Nellcor interview

Discussion in 'Covidien' started by Anonymous, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have an interview with Nellcor coming up. I have been emailed a link to an "online assessment" (whatever that is), but have very little insight into this division. I am of course doing research in the field-but thought I would see if there was a useful comment this forum could sum up for Nellcor Pulse Oximetry and monitoring.
    Could someone elaborate on the following aspects of working for Nellcor? I will ask in my interview of course but would like info from here (crazy I know!).

1) Salary commission structure
    2) 401K/pension
    3) Medical, Dental benefits

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is coming from a veteran in the industry. Please stay away from this company and the Nellcor division. Middle management with this company is horrible! They hire people based on whether they will take orders from upper and middle management. Decision makers and execs. are so horrible that they have bought other stagnant companies such as Aspect (BIS) and Somanetics. These are products that are dead and require a rep for every 4 to 5 states, if that. Nellcor is obsolete, and they have decided to give away 7.5% of royalties the next three years to Masimo. This is about 35 million dollars annually of free money to Masimo for the next three years. Masimo is a joke too. The owner runs the company and everyone else is just there taking orders. Both of these companies can survive with a quarter of the employees that they currently have. Your job will never be secure in this enviornment. You might as well consider this company a pharma company. If you have been reading the newspapers in the last three years you will realize that pharma reps will cease to exist by 2020. Our economy and unemployment rate is in a bad place for a reason. If you dig deeper into it, you will realize that middle management is at an all time low in regards to talent. Take over, be a leader. Don't work for a shit making machine like Covidien.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's a great place to work. The info above is emotional and irrational. Nellcor has a great team, and a strong clinician presence.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am interviewing for the position in Phoenix, anybody have any information on this opening? I am wondering what the state of the company is as a whole. I have read plenty of discouraging commnets on the boards.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The position in pheonix is open because Masimo just converted all of Banner Health. You better ask the manager about the huge losses in that market. Also Pheonix Childrens and more to come.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the insight.

How much does Advanced Parameter and Pulse Oximetry positions have in common? The hiring manager is new and mentioned that Banner picked up business for Oximetry and that the Banner decision would not effect this position and products for Advanced Parameter. I dont totally agree, but then again I don't know how realted the products/divisions are. Any insight would be helpful. The new manager seems great but he also might be to new to know what he is getting into.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

People like you are a cancer and won't be happy at any company. If Covidien is so shitty then what are you still doing here? My guess is that if we look at the performance rankings we could clearly identify you by looking at the bottom five reps. If you're a veteran, then lets hope your getting close to retiring!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know both companies very well and yes, the disgruntled employee is spot on. I can paraphrase it this way: Management at both companies is poor, really poor, but for different reasons. Covidien (Nellcor) is full of incompetent ladder climbers, Masimo management is full of ambitious bullys. With regards to product, Nellcor is still the world leader but no longer contains cutting edge technology. With that said, most customers don't need and don't want to pay for cutting edge technology. If it does the job, is still very good, costs less, and has good support, Nellcor can still compete. My feeling is that Masimo is so advanced that it will become only a niche solution. Nellcor is probably more laid back with more job security. At Masimo you always feel you will be fired next week.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

advanced parameter sells BIS, LIDCO, Invos and does not sell oximetry. The comp plans used to be tied in, but are not anymore. Whether a hospital uses nellcor oximetry will have little to no effect on using bIS, lidco etc.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The ONLY thing advanced at masimo is the marketing. Nellcor is the only tech leader-still only one with digital technology and lots of new stuff literally around the corner. I love my job here. I enjoy going head to head with masimo and letting the customer see the difference between the hype and the reality.
    A quick way to tell the difference is that masimo wants to use their little trick box to compare products and Nellcor wants to use ABG.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Advanced parameter is a decent gig. Oximetry is struggling in a lot of territories.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tough right now.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Aasas

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is what you make it. If you can be successful with Nellcor you can go anywhere. Lots of opportunities. Top rep made over 400K. On the low end 125K. Company car, phone, ipad and full benies including employee stock purchase. 1 year guarantee. Very tough competitor. Recent leadership is very strong and we are moving in the right direction. Do a lot of research on the compitition and what would be your strategy moving forward.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is a great job at the right time. We are winning lots of business back, you might lose an account but after a couple of years-you'll get it back.
    Good people, good product, good times coming. And yes I work here now.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If Masimo had a marketing department, ethical management, and a good plan they would own this market. Covidien is a well run company with an inferior product. Masimo is a poorly run company with a superior product. You want to work at Covidien. They will kill Masimo in the end. Joe Kiani is an idiot with a HUGE ego. Reps dont get paid and the Hb product will never sell.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Masimo tech is all spin, when you compare to blood gas it is never great. yes you can get a number with masimo, infact you can get a number on dead people with it. I guess that means they are really good at detecting stuff.
    The tide has already turned, we are winning accounts back after Masi treated their customers like Spirit Airlines does-a few have run back just after converting to Masi. There are only so many years you can sell the "about to come to market glucose monitor".

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good to know reps are still sticking around despite the hype of Masimo winning new contracts. I just started in the Resp position, so thanks to the last few posts for their insight!

20. Deepsea_Diver

Deepsea_Diver New Member

Don't do it! You'll be miserable getting your ass kicked by the competition day in and day out. Covidien's technology is seriously outdated. Masimo continually updates their technology. You just won't be able to win enough to make a decent living. Not sure why anyone would be excited to sell SaO2 technology, but if it floats your boat, go work for Masimo.