Nuedexta=2 old generics!~Why pay more?

Discussion in 'Avanir Pharmaceuticals' started by Anonymous, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nuedexta is a combination of quinidine, a generic drug that prevents heart arrhythmia, and dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant. The combination is thought to affect the neurotransmitter glutamate, Avanir has said.

Why on earth would anyone pay more than pennies/day for this "combo" of two very old generic meds?

R.Ph.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh the brilliant pharmacist is here. wow , are we to bow to this person who counts pills all day?? Is generic OK sir? Are we supposed to be impressed because of the R PH ????

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I second that! Go count pills...on nights and weekends and holidays! A buh-bye RPh!!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because we own the patent on the combo. If you were a real pharmacist you would know that. No more compounding is allowed. By law, Pharmacies who were compounding those two ingridients must stop once a company holds the patent. Also, we must recoup developmental costs, clinical trial costs, filing costs, sales and marketing costs, etc... Go back in your hole and get generic kickbacks from someone else!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mr. Pharmacist. Provide your address so our legal team can send you one of our packets!

Now go back to the front desk, I think there are customers who need their Rx refilled and another wants to know where to find the pepto bismol.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First of all ingridients, really? If you can't spell ingrediants why would you bother demonstrating your ignorance for all the world to see? Compounding would be easier for the patient, but not necessary. The prescribing physician would only need to prescribe the two generic medications together to provide the same benefits to patients at a fraction of the cost of the branded compound. Good luck convincing physicians to prescribe your drug and good luck convincing managed care companies to cover it. Figuring out dose equivalents would be so hard. The days of combining two older medications to form a "new" medication are over. Your drug will not be covered by any managed care company run by people with more than a 5th grade education. Oh look, we combined two older compounds, but we added magic to the formulation to make it special. It is interesting that you cite recouping the costs of developing this farce of a product and no time on how it is different from the two products used together in combination. Oh that's right you add special sauce to make both products work better together. I wonder why you and your ilk have no credibility. It is just baffling. I have been thinking lately about combining chocolate and peanut butter and charging more for it, but that will only work if people are willing to pay cash. You have 6 months before you are looking for a new job.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are truely an Avanir rep I am embarrassed for all of us. If you were a real sales rep you would know your concerns are not the same concerns that any health care professional would share. Do you think patients or prescribers care if the company "recoups" its expenses for creating a cocktail of old medications? You are an embarassment to us all and I do not know how you were even hired.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You were right! There was someone looking for pepto bismol. It was an Avanir rep. Stock up you will need to calm your upset tummies. I just combined a clueless person with an uneducated person and I came up with an Avanir rep. It is better than just a clueless person and uneducated person separately. There is a synergistic stupidity. Together they are more stupid than they could be alone.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First, I do not work for Avanir so I am not just being defensive. You are correct that there are two generic equivalents. However, I don't see any generic company's funding trials and testing products to treat an unmet medical need. PBA is real for people that have it. There have been no good treatments to date. Avanir tried and failed once before to have this drug approved yet the SE were a concern and they had to go back to the drawing board, do new clinical trials and completely change the dose. Yes generics have a place, yet in some cases generics can stifle medical advances. In order to fund a study and help patients, there HAS TO BE SOME RETURN IN THE END. There are probably hundreds of generics that could treat diseases we have today, but no one will do the study's because there is no profit in it. Instead we only have newer, more expensive, risky drugs coming to market that we don't have a lot of safety data on. In this case, at least we know clearly the risks of these drugs and now we know how they work together. Not all companies that make a profit are evil. I wish all good luck at Avanir and I think this drug will have a niche....

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I love when people call other people out for misspelling words and then misspell the same word... the proper spelling is "ingredient"... Now who has truly demonstrated ignorance?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh wow, what a deduction , Socrates !!!!! If you are a pharmacist, you are A LOSER!
    Frustrated because you are counting pills all day?? So you come on cafe pharma to bash us?? Why dont you go back to the counter and get the Pepto Bismol!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Should actually be component or element

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone had their doctor(s) prescribe the two generics in lieu of Nuedexta? I just priced my potential costs and canceled the last order quickly for Nuedexta. My mail order pharmacy wants 409.09 for 180 (2 daily). My retail pharmacy estimate is 300.45 for 60 (2 daily). I plan to get along without Nuedexta when I run out.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What prescription coverage do you have?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have insurance and get a co pay coupon card from your doctor,
    you will only have to pay 30.00.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Only if you have private insurance. Medicare and others will require another program that is very difficult to qualify for.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What a disgrace . Big pharm strikes again. Knocking someone who is trying to explain that these two medications alone are fairly cheap as well as trying to help consumers not lose their shirt . In this country big pharm has raped consumers and hidden behind the bullshit costs of trials and advertising to justify the ridiculous costs passed on to consumers . The cot of nudexta is so ridiculous and so unjustifiable that to try and defend it while insulting an pharmacist in this board is a disgrace . You are all sickening and out of touch with reality

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is this site just for big Pharma tools?

The execs at Avinar Pharmaceuticals should be tortured to death slowly for charging what they do for nuedexta.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you had any idea what it cost to pay an out of touch and marginally talented executive team, you would be embarrassed to question the cost of these life saving therapies!

Talent isn't cheap my friend.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest