Merck Management in a Nutshell

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Oct 12, 2016 at 1:52 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thomas L. Lyon III is in a hot air balloon micromanaging his region and realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised my boss I would meet her an hour ago but I don't know where I am." The man below replied "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude." "You must be an experienced pharmaceutical representative," said the Thomas L. Lyon III. "I am", replied the man. "How did you know?" "Well, answered Thomas L. Lyon III, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip even more." The rep below responded, "You must be a Merck pharmaceutical sales director." "I am," replied Thomas L. Lyon III with pure arrogance, "but how did you know?" "Well," said the rep, "You don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems!"

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No difference between Merck management and any other major U.S. pharmaceutical company, unfortunately.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The first mistake people make when assessing Merck's management is to make the assumption that these people actually care one bit about healthcare, healing, medicine, patients or payors...Merck exists now, not as a drug manufacturer, but as an entity run just to enrich the Senior Managers...Ironically though, the real free ride goes to people like the CTLs, who make a ridiculous amount of money, for what they do on a daily basis. There simply is no other job like it in America...Yes, the bathrobe brigade really has it made.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think Sean Swider pulls TLIII around in a rickshaw serenading him with how great he thinks he is. Two pathetic losers with no real lives, just Merck as an identity.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Tom Lyon should have to take a hot air balloon for every stupid field visit he goes on, sleep in the balloon and bring his own food. This guy gets paid over $250,000 to facilitate meetings, teleconferences and overload his reps with busywork that benefits him only. On top of that he wastes Merck's money traveling constantly flying all over his region, renting cars, staying at hotels and stuffing himself with food.

Merck can bring in somebody cheaper or just bring in a contract director who will entrust their local CTL's to handle the field visits and save the company at least $175,000 a year. Why are reps always replaced with contract reps? You could probably recruit a cheaper director with more vaccine experience and better social skills than Tom for much less. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

can't speak to TL but how about the fuckasses out west? you wanna talk about shit cakes? these guys take it all!! brown nose kiss ass micromanagement scum suck. don't know the first thing about managing the "team." mine comes to town every month like clockwork. adds his shit tidbits which mean nothing. then I have to clean up his shit mess. dr says "do you have to bring that guy in here?"

I'll continue to do it for as long as I have a paycheck. need to hang on for just a few more years. but they will end up banning managers, or worse, us as well. shit bag ctl's for sure

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can anyone post a response justifying the value of CTL field visits?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

they can't and don't add any value. they are all piss ants hoping to hang on to their jobs and also hoping that the managers above them don't actually learn they are pieces of shit in a can. make work to look busy. and they are dumb as shit too. At least out west anyway

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like troubles out west, is that train wreck of a manager still in N. California?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I encourage my offices to ban managers and to put up signs saying no managers allowed. Please start doing it guys and gals. This should really scare the pharmaceutical companies, especially the managers that never have anything positive to say to the reps.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

YES but he mentally "derailed" years ago, senior management won't do a thing and HE continues his reign of terror on his reps. I'm in an adjoining district and worry I will have to report to him if a realignment happens.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Great idea. Managers have done more to ruin access than any other single cause.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have no problem throwing my CTL under the bus by trying this tactic of encouraging offices to ban managers. These managers aren't doing anything to help encourage reps. Their job is to criticize and point out every little fault they can find to justify their jobs to the DCO's.

The CTL's always have something negative to say on field visits, very rarely complimenting what you have done right. "You didn't use the iPad detail aid correctly or at all for the one minute detail. You didn't ask that third probing question to uncover that belief to the doctor standing there arms folded looking pissed off because you are wasting his or her time. You didn't speak to that medical assistant sitting off in the corner to uncover other beliefs about the doctor. You didn't convince or close the doctor on the importance of blah, blah, blah." Unless you are the former S3 district pet/lapdog, haven't you notice you can never do anything right with these CTL's? Get these managers banned. Life will be so much easier.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To your point, this should not be limited to Merck managers. Managers from all companies are the problem. The situation has only gotten worse because the subset of physicians who will still see reps are getting bombarded with managers during field visits . I just had a doctor shut down access because she had 4 reps bring their managers in on a Monday morning. Companies need to take a realistic look at the role of field managers because the current design is hurting our business .

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree with you wholeheartedly .

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nailed it! however, no more realignments, only cuts so you won't ever report to him.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Fuck yes. And Nevada. And Colorado. And Utah. And Washington. And Oregon. Other than that, this places if a fucking riot!

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I've been doing this for years! Whenever my CTL comes to town, they know they only get in to about 2 clinics in my whole territory. Its very easy to set up. Hey you stupid ass CTL's-tough shit! Just talk to the clinic manager and tell them what youre doing: preserving business relationships. When the manager as come in, all providers run, we hunt them down, give them the shit verbatim, they hate it, takes too much time. They hate the bullshit as much as we do. Then talk to the providers and tell them what youre doing. 99% of them will think its a great idea. Then all you have to do is feed the front porky ass receptionist some sugar cookies and tell them what to say when the CTL shows up. "Sorry..only 1 representative per company in the back. No exceptions." IT will make your upcoming FV's very, very easy. These shit lick CTL's-they bring no value and they only do harm. Tough shit CTL's.

If more than half your district can do this, let the word out that managers have no access. Let the info get to the top. Before you know it-bye bye shit ass and useless CTL's! Do it! It's worked here. Our manager now is from another state after we always had a local manager here for years. You day is coming you POS CTL's. You want to play games? I'll play.

And try calling the office manager when Im not around. Like I said, I've trained them. You won't get anywhere. But, you will continue to piss off the office staff by trying to check up on me. FU

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I love this! I would add one last thing. I had a manager who pressed the issue to get back. Made me look bad. After he left, I had the office manager call HR on him the next day. Worked like a charm. O course, she made it even worse than it really was, but who cares? Just threaten your CTL's about how nasty some of these offices are, and that they will call HR on them. These useless managers can't afford to have this kind of thing going on when cuts are just around the corner. FV's are the easiest thing to manage.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like our Kaiser rep has been posting non stop again - quit stirring stuff up.