Lederle Labs: any reps from the Cyanamid days still around?

Discussion in 'Wyeth' started by Anonymous, Mar 29, 2008 at 4:01 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was with Lederle from 1988-95. With any job you have the good with the bad. As long as everything on your L-1 was above 100% of budget "The World Turned". I miss it, I miss many things about the job and the company. After reading the above posts it sounds like a lot has changed in the industry.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The L-1, wow, I have not heard that term in a long time! Good memories! Just curious, what do you do now?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Someone please tell another good Lederle story!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, well well, there are still some old Lederle people out there. My first meeting was in St. Louis in 1982, I think. It was bitter cold. I survived the Wyeth transition and could have stayed around for the Pfizer gig, but they made an offer I couldn't refuse. Going on 5 years retired and don't miss a thing. I was reduced down to a gofer and a caterer. I won 3 Gold Cups and a Golden Circle. I hate the whole industry!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BTW, one of these days I will be wandering around hell and I WILL run across Matthew Garrett. The "sixty second detail". Do you remember sitting in those meetings timing details? How demeaning!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh, of course...HOW could we possibly forget the "60 second detail?"
    You are right...so demeaning and ridiculous!! I'm now retired, but when I look back on incidents like this..it makes me laugh out loud!! In the "real world" I never really carried out Matthew Garrett's orders as I knew it wouldn't fly with my doc's and common sense told me better. I can only imagine that if I'd tried such tactics in front of doctors....they might have sent me to a shrink! Haha!!! I opted to just have normal conversation with them and it worked quite well...always has....always will.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was in one of those meetings. I'll never forget it. A rep, a very good rep, couldn't do it in 60 seconds. He was from a different ethnic group and knew the material very well but just couldn't do it in 60 seconds. Garrett made him do it over and over again and it was very demeaning. We were told we couldn't leave to catch our planes until we could verbalize a canned detail and do it in less than 60 seconds. I cried all the way home and almost quit a very good job. Glad I didn't. What an a-hole!!

BTW, the other rep went on to be promoted twice in the next 5 years!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I enjoy hearing from the old guard. We were the people that made Lederle. I always prided myself in the relationship I had with docs. A few are still in touch and we get together some.
    I despised some of the management people like Marquard, Bethune, Garrett, Barney Google, and others. They were perfect examples of the Peter Principle.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was with Lederle, and I am still around in the industry. I remember the MASH meeting, barely. I also remember the meeting in Atlanta where we had a track and field event. That was a fun meeting. All the Lederle meetings were big parties. It was a different time. Did not have to bring lunch to see the doc. Actually could sell, rather than stand in the hall and give a one point presentation. And we did not have Compliance Managers riding with you to be certain you give out a P.I. after every call.

Marquard was not a nice man. He had a huge bug in his ass. Bethune was okay when you got to know him. My DM's were good, decent people.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hats off to you if you are still in the field. I left in 09. All I was doing was making one lunch call a day for a bunch of spoiled office people. One day after arranging for lunch with several docs and a staff of 10, the docs didn't show. That is when I stopped scheduling lunches there. I could tell you a lot of stories about how I was taken advantage of in the hospital.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Disagree. Mike was a great guy. Sell and make your budget. This is a sells job. One year I had was bad. He still approved my raise, 8%. He brought Wyeth into the bottom line thinking. People were winning awards and sells was only 30% of the evaluation. What! When we folded it was better than 90% of your evaluation. Great thinker & great saes manager.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went on to work for a couple other pharm companies, but I saw where the industry was going so I got out and went on to something else. It was a great time that will never be repeated unfortunately. There is a Lederle page on Facebook, some old photos. Brings back a lot of good memories. I worked in the field and in Wayne, did a few things in Pearl River also.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was wondering what happened to a couple of guys. Matthew Garrett, Bob Winters and Todd Law. Anybody know?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Garrett and Law are, I believe still with Pfizer.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Winters just "retired" in Nov 2012.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where is Bob Winters now? He was good manager.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Started with Lederle in 1974. Left in 1989. Joined Immunex in 1993, and I am still with Amgen. I worked in LA, SF, Wayne, and back to LA. Most of the times were great. If you did your job, turned your stuff in on time, and were a good citizen, they paid you pretty well and left you alone. Never had any blockbuster products, but if you found the right docs to write, you did okay. 39 years has gone fast

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lederle rep. From 1965 thru 1994. New Orleans, Chicago. Great memories.anyone still around.