R&D Layoffs!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:39 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow such animosity! I bet you wake up in the morning and can't wait to pick up your deli order and pretend that anyone listens to you! Face it - - - you are nothing but a Jimmy Johns delivery boy!! Granted you make some $s but how long will that last - - - a year or two max before pharma reps become extinct. R&D will always be needed to ensure future meds! Better put on the pizza-stained tie!!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

BINGO. This is reason why you must import talent from India and China. A Ph.D from American University not much value. Not good for America. They don't teach how to think. Just spit out information from memory and you get degree. Then information leave memory and have nothing. Higher educated people very lazy here. Learned from professors how to be lazy.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wwhhaattt hhhhavve yyyou ddonnnne hherrrre? Caaaan yoouu annnssswer ttthhhhe qquusssttion Of course R&D will always be needed to ensure future meds! It just won't be from the scientist we have now. Cheaper to buy one at a high cost. Dooooo yoouu uunnddderssttanddd.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This posting proves our point. Pharma reps have single digit IQ scores!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is a joke! Where the heck do you think Indians and Chinese get their Pd.D.'s from? Not India and China. You are truly the dumbest person to post on this thread! Have you ever taken a demographics class? Oh right. You can't spell the word, let alone how to apply it.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That is a absolute falsehood. Is that why we take your jobs? It seems that the Americans are the first to go so far. I wonder why that is. We work hard.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is that why there are 2 HUBS in China? Typical American "I think I'm the best" attitude. How is that working for you?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

These posts reflect a Trump-like mentality - all religions are bad, all non-USA are bad...yadda yada - all scientists are idiots at Merck. A scientist can have a BA, MS, ooh even maybe a Pharm D (google that one kiddos).....not only PhD. Lesson 3 - if it weren't for the scientists your sorry assess would not have medicines. Talk the game and blow smoke out of your ass you ignorant beings but one day you, your family, your loved ones will need some sort of medical treatment. Where do you think the sales portfolio comes from, let me tell you, scientists. Everything from HPV vaccine (which you should have by now little Johnny) to anti-depressants to cholesterol.

Think about the hard work that went into that little pill next time you crack a script. It did not come out of thin air.

No go back to your Shirley Temples and vodka and ginger ale and come back to the table when you grow some understanding and appreciation of the system.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's great. I am sure everyone reading this is very grateful for the wonderful scientists who work hard and discover new drugs. When do you think Merck will hire one?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yeah, and those hubs cannot replicate the animal studies done in West Point. Go figure.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Merck won't because their salary and benefits are crap. That's why the quality scientists have left Merck for greener pastures, and it seems like no one I know regrets it.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

All pharma is shrinking. Gold coins were falling from the sky 30 years ago. Especially in NJ. Now the big players are leaving. All that is left are these crap companies that make the Merck culture look good. They started cutting during the last recession and are still doing it. The greener pastures are no longer in pharma. All the gold was mined out years ago. Really, how long have we been in survival mode. How may people reading this is confident they will be here in 6-9 months?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Definitely not the lunch delivery boys and girls! Bawhahahahahaha

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I already made my money. I am not going into numbers because you can validate it anyway.
    From a business point of view pharma as a whole is following the exact same path as most failed companies. Will it happen tommorow? No, that would be a foolish statement. Here is the course.
    Large company mergers with large company. The merge is a bad idea because whenever like merges with like bad things happen. Especially when they are similar in size. It causes culture clashes. CHECK

They remove overlapping people rather than repurposing them. CHECK

They start to outsource as much as possible. Not understand the dynamics of outsourcing. The company goes with the lowest bidders. Quality goes down the drain. Accountability and responsibility are sacrificed for the dollar bill. CHECK

Management goes on the defensive. Any idea is easily put to bed. It's better to make no move or moves that blur the accountability and responsibility of people or persons associated to the projects. People start blaming the wrong people. They gang up on them and force them out. Projects start to get shuffled around. No rhyme or reason to do it. CHECK

