Looking to Break In (College Grad)

Discussion in 'Medical Equipment/Device Sales-General Discussion' started by Robert1494, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM.

1. Robert1494

Robert1494 new user

I just graduated with a bachelors degree in Biomedical Science and I'm looking to break into the medical device sales industry. I have been applying to many of the associate sales rep positions as well as other entry level spots. I have completed an internship with a sports med surgical company and I am looking to start my career with a big company in a very entry level spot.

Any advice on what company I should be looking to break in with, who has the best training, best culture etc.. would be greatly appreciated. Also, would love to hear any tips on how to break in out of school.

Thank you

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As someone that is on the orthopedics side of medical device sales it seems you are on the right track. The 4 big companies are Zimmer-Biomet, Stryker, DePuy, and Smith & Nephew...with some smaller companies sharing the remaining 10% or so of the market. If Ortho is the road which you want to go down my advice to would be to find out who holds the sales management positions in these companies in the geographic area in which you prefer to live and reach out to those people directly, preferably by phone, email works too. Remember these are sales roles so dont be shy about demonstrating a doggedness about pursuing the role you want. LinkedIn is a good place to start. If there are not entry level positions available in that area and you are willing to relocate find out through whomever you speak with where other opportunists exist. I suppose blindly applying to positions online might work, but I think you'll have a much better shot doing some homework and then selling yourself to those people directly.

If you are lucky you will wind up with a good senior mentor in the field who will take time to teach you the business and specifics about the products you will be selling. Additionally I have found that those that commit to learning what they need to know on their own time are the ones that stick around and are successful. You'll work like a dog and be underpaid for a time, but just look at it as paying your dues and being compensated to earn your degree in medical device sales.

Many on this site are the bottom feeders and malcontents of this profession, pay them no mind. This is still a good industry to be in and one in which you are able to make an above average living if you put the work in. Good luck in your search.

Robert1494 likes this.
  3. Robert1494

Robert1494 new user

Wow, thank you for such a well thought out and elaborate response. I really appreciate it considering what I see on this forum the majority of the time.

I like what you said about being very aggressive in the approach and reaching out to people directly within the area. I have reached out to many people (whether it be alumni of my university or just cold-calls) thus far and it has been very helpful. LinkedIn has been a good resource in finding people, however, I must ask you; In your eyes, as someone with experience, what is the best way to find and successfully reach out to the individuals in the management positions within my area? I have absolutely no problem reaching out, and am not shy at all, so I would say the biggest barrier would be actually finding these individuals.

I recently interview for a position with Boston Sci, but was slightly under qualified so did not end up getting it. I have also been in contact with Stryker, S&N, and Medtronic, which are places I would love to be a part of.

I have seen though, that many positions - even entry level - require a little bit of sales experience (one-two years of B2B selling pay roll, copiers etc..). I don't have this, and I know many people get in (as an ASR or associate) without it. So my final question for you (or anyone reading) would be: What is the best way to convince the hiring professionals that you can do the job effectively without those two years of selling pay-roll or copiers?

Again, thank you for a well thought out, positive response. Any feedback you can provide in response to my questions, or at all, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Smith & Nephew and Stryker want 2 years selling experience. Find a distributor for Zimmer Biomet or Exactech in your area to get the experience. Entry level may have you work inside with Logistics before branching out on a team. Good advice from former post, go to company sites to get technique guides and study up. The more aggressive you are the sooner you will be getting an interview.
    Good luck.

5. Robert1494

Robert1494 new user

Thank you for that. Definitely some great advice. I have one FINAL question regarding distributors and one other thing.

I do have a connection with an Arthrex distributor in my area, as I recently interned there between semesters last year. However, I know that people have their reservations about distributors and the whole thing seemed to be ran kind of "Mom & Pop" style. In addition, money seemed tight and it appeared that commission structures were always changing around. My big question is: if I were to put a year or two in at the distributor and then look for another job, would companies look positively upon a position at an Arthrex distributor? I'm just wondering what my general reputation would be coming out of that position looking for a job, as I have heard negative things about distributors.

Second and final, final, final question is: I have interviewed for a position with Thermo Fisher (Healthcare division) to sell diagnostic equipment to laboratories. It seems that I might get offered this position and my question is: if offered, would it be a good way to get the sales experience that is necessary to break into medical device sales at a company like Stryker, Medtronic, or Boston Scientific.

Please respond at your earliest convenience and thank you for your time.