Relocation Package

Discussion in 'Shire' started by Anonymous, May 29, 2015 at 10:54 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Been interviewing the company and completed the face to face. From my understanding, I should be getting an offer in the next few days.

Curious if anyone can provide any insight on the relocation package? I own my home (mortgage of course) out in the North Carolina area and would be relocating to the lexington facility. The level is associate director.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hobbiton is a village on a stream locally known as The Water, a short distance west of Bywater. It had a mill, and there is a small inn called the Ivy Bush (training classes are here) at the eastern end of the village, on the road to Bywater. The part of the village on the north of the river is known as Hobbiton-across-the-Water. This included The Hill, with Bag End (recommend you live here) and the neighbourhood of Underhill on the south, and Overhill on the north of the Hill. The Hill Road runs north from Bagshot Row and continues onward to Overhill.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A 28 foot Uhaul truck and a $250 Target gift card so you can buy now area rugs for your new micro-apartment in Lexington are included.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have a family that has ties in the area you are now DO NOT take this position. It's not worth it and the leadership is in it for a quick sale anytime now. You will be stranded in an over-priced foreign land. Take something else, trust me!!!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What in the world is "the North Carolina area"? NC is a whole state. Do you stay in the state or somewhere else?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For what you'll pay for a house in Lexington, you could buy 3 in NC

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yea, can't be the bluegrass state

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shire's reloc package is not competitive whatsoever. It's one of many reasons people from Chesterbrook didn't relocate. You will get 20% of your salary to help cover whatever you need, plus moving costs, closing costs on both ends, and temp housing up to 3 months if you need it. Other companies offer much more. Housing is extremely expensive compared to North Carolina. For those in Chesterbrook, we weren't offer cost of living adjustment to salary yet housing costs 30%+ more.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That doesn't sound all that bad. 20% of your salary can assist with a down payment and the rest sounds routine.

The bigger issue for you though is that the company could cave any day and sell of.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

20% of your salary doesn't go far for 20% down on a house in Lexington. A $500k house in Philly area is $750 up there. You do the math.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The cost of bags is not reimburseable either, according to a ridiculously long email thread today.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I doubt most of the current employees or the OP would even be considering moving to Lexington unless they are swimming in money. Have to consider about a 1/2 hour outside the city for anything affordable

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know what you will get. Depends on your position and from the sound of it you aren't a current employee transferring, so it would be a new hire package.

Negotiate if you take the job. Lexington isn't cheap.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I moved from Philly to 15 miles north of Lexington. My house in Philly sold for 575K and I bought a smaller house with a little less property for 820K. In Lexington that same purchase would be close to 1 million.

In additon that 15 miles North of Lexington is easily a 35 min commute on avg each way. Add in rain or snow it is easily 1 hour each way. This past year was absolutely miserable with all of the snow we got. I am looking to get out due to the travel back and fourth to the office. Not sure I would do it again. If I did I would buy a much smaller house with a lot less property and live much closer to Lexington. good luck finding anything in decent condition in Lexington for under 750K.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only reason to be in Lexington is to get to Boston, which is a pain. Lexington is just a suburb, and dull at that. Every real biotech is in Cambridge or Boston. But you get to pay more taxes, get a crappy drive, and get corn-bored on property.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

IF you are adament on taking this position, do not move to lexington. Move about 20 miles outside the town. You can still find reasonable homes in those areas in the 400K range. Nothing is going to compare to cost in NC, but this will be your best bet.

IF all is true on the 20% as well, I really would try and negotiate more. If they want you, they will pay. Big risk moving up here....and big risk with this company. Can't say they are the safest and most stable out there.....

Might be wise to stay where you are....going to assume RTI

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would ask about severance as well. Shire is readying to cut posts in Zug, Switzerland office to save money and also downsize if not close Basingstoke. Dublin might survive, Lexington will, until they have gotten all they can financially then will sell to the right bidder. if you are moving your family, reconsider. Shire is not (prev poster) a stable or safe place to work.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really.......ask about severance if you get a job offer?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the older inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of big pharma might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Choke yourself maggot