Seroflo= Generic Advair

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Jan 30, 2008 at 9:54 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The patent GSK holds is on the discus, not the drug itself. The discus is a new way to dispense inhalants, and works better than the traditional inhaler.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does it matter? Your doing more harm than good!

Asthma drugs may increase attacks in kids: report
    Tue, Oct 25 2011
    By Genevra Pittman
    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - One class of drugs used to prevent wheezing and shortness of breath in people with asthma may increase kids' risk of being hospitalized for an asthma attack, according to a new analysis from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
    However, researchers said, it's possible that when the drugs, called long-acting beta-agonists or LABAs, are used in combination with inhaled corticosteroid medications, that extra risk disappears.
    "These studies confirm our recommendations at the FDA that are already (on drug labels) for children and adolescents to use inhaled corticosteroids and LABAs together in one asthma product," said Dr. Ann McMahon, who led the study.
    But, she added, the researchers weren't completely convinced from the data they had that inhaled corticosteroids take away all extra risk.
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seven million children in the U.S. have asthma (about nine percent), and the rate has been climbing steadily in recent years.
    Some kids and adults with asthma are prescribed LABAs to relax muscles around the airway and prevent symptoms like wheezing. But there's also evidence that long-term use of the drugs may slightly increase the risk of sudden serious symptoms.
    LABAs are also used by people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, or COPD.
    The FDA report combines safety data from over 100 studies including about 60,000 people with asthma. The original trials were done by companies that market LABAs.
    The drugs include Merck's Foradil and GlaxoSmithKline's Serevent.
    Compared to all patients who didn't take LABAs, adults and kids who were prescribed the drugs were 27 percent more likely to end up in the hospital, or in rare cases die or require intubation, because of an asthma attack.
    That extra risk was greatest in the youngest study participants. Kids between age four and 11 who were taking a LABA were 67 percent more likely to have an asthma-related hospitalization than those who weren't getting the medication.
    That means that over a one-year period, there would be an extra three hospitalizations for every 100 kids taking LABAs.
    A small number of people of all ages who were regularly taking an inhaled corticosteroid together with a LABA didn't seem to have any extra risk of hospitalization, according to the report published in Pediatrics.
    "Although we were able to be somewhat reassured... it was a small enough sample that we didn't feel entirely confident, and we need to have further analysis," McMahon told Reuters Health.
    The finding of an extra hospitalization risk in people taking LABAs alone isn't new. Last year, after other research suggested that risk, the FDA began requiring drugmakers to write on LABA labels that the drugs should not be used without a long-term asthma control medication like an inhaled corticosteroid.
    Some asthma medications, including GlaxoSmithKline's Advair and AstraZeneca's Symbicort, contain both a LABA and corticosteroid. The FDA recommends such combined products for kids with asthma.
    "The thing that's new in this paper... is they've highlighted the fact that younger-age children may have a higher risk" when taking a LABA alone, said Dr. Scott Weiss, as asthma researcher from Harvard Medical School in Boston who was not involved in the report.
    Weiss reported financial ties to the drug company Novartis, and was formerly linked to GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca.
    McMahon said the analysis wasn't designed to examine the reason for extra risks due to LABA use in kids, and didn't want to speculate. But Weiss said it could be related to their smaller airways.
    He agreed that it's important for future studies to look directly at the issue of serious attacks in LABA users to determine the underlying cause behind those attacks -- and whether they're directly due to the medications themselves.
    Still, he told Reuters Health, "Nobody is really prescribing a LABA on its own -- that's basically off the market."

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are an idiot! There are 4 - 5 thousand people who die from asthma every year. Apparently that statistic hasn't changed over the last 20 years. This was a fact long before Salmeterol, Flut. or Advair came to the U.S. market. Do you damn research! People die from these drugs because they don't use them properly and/or are too cheap to keep a fast acting albuterol inhaler on hand. Having launched all these drugs into the U.S. market and having talked with every key opinion leader and researcher involved with these products they are safe and effective. My daughter has been on these drugs for years. Grow up, spend a day at a medical library. I realize that may be a stretch for some reps out there but don't post stupid information. And yes, I know of the FDA information but they can not put out a warning that says "this product shouldn't be dispensed to people too stupid to use it properly or too cheap to keep a fast acting inhaler on hand"!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Who in the hell wants to go back to using a Rotocap! I used that device a long time ago when it was a delivery system for Ventolin and it was good at the time but it doesn't compare to the diskus as a delivery system. I wish they would put out albuterol in a diskus. Could someone please send that up to Andrew. No one has ever been able to do an inhaler properly. The diskus is easy.

FYI! You can not import drugs not approved by the FDA into the country for retail use. You can try but God save you if you get into trouble and have to go to the ER. There is no way to ensure you are actually getting what you pay for from some mail order pharmacy located in never never land.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My daughter has been on this drug for years at a dose that alternate between the 250/50 and the 500/50. We work so that she can have the best life possible. Advair gives her a life free from asthma. You need to give up something else and buy the drugs that are keeping your husband "doing well".. It is hard to remain employed with asthma that is out of control and that causes him to miss work. Too many people complain about the cost of their drugs but not the cost of their new car or house or vacation or anything else that they can show to people. No one holds up their prescription bottle and says guess what I paid for this. Prescription drugs are not status symbols. Life expectancy has increase because of pharmaceuticals. How many people leave a doctors office without a prescription. Modern prescription medicine has saved lives and allowed people to live better lives. So forget the new plasma, the new car, eat out less and skip the vacation. Buy the medicines that gives you your life. Every company has a free drug program for people truly in need. You can also get compassionate use if you inquire!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AMEN!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So Canadians pay high taxes for free healthcare including low cost prescription drugs so you can benefit from your tax payments? How nice of you! If your mother thinks it works better then she has talked herself into that thought process. If she is using a Rotocap she is using the same molecular structure contained in the diskus so she should have the same thrush problem. The reason she had thrush in the first place was due to the fact that she did not rinse her mouth properly after every use or rinse the back of her throat as instructed. I assume the emphysema is from smoking? Does she still smoke? I never hear smokers complain about the cost of their cigarettes no matter how high the price. Your mother has known her entire life that smoking would lead to this type of disease and should have saved accordingly to treat the side effects of smoking. This is one disease where their is little sympathy. Have her take what she used to spend on smokes and tell her to spend it on her drugs. I'm sure her drugs are probably cheaper and they are actually keeping her breathing. Stop blaming the pharmaceutical companies and start writing letters to the tobacco companies. I bet she has never sent them a letter of complaint for her medical condition!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well here it is 2012. and seroflo is still available and being sold in the US of A and I'm taking it. What surprises me is that since this thread started folks are still buying it. What does that tell you? I haven't died yet .