The company starts to sell assets that make consistently good money. We used to have a few staple products we sold. One prevented sunburn along with other products. Good margins on them. CHECK

Then the company starts to buy assets that are over priced. They hope to buy the future but it just doesn't pan out. If there was a great product from the companies that were bought they would not sell. If it's a blockbuster the board of directors of the smaller company would not allow it. There is much more money if they go at it alone. Financing as cheap with interest rates so low. In most cases the company gets suckered in paying big money for a whole lot of nothing CHECK

Long term vision and ability to execute that vision goes away. That is where we are at now. That friend is R&D. R&D is an investment in the future. It's a long term

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I already made my money. I am not going into numbers because you can validate it anyway.
    From a business point of view pharma as a whole is following the exact same path as most failed companies. Will it happen tommorow? No, that would be a foolish statement. Here is the course.
    Large company mergers with large company. The merge is a bad idea because whenever like merges with like bad things happen. Especially when they are similar in size. It causes culture clashes. CHECK

They remove overlapping people rather than repurposing them. CHECK

They start to outsource as much as possible. Not understand the dynamics of outsourcing. The company goes with the lowest bidders. Quality goes down the drain. Accountability and responsibility are sacrificed for the dollar bill. CHECK

Management goes on the defensive. Any idea is easily put to bed. It's better to make no move or moves that blur the accountability and responsibility of people or persons associated to the projects. People start blaming the wrong people. They gang up on them and force them out. Projects start to get shuffled around. No rhyme or reason to do it. CHECK

The company starts to sell assets that make consistently good money. We used to have a few staple products we sold. One prevented sunburn along with other products. Good margins on them. CHECK

Then the company starts to buy assets that are over priced. They hope to buy the future but it just doesn't pan out. If there was a great product from the companies that were bought they would not sell. If it's a blockbuster the board of directors of the smaller company would not allow it. There is much more money if they go at it alone. Financing as cheap with interest rates so low. In most cases the company gets suckered in paying big money for a whole lot of nothing CHECK

Long term vision and ability to execute that vision goes away. That is where we are at now. That friend is R&D. R&D is an investment in the future. It's a long term investment.

Honestly, the paper degree means nothing once you've been in the business for 10 years. It's the experience you acquired that allows you to adapt and adjust to situations. You can take a R&D department and move it overseas. It's not that you are smarter and more intelligent. You know how to get things done because of life experiences. Anything new to them is old to you. The number crunchers don't see it that way because they don't have that type of vision. Do you think they ever spent one week in the lab or at a doctors office? That is a no. Because of that the final stage is heavy cuts in R&D.
    Once started it does not stop. That is because someone, somewhere would have to admit something went wrong. When was the last time that happened?
    Way to many egos to ever admit wrong. The reps will be ok. Naturally good leadership repurposes talent. We done have that. R&D is disposable now to them.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am proud of my job in R&D!! Discovering and developing new medical advances is a challenging and noble profession. To all the haters, does hawking drugs to doctors a noble and ethical profession? I think not.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree 100 percent with this post. When do you plan on starting your challenging and noble profession? By any chance in high school were you labeled challenged? Is that how you learned that word. Well good for you. Today you get a gold star. I'm proud of you. Now go back to work. Everyone wins.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Rep here, just delivered deli in sunny CALIFORNIA. Laughing our arses off at these posts. Reps in N .CA- silicon valley bought homes for 500k 15 years ago and have all cashed out for 4-5 million. Thanks Facebook, Linkedin, Google, Genentech and countless others for supporting the delislinger.

Fact is all the talent is in this area for biotech and hi-tech, who wants to live in BFE PA or NJ. Go ahead, do a search of rentals in Palo Alto, you will cringe. Sucks to be you.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Lots of baloney. I know people in Laguna and their homes bought 30 plus are not 4-5 million. Plus after the earthquake (when AZ is ocean front) those homes will be somewhere in the Pacific. See how you like living in the water.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hey dipsh#t east coaster, visit a map. Laguna is a 8 hour drive south of Palo Alto AND there are no businesses in that area. Bumbling fool.