Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

Discussion in 'Job-Seekers' started by Anonymous, Feb 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The CNPR is offered at over 300 universities and is the best method for someone looking to enter the field.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seriously dude, give it a break.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I took the CNPR Program and thought it was very good and informative. I am interviewing now so that is all I could expect from it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's all about who you know and if you are the chosen one.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is one funny thread..........never even heard of it until 3 recruiters from "different" firms sent me the exact same email reply regarding getting certification. I guess 10 years of top sales numbers is not enough? lol.

Sounds like a $300 fee to join the site they created.

Pay $30 and join MedReps.

Altho, if entry level then maybe there is some value, not sure what that could be as all companies will pound the Pharma Guidelines into your head if they fall under them.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just heard back from the District Sales Manager who I interviewed with last week. He said I was the most qualified and was very impressed with my CNPR Certification with pharmacology and medical knowledge. I was surprised because I was nervous that I did not do very well. I start at the end of next month.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You mentioned you were W-2 with $100,000 in earnings however real estate commission sales is typically a 1099 position -secondly, there are a lot of personal expenses associated with earnings ie, marketing ,mileage ,advertising ,postage ,supplies and various other expenses such as mls and association dues, etc.
    You're not too old to do anything -you need to find out what you like to do -real estate has many ups and downs with a long sales cycle and a great deal of anxiety associated with that cycle. There may certainly be advantages to working for a pharmaceutical company over being an independent real estate agent -you have more infrastructure and benefits and that may certainly fit your circumstances better.

8. Need advice

Need advice Guest

How it is really?

I am always get tons of emails regarding Pharma sales or medical device sales due to my B2B sales and worked previously for an Opthamologist. The question I have is, all of the earnings sounds great but could you work this industry part time, if there is such a thing? Also I seen some recommendations of getting certified, do you know what are some the best companies to go with get these certifications? Also why are there so many openings for reps? It use to be about who you knew in the industry.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DO NOT GET CERTIFIED! All those companies that claim these results when a candidate gets certified is complete BS. I've been a pharma rep and device rep only have my college degree. Getting some kind of certificate is a waste of time and money. They only thing putting that on your resume will get a district sales manager thinking why did they do this. Trust me a company will hire you without it even if you don't already have experience. Good Luck!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read post #72...it's a scam. Anyone disagreeing is a NAPSR employee. Sales experience on your resume is most important. If you land the pharma job, work there for a few years then move on.

Best of Luck

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ah, yet another BS post from one of the salespeople at these certification websites. Save your money. They are worthless!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This one is fake too. It amuses me how vague they are with these posts. What scumbags will do to sell their BS certifications. SCAM. You'll get a job by being good at an interview. You are not going to get the interview by taking these so-called certifications.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is pathetic how they are trolling these sites. PEOPLE these certifications are BS. I know dozens of recruiters (the real ones you talk to on a phone, not the email ones made up by these scumbag companies) and not one of them could care about this BS certification. Solid background and good interviewing skills get you the job.... PERIOD! Save your money.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is the actual email I received from this so-called recruiter. I'll show the email to me, my response and then their response back. If this doesn't convince you it's a scam, I don't think anything will. BTW, pay close attention to my answers to the questions, and the surprising lack of any response back about my answers.

---HERE IS THE FIRST EMAIL I RECEIVED:---

"It was good to see your resume come in for the Medical Sales Rep - Surgical Equipment opportunity. Your background looks pretty good so the client has a few more questions we need you to answer and email them back to me.

EXPRESS Rep Staffing is well known for being one of the premier employment agencies in the medical device and equipment industry. We work with top medical companies who are leaders in their respective therapeutic areas.

It is important for you to meet the basic pre-requisites for the entry level Medical Sales Rep opportunity. Listed below are some questions that the client has for you. To complete the application process we need you to accurately answer the questions and simply email them back to me.

Candidates should also exhibit proficiency with computer applications; MS Office and expense reporting. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Patricia Rowland - patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com

Website - www.expressrep-staffing.com

Questions:
    What interests you most about a career in Medical Device & Equipment Sales (DME Rep)?

What specifically interests you about working in Endoscopy-Surgery?

Give me an example of a time when you set a goal, and were able to meet it?

Have you completed entry level medical sales training or certification? (NAMSR, DME or RAI)?

Are your HIPAA Certified?

By chance have you acquired any hospital vendor credentials? (Vendormate, RepTrax, or VCS)

Have you been more successful servicing clients or developing a new territory?

Could you see yourself enjoying this job for 10 years or more? Why?

Thank you. We will get back to you soon.
    Patricia Rowland , Staffing Coordinator - Express Rep Staffing patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com

www.expressrep-staffing.com"

---HERE IS THE EMAIL I RECEIVED BACK AFTER FILLING OUT THE ANSWERS TO THEIR QUESTIONS. TAKE A MOMENT TO SEE THE ANSWERS I SUBMITTED. ---

"Thanks for getting back to me and I hope all is well with you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the pre-interview questions. We are seeking sales professionals with sales ability and industry knowledge.