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's Too Bad!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just before I found this board I had read where Advair was to be generic in 2009 then it changed to 2011. (I don't know what happened but it sounds like something fishy by GSK)
    I am suppose to take Spiriva and Advair. No way I can, so I have left Spirava out for 6 months.

I am widowed and on SS and not much of that. I have the same car for 10 years and not one vacation and clothes (if I get any from Goodwill)
    My last Advair was $278.00. The places I have found on line needs a script and my doctor says he is not allowed to write them for another country.
    The sites I find that does not require a script I think I would be afraid of. ?

Oh yes I would order from them though. GSL should be ashamed to charge what they are charging,
    I see on TV a company that works with Medicare and I could get all my inhalers almost for nothing. I call them very fast and am told they don't cover this state? How 'FAIR' is that? Does Medicare only like some states?
    I have used up all my savings and am broke. Guess I can or will just stop breathing. no I don't or didn't smoke, recovering from colon cancer and Chemo caused the respiratory and heart problems.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seriously - contact your local Agency on Aging or its equivalent, they can help find ways to afford meds. If you are on Cafe Pharma, then you know how to do a search. You are correct about any site not requiring a script - avoid them like the plague.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just bought Seroflo from a Canadian website and it came from India in about 10 business days. I have Medicare and some prescribtion drug coverage, but even with that I cannot afford the medicines or the doctors co-pays, sadly. Besides, when I was put on Symbicort, I told them right away it wasn't working and was making things worse. They had me on Spiriva too and that did absolutely nothing. The nurse practitioner told me to just stay on the Symbicort for at least 6 months for it to work and to get a proper level. Well, I did that and then became dependant on it even though it did not work and raised my heartrate immensely. So, I'm back to trying different things on my own. I did not need a prescription for any of these items purchased from this website. I know in the US this is some kind of sin, you are supposed to let the DOCTOR be the one who experiments on you, you are not supposed to do it yourself, heaven forbid. Sorry folks, but it's cheaper to do it myself. I try to read all I can about things and then take my chances. So often it seems the doctor takes his or her chances with us too. I've often questioned my doctors about an issue I have and was astonished to find they really didn't know about it but didn't want to admit it. So, if it means anything, do your best, read up and take the chance if necessary, you might actually feel better down the road. There are no guarantees even if the doctor does the deed.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This board is embarassing. Ive never heard a group of more evil, backstabbing people in my life. Arent we trying to find solutions here?

UK, Australia, Canada, US, we all know our healthcare systems are different and to flately compare copays isnt really fair.

I agree, the 140.00 Ive paid on Medica per 60 inhilations is so high Medica is droping coverage. So, Im here getting informed so I can make my own informed decisions. That said, the cost of Seraflo both price and health wise still outway the insane cost of Advair.

So, all you GSK sales guys, enjoy the insane run of luck youve had, stick some under your matress and hope R&D has something up their sleeve. I know of at least two companies in India alone who have spent millions on reenginnering your diskus and will be ready to ship the day your patent runs out.

For all us asthma sufferers, WINNING!!!

Now stop being such Aholes to each other, your acting like children.

14. #134 Anonymous, Jun 12, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just bought some from Canada Med Services / Discount Prescription Services
    4119 Bee Ridge Rd.
    Sarasota, FL 34233 | View on Google Maps
    Ms. Dulcy Kushmore Ms. Dulcy Kushmore
    (941) 927-3600 | (239) 571-4568 | fax: (941) 927-0027

I purchased 3 months worth, it comes in 30 metered doses per imitation diskus. 3 months with shipping cost me $215.00. The product shipped directly to my house in two weeks. I received 6 of the devices. Works great. I got laid off twice last year in pharma sales due to merger /acquisitions. No insurance, so I jumped on it. Works great! Saved me a ton of money!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you Canada Med Service for the commercial. Generics work within a 75% to 125% range. Hope you get consistent manufacturer. Always said a Kia is as good or better than a Mercedes.

16. #136 Anonymous, Jun 12, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wonders if this person watched the 60 Minutes story called, Bad Medicine?

17. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom Guest

I have used Seraflo from Canada with exactly same effect as Advair 250/50. I pay $130 for 180 puffs, and for non drug insured people try it. The dosage is not exactly the same but the price is 1/3 the price of Advair.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

YES, Seroflo is the generic form of Advair. I have gotten mine through a Canadian pharmacy. I checked out the origin and it is manufactured in India. They manufacture Advair of GKS. My pulmonary doctor followed up my research and found out the Advair we get in American pharmacies comes from GKS, and it is made in India. It is hard to find a doctor who will prescribe to a Canadian pharmacy. I had to do the research to show him that it's the same thing!

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

trelegy is going to ROCK! How bout you shitheads start leaving samples at the high volume offices?