Just the facts please

Discussion in 'Applied Medical' started by Anonymous, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

O.K. I have had enough!! Here is the truth!!

Applied Medical treats their sales people like sh*t. Yes we have experienced growth, and thats because the sales team is kicking ass. Why not reward them for their efforts. It is always a game to find a way to screw the sales rep out of their bonus. Give me a break, if this companys management had any idea on how to motivate the sales team (and not demotivate) the increases that we have seen would be chump change. So stop being so cheap, empower your sales team to make some real cash and watch this rocketship take off.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FINALLY, someone who knows the truth! That's so refreshing! I'm tired of all the other truth tellers out there who act like they know the truth. I'm so glad you know the real truth and are here to tell us all!

So please, oh wise one, tell us more about the Truth!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, the truth is I got my start in medical devices at Applied. I thought the training was good, a little old school US Surgical, but it was quite thorough.

From there I made my quota the first year, and earned about $105-110K, plus whatever they did at the time for expenses (I think maybe $900 a month), but I of course had my own car. all I was looking for at the time was an opportunity to make six figures, and I did, so I was happy.

I definitely see your point that as my job evolved and the better I did, the more difficult it was to navigate all the politics, and many of my colleagues from training had all left, much for the same reason. So.....I got out and left for a more established company. Applied Medical definitely helped my career. If you don't like it and you feel you are getting screwed, leave. If you can't leave because you aren't being hired, then not too sure what to tell you.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If someone knows the real truth, can they please post it.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just think of a company managed by a bunch of Bill Lumbergs.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't confuse culture, specifically the way employees are treated, with revenue growth. A better indicator may be turn-over. Another factor to look at would be average compensation growth...particularly over the 5 year period you've identified. Based on the comments posted earlier, I'd be surprised if there was more than a 5% increase in the avg comp for a sales rep during this time. Yet revenue increased over 200%. It's this disparity in revenue growth compared to compensation that ticks the sales force off. And the leadership at AMR only makes it worse by bragging about a 30% growth rate year-over-year while at the same running a comp plan that;
    doesn't have an annual review provision
    doesn't increase pay when somebody is promoted
    doesn't crack the 100k mark for medical device sales reps (on avg)

So you're probably right in that AMR is a well run company...and the posters are probably right that they're getting screwed on comp, and the culture sucks.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A high growth rate doesn't automatically mean your compensation will go up. When a company has a successful year and continues to grow, they expand. More people means more revenue. Less people making more money doesn't mean more sales.

The common thread that I see on this board is me me me me me me me me me me me.

You don't like the comp, go somewhere else. It's that easy. Just remember, it's a buyers market, and you aren't the buyer.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep in mind everything is cyclical and Applied is only a beneficiary of this buyers market because Said cried to Congress because they couldn't pay to play with the heavy hitters. I don't work for Applied nor do I work for any of Applied's competitors. However, I know a lot of Applied people in SoCal and the field. This egotistical attitude will be Applied's ultimate demise. Good luck on the public offering and keep me posted when that energy comes to market.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I say, Ken L. This site makes me laugh. People still believe they can make money at Applied. Ha!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AGREED! Products are fine, for a commodity, but the company treats their reps like grabage! I know 3 people on a team of 7 who have not been paid their correct commissions due to company negligence. When they brought it to managements attention they were told "the books are closed for the quarter." They didn't right their own mistake. Terrible company to work for.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do they cheat their engineers of their pay or just steal from their sales team.
    Oh and someone asked about other companies on cafepharma? Applied is at the bottom, they work hard at not compensating the sales team and are openly proud of it. Instead of getting on this site and using ugly language the management team should accept that not everyone agrees with their approach. Why do they care and call people names? They have all the $$$ they won.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, high revenue growth doesn't automatically mean comp should go up. But Applied isn't a situation in which revenues grew 12-15% while comp inched up 2-3% over the same period. The point I was making is that the leadership team consistently talks about the exceptional growth in revenue, and compares that growth to EES and Cov, while at the same time running the least attractive comp plan i've seen in 10+ of device sales. Applied reps know they make less than EES or Cov, but the company keeps bragging about how much better Applied is doing than these competitors. It's not an approach that will inspire the troops.

But you can't argue with their success...they've consistently grown revenue and profitability, they don't have any trouble finding new hires and their turn-over rate hasn't hurt them too much.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They definitely have all the $$ why are they so angry.
    Do they just hate America?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Turnover never hurts them because there are others waiting in line to take an OR job or were recently let go in an OR position and suck it up for a year or two while waiting for the right opportunity. As long as they are privately held the comp plan won't change. If you don't like it move on and they'll find your replacement. The bottom line is keep working hard for your 95-120k annually or 125-150k if you're a LCS and keep lining the owners' pockets.

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot, they're going to go public real soon!!!! Lol.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are correct that "others are waiting", but the hospitals get tired of dealing with new reps from Applied and starting over.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work in a hospital with a large OR and companies with large turnover (new reps all of the time) are not taken seriously.

Applied Medical has pretty good reps in my area, but I've always heard they were not properly compensated.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I couldn't agree more!!! Every aspect of the job post is a lie!!! Lousy pay and if you do make some money one year, it's almost impossible to make any the next!!! And WORST benefits in the business!!! It's a joke of a company... Run!!!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Same bs happened to me with not getting proper mileage. Was told couldn't go back and correct previous year. They owed me over 2k and I was paid less than $600. My manager was a big part of the lie too because he was that louse that screwed up my cap in the first place. It's a bad place to work... Run away!!!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So far this year, I have been screwed on expenses and commission. Hope to be out of here soon. The good thing is that recruiters know that they treat us like shit, so don't question why you are looking for a new job within the first year. Have third interview coming up. Can't wait to get my official offer so I can tell the managers at Applied to go fuck themselves!

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well said