News on Next Round of Layoffs?

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by anonymous, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

When I worked for Lilly (another "Patient First" company), layoffs came approximately six months prior to Cymbalta's patent expiration. GSK is now approaching that time period with Advair. Just curious on theories...

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No layoffs here chief, every is awesome. #pump_up_davolume

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

we have always followed Lilly and Pfizer !

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The dog is mostly black.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

check the markets, if there is heat on stock that can force action. I would imagine this action will take place once a new ceo search starts or has been named.

For now all hands on deck are needed for a variety of reasons. Once generic hits I think decisions will be made. Generic will take off very quick if it's priced right, if that happens it's going to have a extremely negative impact on all Gsk business as we all know. I can't see the positive spin lasting beyond March next year.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We have a triple therapy coming to market for COPD next year. It will be a massive launch! Nothing will be left to chance. This will be the potential last gasp for GSK. They will not lay off any sales professionals as they need all hands on deck. If the product does not gain any traction within 12-18 months, then expect major cuts! Also a potential merger. For the OP, no layoffs for at least 16 - 24 months. Basically 2 years of job security. Let's not forget the inventive contract. Go do your job and help to make this company profitable. Talk to you in 2 years chicken little!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Triple is going to be a bust. Look around at all the new 2-drug combo drugs in other spaces that have been launched with poor payer status. Very few payers will cover combo's, let alone a triple.

And physicians are cautious when initiating therapy due to adverse events, you really think they would start a triple right off the bat? That leaves us switches, and if a patient is doing well, saving money on generic Advair, what's the incentive to switch?

My bet is layoffs by first quarter 2017. New CEO, 2016 sales numbers in and Generic Advair on the market by March. And most importantly, payer coverage will be announced in January and it will be awful all around for respiratory products, drastically limiting growth potential.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Triple isn't for certain, it really depends how much they pay for access. Even with that doctors don't jump all at once on new drugs.

There are other triples coming to market, so there won't be a monopoly as Gsk would like to think. Also generic advair can offer triple therapy when combined with other drugs which will play some role. I know doctors were using triple therapy with all sorts of combos.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To post #7: New CEO will not be in place until the end of Q1. He/she will not announce any restructure until they have been in place for at least 3-6 months. This is Business 101. If the company is doing well (which it is at the moment) they will not risk profits. More than likely he/she will bring in a few new executives and politely and quietly offer severance packages to current executives who to not fit the new mold. Layoffs, if any, would be announced in the fall of 2017. Now, we have a triple and a new vaccine coming in 2017. Very unlikely that you downsize your sales force pre-launch. So I agree with post #6, no layoffs for 12 to 24 months. Of course, for those of you who disagree, you will continue to see the glass as half empty.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The cat is on a horse.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nostradamus lives......whatta' work of art ! ........must be newbie !

Layoffs always come before a holiday kids. Always !

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly! Look for announcements to begin 3rd week of Nov., with the next wave in Dec. to go into effect early Jan.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

GSK will clean house well before the next major launch of our triple drug. You want to clean house before the launch and allow the dust to settle so that everyone is pointed in the right direction and the company will put on a happy face to undertake the launch. So layoffs will come sooner rather than later. Just watch!

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hoping for the layoff. Free at last!

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sad but true. All the long timers and over paid will be cut prior to launch...replaced by InVentiv.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agreed. Cuts by the end of the year. The payer situation is dire for the Ellipta portfolio for 2017 due to the looming Advair generic. That's right folks, payers only want to cover until generic comes to market, then they want to drop entire Ellipta portfolio. No pharma company in the past 12 years has not conducted sales cuts after a multi-billion dollar brand has gone generic. None. And there is a duplication of effort in respiratory that may work now but will begin to falter. We are giving away product with our coupons and that cannot be sustained (look at what happened with Tanzeum). Regardless of whether or not new CEO is in place, US management has to do what they must to keep us profitable and that includes a leaner more nimble respiratory team by the end of the year.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Coupon Jack be nimble, Coupon Jack be quick,
    Coupon Jack jump over the candlestick.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Uh, triple may not be coming as soon as we think.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The amount of incompetence in management is amazing

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The payer will dictate this. I am curious to see how much generic advair makes payers drop other meds. Gsk may have to pay a lot more for access due to this, that's a lot of dough.

I wouldn't expect cuts by until they actually see a generic on the market. It's all hands on deck right now, if the bleeding is too much then you will see cuts asap. The timing of many things such as speed to market for generic, retiring ceo, and triple are all interesting.

The one to watch is the tanzuem team, coupons aren't making a ton of cash and the drug isn't doing so hot. Lot of cvmu openings too.