It is important for you to understand how vital it is to show some kind of medical sales vocational training or education to qualify for opportunities. Most medical companies and almost all of our clients look to interview and hire candidates who can communicate the technical medical details of products with other healthcare professionals. For your information, the industry recommends a few programs for entry level applicants and the top 3 are the RAI www.raimedicalsalescareertraining.com, NAMSR Certification at www.medicalsalescareer.com, or the DME program at www.dmetrain.com.

I hope this helps and email me if you have any questions about the industry.

Patricia Rowland, Express Rep Staffing www.expressrep-staffing.com

See answers below,

----- Original Message -----
    <patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014
    Subject: Re: Thanks for applying. Your resume and background look great.
    Please review additional info and reply back.
    >
    > Questions:
    > What interests you most about a career in Medical Device & Equipment Sales
    > (DME Rep)? The money
    >
    > What specifically interests you about working in Endoscopy-Surgery? I've
    > always been interested in things you stick down someone's throat.
    >
    > Give me an example of a time when you set a goal, and were able to meet
    > it? I once was dared to eat 4 hot fudge sundaes in one sitting. I not only
    > ate all 4, I then asked for a 5th, just to rub it in.
    >
    > Have you completed entry level medical sales training or certification?
    > (NAMSR, DME or RAI)? No, they are a complete waste of money and I've never
    > met a rep who got a job because of one of those irrelevant, waste of money
    > certifications.
    >
    > Are your HIPAA Certified? No, but my cat and dog have been spade and
    > neutered with the SPCA
    >
    > By chance have you acquired any hospital vendor credentials? (Vendormate,
    > RepTrax, or VCS) Yes, I once dated a Candy Striper.
    >
    > Have you been more successful servicing clients or developing a new
    > territory? When you say servicing, do you mean in a sexual nature?
    >
    > Could you see yourself enjoying this job for 10 years or more? Why? Sure,
    > if the money is good and the work is easy.
    >
    >
    > Thank you. We will get back to you soon.
    > Patricia Rowland , Staffing Coordinator - Express Rep Staffing
    > patricia.r@expressrep-staffing.com
    >
    > www.expressrep-staffing.com
    >
    > ---
    > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
    > protection is active.
    > http://www.avast.com"

It's all automated BS to take advantage of people who are trying to get in the industry or reps who are without work. DON"T FALL FOR THIS CRAP!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is hilarious. The Medical Device Sales Industry offer the same bullshit style training program options....

I have applied to so many jobs and every time I get these same automated email questionnaires. For both Pharma Sales and Medical Device Sales gigs... What a joke. And it never fails. I recently applied to a so-called "Medical Career Sales" Job Fair which was supposed to be by "Invitation Only".

I sent in my resume, and of course they found others who they felt were more qualified than me (and about 20 other people being emailed the declination), but then the email went on to say that I could still show up and talk with a rep from "Medical Sales College" and "EliteMed Recruiting".

These companies are one in the same. I know this from studying the messages on this board. When you go to the "EliteMed Recruiting" site and click on entry level job seeker, it will bounce you right back to the Medical Sales College option and their course options ranging from $6000 to $11,250, alongside some crap course for studying cardiac arrhythmias for 6 months which costs $23,000 and one for studying some other crap for 8 months which costs $30,000.

Really...but I have an M.D./MBA degree....I still have to spend this kind of loot to get a pharma sales gig?

Fuck it...I'll just take a medical coding course...

17. I agree...CLEARLY THIS IS A SITE FOR BLATANTLY LYING ABOUT THE NECESSITY FOR NAPSR AND THEIR PATHETIC COURSES (AND SIMILAR COURSES). DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY WITH THESE COURSES!!! THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU, THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY. I have been in the industry for over 25 years and no self respecting pharmaceutical/biotech company gives a hoot about these courses. When you are hired, the pharma company will teach you everything they want you to know. NAPSR and these other courses are a SCAM!!! This is just a site for THEM to plug their wares. The NAPSR people (and the others) really should be in jail for posting fake jobs and scamming people out of their money!!!!!!

U.S. CERTIFICATION BOARD - Certification and vocational training programs can only qualify individuals for careers in their prospective industries. Such accredited healthcare certifications as listed above cannot guarantee employment. Certification programs will only match candidates to meet job requirements and qualify them for interviews. Vocational healthcare certification programs at best only employ 70% of their graduates. Graduates from such programs must interview for all positions and possess other personal skills not taught in the educational course, such as: communication skills, professional image, self-motivation, work ethic, etc. If you are considering such a healthcare industry certification program understand that at best you will only qualify for interviews. Certified applicants typically must succeed through a multiple interview process. If you have questions you can contact the U.S. Certification review board.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I interviewed yesterday for a pharmaceutical sales job with Astellas and they asked about my pharmaceutical sales training and the CNPR. So they do look for it.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have you obtained a position in pharmaceutical sales yet?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any kind of vocational training will help you as long as it is accredited. The CNPR is available at over 300 college and is well respected.