Spineology?

Discussion in 'Synthes' started by Anonymous, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:52 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spine Reps-

Any of you guys see Spineology out there? If so, what are your impressions of this company/products? Can optimesh be used in interbody fusion as opposed to a cage filled with bone graft? This seems to be a feasible use of product, better than using it for VCF?

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm interested in talking with this company but just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, but I work in reconstructive and we are facing the same issues with two new companies: Hipology and Kneeology. Any of you guys see them out there? If so, what are your impressions of this company/products? Can optimesh be used in knee replacement as opposed to a tibial tunnel filled with bone graft? This seems to be a feasible use of product, better than using it for THA?

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm interested in talking with these companies but just wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cute! God I love this site! I'm never disappointed with the sheer wit of individuals who have nothing but time on their hands to post replies that really 'help' the OP with their questions. Well done sir.

Now, as the OP I feel compelled to re-phrase my original question:

I'm currently in device selling spine biologics. I've been in over 250 spine cases and have not yet seen Spineology's technology used. I've been approached by the company about a position. I was wondering if any of the SPINE reps out there have seen them in a case, and if so, care to shed some light on what their thoughts are about this company, products, or how they see this technology being positioned in the marketplace? Your feedback is appreciated, thanks.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been on 3 cases with Spineology. The product works great for MIS interbody fusion, but it cannot be used standalone, it must be used with fixation. Spineology has been slapped on the wrist a couple times for off label marketing so be careful when talking to your surgeons. Last I checked Optimesh is NOT FDA approved for interbody fusion. However, Spineology has documentation to support the use of Optimesh for interbody fusion, but your surgeon has to request it direclty from the company.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I liked my answer better.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

12:43, OP Here: Thanks for your response, that's pretty much what I've heard also. Other than the off-label issue, which is obviously huge, it does sound like a good alternative for the surgeon to save time on the interbody portion of his case.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please...Half the stuff used in spine surgery today is off label. Cement restrictors anyone?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a great way to approach mis interbody fusion, however it cannot be used as a stand alone; back up with mis facet screws. Been in on a few cases and doctor seems content. This technology is off label and doc didn't seem to care as the premise makes sense (filling up a sandbag). I heard company at risk of being bought out? any truth to this?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've seen many cases with Optimesh. Users love the ease of use and outcomes. Make sure that it's backed up. Heard that Spineology is developing posterior stabilzation system.

Many products in Spine are used off label...that's how most of the bigger fish got to be bigger fish in the is industry. Have heard that company is continuing to innovate and refine product offering as well as regulatory status, (as well as other ancillary offerings) supporting Optimesh.

What are the rumors about acquisition?....that's news to me. Who is looking at them? Would make sense if it were ZS, Synthes or Medtronic, or even NuVasive for that matter. My take is that these rumors are a good sign of a growing company and succesful product.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have done 10 cases now with the optimesh for interbody fusion and my buddy has done a couple more with excellent results. One case had a suboptimal clinical result but all have had good highth restoration to the neuroforamena.

I like them. Good luck

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

By your post, am I safe to assume you are a surgeon? If so, what part of the country are you located in? If you don't mind me asking, thanks.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just like to add a patients outcome to off label use and the ease the surgeon has with this technology and lanx aspen device, how about a 3 level lumbar optimesh fusion with 3 added aspen devices non pedicle yep not one screw, that fell apart from the OR to the ward, nobody believing me for over a month i couldnt walk, looking at wheelchairs before revision traditional surgery. 2 levels replaced by peek cages and then the bombshell one bag left in which 12mth later has not fused even after being screwed in and pack around, other 2 levels fused 100% with traditional method, now looking at another surgery. You can call me stupid but im thinking there must be a reason why these products are intended for one level non pedical, like you fall apart!!! Would have been nice to be told beforehand too this was a new technology i had no clue until it went wrong.
    I would like to say im unique but met someone at an appointment with the same story, dont know about you people on here im horrified that guidelines for use are totally being ignored
    Interesting read on your website i can see the light now im guessing money

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mark Grubb in Cleveland Ohio gets paid by this company

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What competent surgeon would do a three level fusion with anything, and not use pedicle screws?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You do not have to use pedicle screws if you use Synthes Norian bone cement!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my doc fills the pouch with cement. he says the fusion will be better than using bone graft.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I just had one level with pedicel screws and the damn thing burst. Not safe or effective!

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is a product looking for an indication. It was originally developed for kyphoplasty, however, the floor fell out on that procedure years ago. Ever since it has been pedaled off label for IB fusion. Good for Spineology for hoodwinking the entire industry.