Lens care is on its last leg

Discussion in 'Alcon' started by anonymous, Nov 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Watching TV!!! Hahahaha..wait..that sounds like "da-box" if you know what I mean!! Watch out TJ, SM and RA...You're in the spotlight now..LMFAO!!!!!!!!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hopefully, a CMO (contract manufacturing organization) will take over. At least most of manufacturing would at least have a chance to work for them instead of losing those jobs entirely. It takes a long time to train people to run that equipment and do all the training and paperwork associated with running the lines. If even half of the current manufacturing employees left or lost their jobs, very little product would be going out to the customers. Next thing you know, there would be fewer and fewer customers. There is a good group of production employees now, the only problem is the new supervisors and managers. There's a revolving door for them. New ones every year. You could compare the turnover in those jobs to Walmart or McDonalds. There have been so many changes for the worse since Novartis took over that even the bosses can't stand it anymore.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think the point that he/she is making is that lens care is losing money because of unnecessary ot, effiency, scrap and no good supervision/management. These problems have gotten so much worse in the last year or so. The crazy thing about it all is that the only people who realize it are the workers. I heard that back during shutdown there were 7, yes 7, trailer loads of product that had to be grinded. That's a hell of a lot of scrap/waste. I don't know the reason why all that was grinded but you get the point. It's no wonder lens care is losing money this year.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You totally underestimate your worth. I have seen plants with upwards of 2000 (yes that is three zeros) people shut down permanently. It makes a whole lot of sense to amputate than to continue to bleed and contract gangrene.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

that should obviously have been 'overestimate'

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not sure what you mean. I was trying to point out that there is a glimmer of hope. Bloomberg quoted as analyst saying,
    On the one hand it is high margin and will be a loss to division cash flow, but if Alcon continues to be a drag on group performance, its days could be numbered.”

When they say that it is high margin and will be a loss to division cash flow, there saying there is a lot of profit to be made off of lens solutions. In other words, it doesn't cost much to produce and they make a lot of money off of it (ideally of course).

So there is a money making potential for lens care especially from developing market. The problem is, it sounds like Novartis management doesn't see long term potential in lens care and is at least discussing selling it off to someone else.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Those units are making tons of money, look at the total units out the door, (less the scrap, waste, and cheap overtime-overtime in manufacturing whatever! put 200+ bottles out the door a minute, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out within less than an hour overtime was a blink of the eye, come on dumbass) kinda like saying selling bottled water for .99 cents a bottle ain't worth a few grand on overtime, when you got a profit margin of at least 96% on ClearCare . Kinda like selling 12oz can of Coke Cola for 3-4$ a can, how can u fuck that up

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Understand what you're saying, but how is it Lens Care is bleeding so much money then? Overtime is only a small part of the bigger picture. Bloomberg also was quoted as saying,
    Revenue at Novartis’s contact care business — which sells products to clean, store and moisturize lenses — fell 7.4 percent to $646 million last year.
    That means that from last year around this time to now that the department has lost 7.4% in sales. In the big business world that's a lot of money. You can't tell me that 1 product (clearcare) is going to save the day. Especially when there's only 2 lines running it and they don't run everyday. It could just be that sales are down and fewer and fewer people are buying our products. The people who worry about overtime are the ones who live beyond their means anyway.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

without sales (revenue), high margins are meaningless. You can sell in emerging markets but will need to lower margins - i.e. increase revenue. Furthermore, these if-then spreadsheet scenarios are futile if the future is in disposable lenses - i.e. a revenue cliff drop.
    Alcon is finished due to the total lack of vision and unnecessary meddling by Novartis fools in a company that once boasted knowledgeable, dedicated employees.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We'll see ya at the unemployment office...

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree 100%

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Scott T mentioned a CMO during a meeting with production/compounding....Not sure what it means, but you may be on to something..

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Open main menu

Contract manufacturing organization
    Page issues
    A Contract Manufacturing Organization (CMO), sometimes called a Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), is an organization that serves the pharmaceutical industry and provides clients with comprehensive services from drug development through manufacture.[1]

Services offered by CMOs include, but are not limited to: pre-formulation, formulation development, stability studies, method development, pre-clinical and Phase I clinical trial materials, late-stage clinical trial materials, formal stability, scale-up, registration batches and commercial production.

Evolution

AdvantagesEdit

Outsourcing to a CMO allows the pharmaceutical client to expand its technical resources without increased overhead. The client can then manage its internal resources and costs by focusing on core competencies and high-value projects while reducing or not adding infrastructure or technical staff. Virtual and specialty pharmaceutical companies are particularly well-suited to CDMO partnerships, and big pharmaceutical companies are beginning to view relationships with CDMOs as strategic rather than tactical.

Working with a CMO also limits a client’s upfront capital investment for drug development, thus minimizing a project’s cost. By concentrating resources with a single-source provider, the outsourcing client can minimize technical transfer of projects or products, thereby reducing unforeseen costs and potentially speeding new products to market.

DISADVANTAGES:
    The pharmaceutical client using the services of a CMO does not have direct control of the project in regard to scheduling, cost, quality or accountability. Security is an issue to be considered when selecting a CMO, as intellectual property and data are exchanged between client and service provider.
    ST

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

who moved my cheese? ur, who kicked my piece of cheese across the dance floor?

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This thread has had 3873 views in 4 days as of right now, the person started this thread needs to be working in sales/marketing.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

RATS
    Boohoo