed to me that this was a full time, 7 day a week job. Don't expect vacations or weekends off.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi guys need some advice...

Just had a solid phone interview with a trauma recruiter. She said she will be passing my info to the hiring manager so now the waiting game. However, I didn't tell her that I recently had 2 interviews at Synthes trauma but ultimately got beat out. Yeah I know not everyone gets that opportunity and im pretty sure that says good about my candidacy or does it? Should I use that as leverage if I get an interview with the hiring mgr or do I not even bring it up what would you do?? Thanks in advance ...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I posted this on a SNN board, but it's true across the board.

It means you are on call 24/7. No drinks with the boys on the weekend. No spontaneous vacations to the mountains to get some stank on your dank.

Every time you leave your territory is when you will be most busy.

Your phone goes off at 2am because some red-neck drove his ATV into a swamp, and broke his leg in three places, you go to the storage unit, grab your implants, and head to the or.

Huge learning curve. I am 9 years in, and I'm still learn something everyday.

It's a non-stop job. You will always be called to run trays, cover a case, help out a rep 3 hours away because he is swamped.

You will never stop worrying if all your shit is in order. The moment it's not, your buddy from ABC Company is ready to scoop up that account.

No mistakes ever.

You get treated like shit by pretty much everyone. They think you make 10 million dollars a year and treat you like dirt.

You put a ton of miles on your car. You will spend a shit ton in gas. And the expenses are shit.

Every year you seem to work harder for less money. The hospitals want to pay less each year.

Days no longer mean anything. your calendar is your trauma call calendar.

You will get a beeper and look like a d-bag.

No weekend vacations in NYC for your second cousins wedding. You won't be able to go because no one will cover your territory. Send them a card and tell aunt Milly you will maybe see her at Christmas.

Scrubs are comfy, but don't be that guy wearing them into Starbucks so people may confuse you for a pediatric heart surgeon.

The first time you add value to a case instead of just opening a box is amazing. It won't be for a long time so put your boner away.

If you don't have a family, and are a young buck full of piss and vinegar, go for it. The job is amazing despite all of the above. It truly is.

Don't do it with a family. The time away from the kids and your wife is too great. Your wife will hate you because you have to take two cars to dinner at your local Shenanigans, only to get called out mid-cheesesteak, and leaving her with the kids.

Best of luck.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That may be the funniest post I have ever read. True it was a little sarcastic but almost spot on. I'm 5 years in now, came from pharma and the 2 jobs could not be more different. Came to a territory with little business and got a couple surgeons by being there for the most ridiculous shit. (ex. taking out someone else's hardware). Over time they start throwing me bones and it snowballed. I could not believe and still do not believe how much they rely on you for input about a case and the importance of knowing your crap. The part the above talking about call is 100 percent accurate. Do not take the job if you are worried about car, time off, getting fucked up on the weekends etc. When your guys are on, u are on. When you leave like he said, shit will hit the fan and you will be sitting on a ski lift trying to tell the guy covering you where the fucking pan the doc wants is just to grab a single instrument out that only he likes to save your and his balls. You will worry the rest of your trip and therefore the whole vacation that you deserved is fucked. Your wife and kids ask you what is wrong 9x because you look like a zombie wondering if the case went ok because when you get back you may have lost your biggest part of your income because that was your largest surgeon.
    If you like a planned out day, run for a pharma job. Get your 8 signatures, home by 2, slap the wife's ass and drink wine. You may wake up with no cases on the books and have your busiest day of the yr, put in 28 hours straight because some illegal immigrant bus flipped on the highway and mangled all of them. Best part is telling the doc the one fucking size of nail he needs out of 50 is backordered will just have to make do with what you have. You will be yelled out, cussed at, told your shit sux simply because he cannot get the fracture reduced. It will be all your fault until it comes all together and he tells you thx and how good the final xray looked.
    You would think I hate the job the way I talk but wouldn't trade it. Its so weird because can't wait to get to the OR at times but are pissed you have to go at the same time. You will in time make a suggestion that saves the day and bails him out, a raging wood will appear in your scrubs.

Hope this helps

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Competitive 5 yr Trauma Rep here. Great post. Couldn't agree more with every point.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are there specific associate roles for "trauma and extremities" and "joint replacements"?

Or is this associate ortho role one in the same?

Thanks

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

quite possibly the greatest description of Stryker Ortho/Trauma sales I've ever read

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The job sucks

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ortho and Trauma both the same? I have a couple surgeon and PA friends that said they can get me Trauma gig but its awful. much like the post earlier about the immigrant bus flip meaning you at OR 3am gluing people back together. But they all say if you can get in and do hips and knees that guy does great, get in with a few accounts and make bank.

Back to original question. Is this position one in the same?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know why Jeremy Veasey was fired?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not unusual for them to lose some of their most loyal and talented people. Was HR behind this one just like some others over the past 5 years. False accusations-later proven by arbitration- didn't stop HR and execs from trying to cover their butts and ruin someone's career. Despicable behavior. Hopefully the "good guys" sometimes win in the end. IMO and from my experience some in HR at Stryker is very untrustworthy and unqualified to work with field people.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does Stryker have the instruments to do a suprapatellar approach for a tibial nail? I haven't seen anything. Any help would be appreciated.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, use your head and figure it out

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pretty sad that you don't know about our new Suprapatellar Instruments. Even more sad that you don't even know about our old suprapatellar instruments.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can't find any information about it online. Need more than google. I need the Stryker gurus on here.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Anyone having similar experiences working under the North East management? Good / bad? Please share experiences

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

run dont walk..

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The trauma management crew in and around NYC is terrible. It is the blind leading the blind. You would think in Mahwah's backyard they would have some competent people. Plus the new guy in NYC, from Shock, drowning in incompetence. No respect of his reps. They are losing all the contracts they fooled hospitals into signing because they don't know the players in the game, just the board room. Now the surgeons are getting their way when the contracts are up.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

big synthes accounts are about to sign to Stryker in NYC so I dont know what youre talking about. Stryker trauma reps in NYC are some of the hardest working in the game.