Medline sucks. Just a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Discussion in 'Medline' started by Anonymous, Jul 19, 2005 at 2:06 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
?

RFuROSWP

1. rlYXkYJwUUBvjGuB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. JFUJpbRsZoNJYNYDh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I worked inside and here's the deal:

They tell you:

1. Here is your goal - double production.
    2. If you reach your goal, we will give you 10% increase.
    3. In the middle of the year they change your goal.
    4. Decrease errors by 100%.
    5. If you reach your goal we will give you 5% increase.
    6. You reduce errors (except the one made by your boss), and get 99%.
    7. You get shit for all your hard work. They tell you "you are lucky to work here". All we ask is that you give 100%. Actually 200% because you gave them double production and 1 error in 12 months.

End of story, fuck you. All stories, all lies, all bullshit. Everyone knows it. They have the 3 people that have actually made money at the company interview you. So they are all like "Rah Rah MEDLINE ROCKS!!".

When you start your manager is so depressed he almost tells you to leave today and get out because that's what he is planning to do. The production software is so fucked up it's your job to guess what's wrong with it. Then the product managers call you at home asking "what's the problem with production?".

This is the most fucked up company. 50% of your pay comes in the form of goals that are set by some fuckhead in management that knows nothing of what your job is and gives to shits.

Then you get 2000 people calling you asking why everything is fucked up. It's a bullshit cycle. When you do get a break and things go good they change your goals because they want you to "earn" what you get. In 5 years I am surrounded with convicted felons, and people that could not get a straight job on the outside. Everyone else has left, and I am right behind them. All I want is honest job with good feeling and respect pay.

All I get is headache.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

then get me my money back.....

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, probably the best description of the scam they've benn ruunning for years.
    Nice work.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So your work in Dynacor right?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Medline is not as bad as some describe it. I came from a non medical job making 72K, with great perks. After 2 years at Medline, I will easily clear 85-87K this year. Granted they don't have great benefits, but many reps are making some pretty good money.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So you left a job with great perks for a minimal raise (which goes right back out the door as you have to pay for gas, shipping, ect) only for the slight chance that you may in fact be one of the lucky ones that might make some actual coin.

BRILLIANT!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It seems just about every post on most of the boards are useless trash talking from either ex-employees are soon to be...I just farted, see? gotta go...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, Well, most of you have figured it out and some of you well never, but there are some truths about management. The VP’s are scam artist who’ve gone in and out of a number of companies on the backs and careers of others. The finest example of this is our boy Stevie Wonder Maskrey. This is the biggest ego, bullshiter I’ve ever known. His career path is much like the Pres. and his Bro…
    It’s much like his personal side, Steve is it six or seven wives that you’ve had???? His picture of the holiday season is putting his arm around you and telling you everything you want to hear, and at the same time submitting you termination evaluation to HR. Merry Christmas to Stevie and all the other criminals of Illinois!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let it snow, Let it snow...

Senior Leadership esp. Stevie M...........the true version of christmas suckup!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lets get real jobs.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

take away from this thread-
    Medline: work hard, make a lot of money. don't work hard, whine on message boards about how you got screwed.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

amen....whoever the clown is that's talking about the bonus just can't sell.
    i'm looking at about $68k coming my way.
    stop whining. grow up. go sell.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what do the top reps make

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

$150

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He said top not average.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

then y is everyone complaining?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it would seem that everyone is complaining because, for whatever reason it didn't work out for them. i'm sure it wasn't their fault. i'm sure they were ideal employees that would succeed anywhere but medline. look, it takes a special person to truly succeed at any sales career, and that's even more true for medline. if you're bothered by not having a company car, paying for the occasional fedex and picking up some other expenses, this isn't going to be for you. sure, you may pay a couple hundred bucks here and there, but the chance to make alot more money is there too. you can take that job with a company that takes care of 100% of your expenses, "gives" you a car, and all that other warm and fuzzy stuff, but don't be shocked when you learn that about 1% of the sales force makes over 6 figures. the average medline rep that's been in the field 2 years makes that (and i said average). your job as a sales person is to sell to people. people should like you. judging from the posting going on here, it's not hard to decipher that some folks just aren't that likable. it's not just about the money here either. do i make great money? you bet. does the company take great care of me? you bet. do i agree with every decision made by the company? not by a long shot. do i want to pull my hair out sometimes? sure. but it's not all about me. that's part of any job you're going to have. grow up, grab your lunch box and get to work and be an adult. you're responsible for your success. medline's job is to put me into situations where i can achieve success, and it does that better than most. their job, in my humble opinion, is not to pamper me and stroke my delicate little ego and tell me how special i am. if that's what your're looking for, keep moving pal. and if you're scared, buy a dog. i also understand how difficult it can be in the beginning. but once you get through that (with a lot of hard work and a little luck), you can and should be looking at great money. most reps i know will make a minimum of $225k this year. learn how to work, kid.
    my advice to you negative folks: go find a job/career that works out better for you, and move on. but don't sit there and try to trash a company that obviously is a great place to work for so many. you don't achieve the growth medline has by being as bad as you say. very few companies in the world have achieved the kind of growth medline has.
    now, buck up, turn off Mtv Cribs, and go have a great weekend you crazy kids.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you Dr. Phil. Your comments suggest a relative ignorance of the facts. You could be new or Management, since you state Medline 101.

