New Non Trauma Job with Synthes

Discussion in 'Synthes' started by gerhh12, Apr 23, 2016 at 7:01 PM.

1. gerhh12

gerhh12 new user

Hi. I'm a bioengineer looking to transition into non trauma sales. Can someone provide me a realistic salary from the second year onward after transitioning from an associate position for which I am being hired? I know there is a lot of negativity from pre merger people. I'd like to avoid any drama on this thread and just focus on the numbers. Thanks in advance.

2. gerhh12

gerhh12 new user

I forgot to mention that I would be in a smaller market which would probably play a factor in commission.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Think first if you want to do this.It is not as great as you are probably thinking. Do you want to trade off meetings, travelling, sitting behind a nice desk when it is cold and raining outside, being around people who treat you as an equal? Do you understand that you will be lugging things around, changing your schedule several times a day, kissing ass even to the most moronic individual because they work in your hospital despite their nastiness and mean attitude? Do you understand that today hospitals are cutting prices across the board and you will probably make a little less or over time the same amount of money? You are a professional and as a sales person you are as good as your last year. Think about this. Selling medical devices are not what they once were. If you still want to do this, go into joints but remember...everything that I mentioned above will hold true...and forget loyalties among hospitals and surgeons and companies.....it is a thing of the past

4. gerhh12

gerhh12 new user

Well, to be honest there is absolutely nothing in the bioengineering field near me. I'm in an area near my family and my husband has a good job. So it's either this or a career in a completely unrelated field.

But is 150k realistic? For us, that would be fantastic coupled with a car, pension, and 401k.

Also, can you explain how this is a sales job. That probably seems like a totally weird question but I'm trying to wrap my head around it. The hospitals near me already use DS product. So it's not like I'm cold calling or door knocking. I fully understand that I will have to take a lot of verbal abuse from a surgeon when crap hits the fan. But how am I technically "selling" when the surgeon is using it anyway?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

your last question indicates you should not be in the field. maintaining business is sometimes harder than growing it, and yes, its sales even though they currently use the product

6. gerhh12

gerhh12 new user

No, it indicates I had a question and a legitimate one at that. One way to answer it would be to explain how and why surgeons may decide no longer to use your product and switch brands. We aren't selling air conditioners where a Trane works just as well as a Honeywell.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dear prospective Synthes rep,

By all means PLEASE take this job if offered. Your warped reality of what "sales" is and your lack of fundamental understanding of the industry's trajectory are welcomed additions to the competitive landscape. Fear not, once a surgeon uses your product they are locked for life! No selling needed. I will be sure to say hello at the scrub sink when I am taking your cases.

Signed,

Your local Stryker rep

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

OP you seem new and have some questions. But you won't find answers to those questions here. Here you will find bitter reps who have had their pay cut, or rude insensitive reps who want you to fail so they can take your business.

Yes you can make 150k with base pay and commission. Yes times are changing and cheap knockoffs from China are flooding hospitals so in 10 years we will likely all be out of a job. For now, this job is still viable depending on your situation. You don't have to be smart, evidenced by the majority of the posts here. Harhar.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

no your question purely indicates you don't understand sales, especially medical device sales. theres a reason Zimmers sales academy (turning engineers into reps) failed