Stryker Bed Sales

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am in the process of interviewing with Stryker Bed Sales. I am through three interviews as well as Gallup. I have one interview left. Would be leaving a very solid pharma job, but want to get into med device and stryker very badly. Is the economy hurting territories around the country? How much is the average rep making within the bed sales division? What has changed with the down swing of the exonomy? How long does it take to get things rolling and making good money? Only thing that is terrifying is having no expenses paid for if you are struggling for first few months. Any answers or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good for you for having the balls to make a move away from pharma however taking a bed job with stryker is a major risk. No salary, no expenses nothing is a big hit coming from a job that pays for everything in pharma. In this economy hospitals are not spending money like they did in the past. Capital budget cycles are much tighter and most are only buying capital they really need. They are using beds for as long as they can. I would be curious to know why the position is open? Some areas are known for turnover and it has nothign to do with the rep but its because that area is on lockdown to a competitor. I was called about the same Philadelphia area position a 2 years in a row a few years back. Both reps could not have sucked.

Personally I think it is foolish in this economy to take a capital job with no salary, no expenses but it is even more crazy to do it as your first job in device. I am sure you are really motivated but I believe you can do better. If you were able to get this far with stryker, a company known to hire jocks and hate pharma reps then that tells me you are sharp and can catch on with another device company that invests in its employees. Think about it. If you take 6-8 months to get moving you dont make a dime, outside of your draw (is it still 4k per month) and stryker will be all over your ass. Not a good way to learn the device world and capitals sales and budget cycles.

Good luck.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow! I'm not the OP nor a Stryker rep, but rather a competitor. Bccccccut I have to say - it's refreshing to see some positive words of encouragement on this site... especially to someone in pharma. This site could be a lot more beneficial to a lot of folks if there wasn't so much childish behavior. Good for you!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the feedback! These comments are exactly what is scaring me about the position. Big risk but could be big reward. Thanks again.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What area of the country? North, East,etc.... Why is the position open? What line did the manager give you? Rep was not cutting it? Rep was not stryker material? Some horesehit like that? Its very important to know if the territory is constantly turned over.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have the ability to take a paycut for one year, then go ahead with the beds position. You will get a draw for the first 6mos so it is not like you get no money at all. Beds will be tough, but just make it through for 12-18mos and then move on. I came over from pharma for a shitty Stryker job, but after 15mos, I got a great job that I love. I will make at least $200K this year so it was worth it for me.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who do you work for now and what did you do at Stryker?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work selling cardiac monitors/defibs now

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just asking in this thread, instead of making a new one.

Very curious about the beds position. I was told 6k per month for the first 6 months then 5k draw after that. Was told you can make 200k pretty easily. Recruiter could be full of shit. Would love some real numbers to go buy.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If Jack was the recruiter, he is likely full of shit. Not being overly negative ... just real. Be careful. That guy makes used car salesmen look honest.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If it were easy, why is the territory open?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It wasn't Jack. I was wanting some answers from current reps. Typical responses from the quality crowd at Cafepharma.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

VERY hard job!!!! 50% chance you will go bankrupt 25% you will break even and 25% you turn a profit. The job is no picnic and will burn you out pretty badly. Even when you land deals you will still be on edge worrying about where your next paycheck will come from. Its a VERY VERY VERY risky position. But then if you do hit big you will make some solid money but that could take years and when you add up the amount you invested out of pocket to obtain that deal its sometimes a wash and if you lose the deal well you lost a ton of money. With the shift in medicine hospitals are freezing capital spending. Good luck!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for the feedback. I passed on a position in NH for those reasons.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's funny, you were trolled. It's a great in.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know Hill-Rom is the main competitor but what about SizeWise? How do they do in this market?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had spent years in the bed business and let me tell you its no picnic! I think that the people who have contributed to this thread are pretty fair in giving the truth to this position. It does in fact give you the opportunity to make some BIG money and it does happen. However for every 1 representative that I saw make big money I also saw several others having to close up shop because they have run out of money. The challenge of this position is a perfect storm of variables:

Pros:

Stryker is truly an excellent company overall and will make you a better sale representative
    Best in class products and very technology and clinically driven (I mean this 100% and I didnt drink the kool-aid!)
    Uncapped potential. I have seen in rare cases reps make 700+ in a year.
    OUTSTANDING training program! The head of sales training is one of the best in the business.
    GREAT on the resume for future sales opportunities
    No micromanagement by your manager. You have a number and if you hit it you stay if you miss it maybe you stay and if you miss it two times no matter your prior success you are gone.

Cons:

Shrinking capital budgets
    Life cycle of existing beds (hospitals project at least 10 to 15 years before purchasing again)
    Priority of bed purchase (so many things on capital list with limited dollars to use)
    Politics (no matter how hard you work you have to understand that most likely the main competitor is going to be buddy buddy with C level folks and veto the clinical decision and you lose the deal the commission and the amount of time and money you put into the deal itself.)
    No base, no expenses, no certainty = loads of stress
    Pipeline for the future worried me a bit. This is going to be a huge problem going forward.
    Everything is on you. You do all the selling, you do all the customer service, you plan all the deliveries, you handle all the customer complaints and issues, you physically have to place and remove the equipment. Everything is on you. Hospitals are open 24/7 and if something goes wrong with your product they will be calling YOU.

This job will take its toll on you professionally and personally. You can get rich here but likelihood for most is to lose there shirt. If I were you I would look for more security because this is not a good time for this division. If you are up for the challenge worst case sure you go bankrupt however you will gain a ton of experience and be pushed to a level that you never thought was possible to reach within yourself. Recruiters will tell you how much money you can make. But be smart about this decision. Hospitals are closing and consolidating across the nation. This creates less and less opportunities. Territories are shrinking with the addition of more and more reps.

Overall my time with Stryker was an adventure for sure. I was pushed to a new level and gained a confidence that I never thought I would obtain during my time there. I always say to my friends who ask about a job with Stryker "you do not want this job" but most of them couldnt cut it anyhow. Be prepared to work all the time and have no life for at least 1 year if you take the job. Also depending on the region you are interviewing for (which I am sure you have already made your decision based on the date of this thread) will play a huge role in decision. I hope that I was able to give a fair representation. Best of luck!

Kind Regards,

Former Stryker Bed Representative

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Interviewing for a sales account manager role (patient care) in Houston. Anyone know about turnover here or what the story is on the territory? Institution consolidation here is HUGE so not sure if the market is locked down with a competitor or not.