No experience -I'm looking for new career opportunity

Discussion in 'Southeast Reps' started by Ashley601, Sep 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Ashley601

Ashley601 Guest

I'm young (under 30) but I have a family to support and looking to get into the pharma sales field. I have a background in Finance and several years of financial sales. Would anyone recommend how and with which companies specifically would be good to look in to? I live in the Jackson, MS area and although I have no experience in the medical/pharma industry, I am willing to work hard and I'm a fast learner. Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good luck. I've been applying to these type of positions for almost 6 months and I've only landed 3 face to face interviews and still haven't gotten hired. You are competing with recycled reps who jump ship from company to company and unfortunately all the hiring managers put those "seasoned" reps ahead of you. Even though sometimes they only stay at places 1-2 yrs at a time. No loyalty but that gets overlooked. I have a Science degree and been in sales over 5 years but still nothing. Everything has to go through electronic applications. So my friend.. Good luck

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ugh... I thought that may be the trend. Thanks for your insight, Anonymous. And good luck!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I saw this earlier and almost responded but didn't because I'm busy prepping for an interview I have tomorrow. I changed my mind because you guys need some help.
    First of all, ya can't have the attitude that it's really hard to get a pharm rep job. If you meet the basic qualifications and your goal is to get one, you'll get one.
    Lots of companies hire reps without prior industry experience. There's an upside-you're not stuck in your ways, you haven't been "poisoned" by a bad culture or bad colleagues, etc.
    I got a pharma job off monster with no experience.
    Network! Use link edin to find people who you went to the same school as, grew up in same place as, are friends of friends, are recruiters-work it. Start memorizing the star question answers now so you'll be ready.
    Be bold & take a chance. If you want the job invest the time in doing your research on the company, products, values, managed care, etc BEFORE you get a call-send it in with your resume and cover letter. The company app almost always has the ability to add documents-be bold & show you want it more than anyone else. Same with recruiter submissions.
    Go to every single company's website and look at the openings. It's not that hard.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Also-get a professional to do your resume. It's 300-500 well spent.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

300-500 well spent?
    wow. such a stupid comment. How about going to your local college and getting it done for FREE!

Anyway, it really comes down to networking today, with all the online applications. Be patient and be smart, and downsize your life, and you will be fine.

To pay that much for a resume is not smart. Sorry. No way.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Also. your local job center or library might have services that can help.

don't spend that kind of money for a resume.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been in pharma for over 21 years. Do not get in this industry! It is winding down and will not need reps soon! Find a industry with a future!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gsk now only hires reps. With little or no Pharma experience. They pay a real good salary, however they test you frequently for your bonus because they don't pay for sales. Quite a screwed up system because of a CIA agreement with the government. Look on their website for postings around the country. Seasoned reps are leaving this company because they are dude to getting paid for sales. Good luck.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't understand, why would you want to go to pharma sales if you are in finance. I retired after 34 years with the same company in Jackson, MS and my wife is in wealth management for a local bank and makes over $100,000 more a year than I ever made. I thought $145,000 was good but selling financial services and planning is much better. You are looking at a decrease in salary. Just don't do it, you will do much better with Fidelity or working as a CFP for a bank.