Discussion in 'CROs - General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Apr 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does the reputation of the Pharma/Biotech company that you work for matter when you apply for another position? Specifically, if you work for a company that doesn't have a great reputation, will that hurt your chances of getting hired elsewhere?

Thank you.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes, it can cause you to be seen in a less positive light. That said, it depends on the CRO, if it's one where everyone knows training is non-existent or poor quality of work and oversight, you'd need to stress how you had to take initiative to learn, work, get better, etc. Having some CRO (even from a lesser one) experience is valuable.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it depends on several things.

First, what is your role within the organization? Will staff and management both have something positive to say? Sometimes it's a case of you versus them, but nobody likes a case of you against everyone.
    Second, is the organization perceived as crazy from top to bottom or are they well known for having really bad leadership only? For example, both Pyramid and Health Decisions are known for being screwed up from top to bottom - vapor ware, dementia, the whole Captain Queeg scenario. Others - such as the larger CROs can have pockets of very good managers and product. Certainly PPD, Quintlies, and Covance fit in these buckets.
    Third, is the company really a going business? The largest CROs have sucked a lot of oxygen from the room so just make sure your company is perceived as making it. Again - the smaller companies like Health Decisions (NIH) and Aptuit (GSK) are/were seen as one trick ponies and a contract away from insolvency. Match that with the late night firings and turnover and it can be perceived as very, very bad. Being a medium fish in a really, really small pond means nothing to most.
    Fourth, get out in front of the story now. Establish your contacts to offset the craziness future employers may here later. Again, if the CEO of Health Decisions or Pyramid called to bad mouth someone I think the entire Research Triangle would start taping the call for some Amateur Hour Late Night Fool's Edition. You could hear the laughing miles away. But others might be taken much more seriously.

Good luck in your search. I think the best advice I can give is to stay away from the balls out crazy one so you don't have to worry about this stuff later.