Medline's rep compensation formulas were once very simple and straight-forward, as was the market environment in which they were implemented.

Over the last 10 years or so, since the founding fathers passed the reins, both the market and the comp plans have changed. The comp plans have changed to the detriment of all sales reps.

Medline was once an odd, small, highly profitable, sales rep centric company that was a joy to sell for. An easily understood, generous commission structure produced commission averages were 4% and bonus payouts were simply calculated at 1% of sales upon achieving quota. Low profit business was discouragred.

In the late 90's management shifted from a profit plus resonable growth, to growth at any price and profit formula. Much of this was the result of the company's relationship with Columbia, now HPG. At the time Reps were making high monthly commissions and, in the eyes of management, did not show the proper enthusiasm in implementing new no/low commission GPO contracts.

Since that time, and by management design, more and more taxes are being applied to an ever decreasing commission average. To the owners, share holders (including the fake share holders), and useless sales mangement (who dream of becoming the Medline version of a "Made Man", a fake share holder), rep commissions are an unfortunate but necessary expense to be kept at a minimum. All commissions belong to the company. Excess Rep commissions could be used for a higher purpose, to pay management or be used to expand the business. Excess commissions are anything more than needed to stop a rep from quitting, unless management wants the rep to quit so the territiory can be split.

Medline is truly an amazing business story that continues to provide an excellent opportunity to many people, including some sales reps. The upper management has made good business decisions. The company is now an odd, giant, extremly profitable, company whose policies toward their sales force can best be discribed as antagonistic.

The statement above is fact. As is the value of a salary, a company vehicle, and other tangible benefits. However, perception is reality. Most business people, sales reps, and people in general find Medline's draconian policies toward their sales reps to be at best strange and at worst criminal. Your perception is personal and correct to you, but most people would not consider the Ponzi scheme that is "priority one" as a real solid source of income on which to raise a family. Medline cares only for the dollar. The concern that upper management has for the job satisfaction of any employee in their sales organization stops with Sales Management. These facts are neither right or wrong. As is often said inside Medline, "it is what it is".

I hope that you continue to enjoy your job, have a productive territory, and have a reasonably honest manager. You're just what their looking for.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you obviously know alot about medline, but not much about selling and succeeding. I'm not new, nor am i in management. I have been blessed with a very good management team. also, if you're looking at priority one as "a real solid source of income on which to raise a family", you're doing it all wrong pal.
    market conditions change, companies must change along with them. do i have to take alot of business at very low profit? yes! hey I'd love to sell everything at list, but those damn GPO's just won't let me. show me one company that is compensating their reps the same way they were 10 years ago and i'd be amazed. I guess reps like me have just figured out how to play the game.
    by the way, this was an awesome sentence: "Most business people, sales reps, and people in general find Medline's draconian policies toward their sales reps to be at best strange and at worst criminal."
    it's not true, but very well written. I really don't care what most business people think, they're not responsible for my livelihood. i am (there's that damn Dr. Phil creeping in again!).
    you really are a great writer.
    it's pretty funny. when i started years ago, there were people just like you complaining about all the "dings" and focusing on everything that medline wasn't. They didn't last. There were also people that recognized medline for whatever it was, and figured out a way. i really hope you find (or have found) a company that realizes how to properly treat an employee like you, you obviously are very special.
    as far as me being just what they're looking for.....do you mean someone who has the ability to achieve quota year after year and make a ton of money for themself and enjoying a damn nice quality of life (annual incentive trips)? i guess you're right.
    have a great super sunday shakespeare.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for your kind words.

Your ability to "play the game" does not change the facts. But it is a good way to bring back fond memories of great motivational National Meeting themes. I hope you can include a "Medline High" reference in a future post.

Rhetorical questions and denial are great ways to cope, they have served you well, and I wish you continued success. As stated, "your perception is personal and correct to you".